Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Free on-line scan for Virus (Read 6128 times)
Generals
Gnarly

Free on-line scan for Virus
Mar 13th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Hello Guys,

i want to ask:  can you name a few site that will give free virus scan to PC's.   

i dont have a anti-virus in my computer since it can slow down performance. so i am looking for an online alternative.

thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Free on-line scan for Virus
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 7:30pm

Microtrend is the most popular.  Its the only one I've used and the only one I know of that I trust. 

....that's not to say there may be a few I don't know of.

IP Logged

Generals
Gnarly

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Thanks for the reply. i tried the site already.

does anyone know of any other site other than Trend Micro?

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 3:40am

You may be interested in some alternatives to using an online virus scan if you can't find any you like.

There are several antivirus programs that run on your computer that take up very few resources.

Another option is to run the antivirus program from a BartPE CD.  That way, you could reboot the computer, run the scan, then boot back into windows.  In this way, the antivirus program wouldn't take up any resources while you are using Windows, and if you can keep your definitions up to date, this method is actually more effective than using a virus scanner online or in Windows.

A third option is to run a virus scanner from a Linux LiveCD.  It would be easier and just as effective as using BartPE.  The only issue is that read/write support for NTFS drives in Linux is still beta.  It works, but there are occasional issues on some hardware.

Members of this forum could help you with any of the three options above if you are interested.

IP Logged

Generals
Gnarly

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:05pm

Thanks you for your reply MrMagoo;

just a few follow up questions:

1. can you name a few anti-virus programs that are good out there?

2. What's a BartPE CD? (sorry nob) and what anti-virus softwares can run on this CD?

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:52pm

I really like BitDefender for antivirus.  I think Rad prefers NOD32.  Both are much easier on computer resources than many others.

BartPE is a like a Windows live CD.  You can boot your computer from a BartPE CD.  Then, your computer is running off the CD instead of the hard drive.  This way, any problems that occur due to hardware issues or operating system issues can be fixed before rebooting the CD.  The BartPE environment looks similar to Windows, but not quite the same.  Wikipedia explains it better than I do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

Their website is here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I don't remember which antivirus programs run in it.  I haven't used it since I switched to Linux.  I think AVGFree will run in it, and I seem to remember that BitDefender works.  You have to build a plugin for BartPE and upload definitions, but its not too tough.  We can help you if you get stuck.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 12:57pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print