Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 25058, Question about Partitions (Read 17388 times)
DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 25058, Question about Partitions
Mar 8th, 2007 at 9:23am

Hello,
I've been having restoring an image that I made of a system, I keep getting the error 25058 not enough contiguous space etc etc, I have looked up the issue and found that PC DOS can cause the problem however I'm using a MS DOS from a boot cd that I made with the radified guide. The boot cd works fine on other systems its just this image.

The image consists of 2 partitions a C and D the D partition is just 2 gig for the pagefile. I am using Image Disk from Disk image and its still giving me this issue, The funniest part is, The hard drive I'm imaging is the EXACT one that the image was made from, ( I have stored the image on a network server ) The reason I'm imaging this system is just to ensure the image works so that I can image 20 more of the same computer.
Thanks in adavance for any information you can offer.
-Dan

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 25058, Question about Partitions
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 9:51am

DarqAngels

Quote:
I have stored the image on a network server

So, are you loading DOS network drivers and creating and restoring the image over the network?

Could be a network issue--can you place the image on a second internal HDD that you place in the machine for testing--will the image restore if it's *local* instead of over a network?

Or, burn image to optical media--will it restore *local* from optical media?

Or, use external USB HDD--will image restore *local* from external HDD?

Ghost has a poor track record when it comes to dealing with various error states--it often reports an error state when it's encountered--but it's 50-50 chance that the error reported is actually the true error that has occurred!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 9:56am

tried off a dvd and internal and still same issue

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:17am

DarqAngels

Have you tried placing a different HDD in place of the original--doesn't have to be the same size--but, a new HDD that has not been partitioned or formatted would be the best test bed.

Or, use a partitioning tool that has the ability to truly *zero* the boot tract of a previously partitioned and formatted HDD--this free tool's DOS version will do that: 

MBRWizard - The MBR utility you've been looking for!

Download here.

Reference
on how to use it here!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:24am

I tried deleteing the partitions with an FDISK and still no luck, When you say 0 the hard drive did you mean using the Wipe option in MBR?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:31am

DarqAngels

Quote:
did you mean using the Wipe option in MBR

Yes.

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:44am

lol.... wow this is going to take a while...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:51am

DarqAngels

Quote:
lol.... wow this is going to take a while...

What tool are you using?!  If you're using MBRWiz and wiping just the first 63 sectors (the boot tract)--it takes a few seconds!

If you're using a tool that wipes the whole HDD--that will take awhile--but some of those tools do not actually wipe the *boot tract*--only the data tracts!  So, make sure it zero's the *boot tract* as well!  Ghost's Gdisk has a wipe function--put only for whole drive--you can not wipe just the boot tract alone with it.

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 10:58am

gotcha, found the write tool and I ran that but it said invalid entry in boot table (May have been worded slightly different but that was the gist of it.)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 11:27am

DarqAngels

Quote:
it said invalid entry in boot table

The *list* function may worry about that, but the *wipe* function should not care--it's going to overwrite any *invalid entry in boot table*--but I suspect that is where your Ghost problem lies!

Is there something *unusual* or *different* about how your HDD is partitioned and/or formatted?

If MBRWiz will not work, just about any DOS disk editor can be used to *zero* out the first *absolute sector zero* which is where the Master Boot Record and the Master Partition Table reside.  Wiping those essentially makes the HDD *brand new* off the shelf--although data still will be on the rest of the HDD--that is not wiped off--and anyone with a disk editor could access that data--if security was an issue and you wanted to wipe the whole drive--then you need to run a whole drive wipe!

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 11:42am

After wiping it I still could not perform a disk copy  Embarrassed I had to do a copy of just the C partition from the image and it booted up. I suppose I will have to leave the pagefile on the OS partition  Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 12:03pm

DarqAngels

Are you doing *Local > Disk > To Image*, and then *Local > Form Image > To Disk*?

Are you limiting the size of the *pagefile* on that separate partition--if it is being managed by Windows, and if the size of the partition is perhaps too small for the size Windows wants to use--maybe that is causing a problem--I leave quite a bit a extra room for the pagefile--I get Windows pop-up warnings of running out of space if I try to use too small a partition for the pagefile.

IP Logged

DarqAngels
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 1:06pm

yes when i created the image i used local disk to image then  i used local from image to disk to bring it back,
The pagefile i have setup is 2mb on the C: for error logs and such and 2gigs on the D:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 1:12pm

DarqAngels

You could try doing a *Local > From Image > To Partition* restore from your whole disk image--you will have to pre-partition the HDD before restoring in this case--and then do two separate restores.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print