Cannot read image (Read 7212 times)
Arno Mong Daastoel
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oslo, Norway

Cannot read image
Mar 12th, 2007 at 2:50am

Increasing problem:
Ghost 2003 cannot read the images it creates (they are hidden but visible when running in XP).

This is independent of which partition and drive type I use (ATA, SATA). Even images on DVDs are hidden.

This is also independent of whether the images are placed on the root of a partition or in a map: Even the maps are hidden are hidden (when images are placed in maps).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Cannot read image
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 8:45am

Arno Mong Daastoel

Quote:
(they are hidden but visible when running in XP)

You will have to explain what *hidden but visible* means to you--it doesn't mean anything that I understand to me.

What Ghost procedure are you attempting when *Ghost 2003 cannot read the images it creates*? 

Quote:
This is also independent of whether the images are placed on the root of a partition or in a map

From *context*, I think this means the root directory of a partition verses a *sub-directory* (map?)--is that correct? 

Again, what does *hidden* mean to you?  I'm suspecting it means Ghost will not *load* an image file--even thought the files are *visible* in a directory listing of files--correct?

Do you get an *error message* of some sort?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Arno Mong Daastoel
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oslo, Norway

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 3:04am

Thanks for a quick reply!

I receive no error messages.

Your "misquoted" my unclear writing:
Wink
I wrote "they are hidden but visible when running in XP"  - Meaning hidden (for Ghost ! ) - but they are visible when running in XP. By "root" I meant directly on a partion (like C. or D etc, and not in a map).

I solved the problem temporarily but for the sake of solving the problem on a longer term I pursue the matter further :

I put the master disk into second computer, and then backed up from a DVD. The second PC has no problem in reading/viewing its own Ghost images, but could also not read the images that had been created on the other disk (from the first PC).

Putting the disk into the first computer again I experienced the following: I then made a new image which replaced the old invisible image (I was asked whether I wanted to replace it the old image, so Ghost registered that it was there but did not make it visible to me). When finished the new image was also invisible.

I then made a new image with a new name - and this worked. In a  second try I put the image in a map. This also worked.

For the sake of curiosity, in XP I copied the DVD-based image that was visible on the second computer, onto the harddisk of the first computer. Again the image was invisible in Ghost.

I have been using the same DOS Ghost floppy on both computers, so the problem is not likely to be the floppy. Neither is there anything wrong with the images, since I could use them with the second PC, but only from the DVD. It is also not likely to be a problem of the bios of the first PC, since the problem persisted on the second PC. Therefore I think it is a problem related to the harddisk (Seagate 60 Gb ATA, 2 partitions, NTFS formatted).

This problem started some time ago, but appeared only occasionally. Now for the first time it is permanent in the first PC. I can however (as mentioned above), see the NEW images created after this incident.....

Odd problem....
Wink

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Arno

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 8:57am

Arno Mong Daastoel

That does sound like an odd problem--have never heard of something like that before.

Quote:
I then made a
new image with a new name
- and this worked. In a  second try I put the image in a map. This also worked.

So, with this *NEW IMAGE* with a *NEW NAME*--you are no longer having a problem?  And you are just trying to trouble shoot that *old image*?

If that's the case, and the problem is gone with the new image--I would just move on.

But, I suspect there may be a *file name* issue--are you using any non-standard characters in the original image file name?  It's possible that you were able to use the name to create the image, but somehow the name is not DOS compatible when you then boot the next time.  You could try re-naming the image file name(s) using a simple name such as *test*--so *test0001.gho*, *test0002.ghs*, *test0003.ghs*, etc. and see if Ghost will now *see* the image file(s).

What is the original file name of the image file(s)?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Arno Mong Daastoel
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oslo, Norway

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 4:41am

Thanks for your swift reply!

I am using standard Latin (English) letters: in this case OFXP12 and never had any problems  with that before.

The problem is partly solved.
Although I can use the new image for the partition, I cannot use the image for the (formatted) disk. It is not a big problem though.

However, if I move the file or change the name, I will no longer be able to see it. I just tested this and in this case I changed the name from OFXP12 to CXP12.

This is a problem I do not have with the other PC, and is a quite problem that restricts one's freedom quite a bit.

Best wishes!
Arno

IP Logged

Arno Mong Daastoel
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oslo, Norway

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 4:58am

I just made another test:

To see if the Seagate harddisk is the problem I will copy and move a working image on a another hardddisk, a WD SATA 250 Gb disk.

Result?
These are neither visible in ghost (but of course in XP).

This makes the problem even odder since it is not a harddsik problem. Neither is it a floppy problem, nor a bios problem (since the images made on the fist PC also cannot be read by the second computer).

The only images made by this computer are images that are not moved and not renamed. Luckily, the second computer for some reason managed to read an image on a DVD.

I am bewildered....
Wink

IP Logged

Arno Mong Daastoel
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oslo, Norway

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:19am

Another test:
I moved the SATA disk from the first to the second computer, and once again, and even here:

The "NEW" image was visible, but the moved image (a copy) was not  visible, nor was exact copy with another name ( " CXP12" ).

Even more bewildered...
Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print