Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mapped Bootable CD using Norton Ghost2003 (Read 12499 times)
DVIOUSTECH31
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mapped Bootable CD using Norton Ghost2003
Mar 14th, 2007 at 4:50pm

I am trying to create a bootable CD using norton ghost 2003, but the twist is that I would like it to map to a network drive. I have tried several scenerios and nothing has seemed to work. I was wondering if anyone here has tried anything similar that has worked. 

Regards.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Mapped Bootable CD using Norton Ghost2003
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:26pm

NightOwl is the bootable CD guru. Have you seen:

> http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

for clues?

IP Logged

DVIOUSTECH31
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:56pm

Yes I have.. I actaully got the Cd to boot but locally... Could not get it to boot with the network mapping.

thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 1:12am

DVIOUSTECH31

Best way I can recommend creating a successful boot disk for network mapping is to use a system with a floppy disk drive and have the Windows Ghost 2003 interface installed on it.

Use the Ghost Boot Wizard to create a floppy boot disk, *Drive Mapping Boot Disk*--once you know it's working from booting from the floppy disk, then use that floppy in DOS with Ghost up and running to create a bootable optical disc--I use a small 340 MB FAT16  utility partition with only about 50 MB of data on it as a source to create a bootable Ghost CD's from floppies in only a few minutes.

You can then *ignore* the backup image on the bootable disc, and simply boot to DOS and do whatever Ghost procedure you planned on!

You may need to read the Ghost User Guide on creating *Boot disks with drive mapping network support* starting on page 82.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DVIOUSTECH31
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 8:15am

So it is as simple as adding the Oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe to the floppy and creating the bootable CD?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 9:28am

DVIOUSTECH31

Quote:
So it is as
simple
as adding the Oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe to the floppy and creating the bootable CD?

Well, that adds more DOS drivers to the floppy disk--and until you asked that, I had not thought through the making of the network mapping boot floppy with the Ghost Boot Wizard.

So, I went and looked at the Boot Wizard--and it looks like I end up with a single boot floppy with *ghost.exe* on it when I use PC-DOS and the NIC DOS drivers for my system--so the technique I mentioned would work fine for that.  You do have to supply the needed network parameters asked for during the steps to create the floppy disk.

But, if you add the CD-ROM DOS drivers--I'm betting that will exceed the 1.44 MB size of the floppy--I suspect the Ghost Boot Wizard did not include the CD-ROM DOS drivers because it assumes if you are mapping a network server, then you are basically saying the Ghost images are on that server and not a local optical drive--so because of space limitation--it does not offer both options. 
You can boot from a bootable optical disc without loading optical drive support for DOS access!

You basically will have to create a *custom* boot disc if you want both functions on a single boot CD--you can use WinImage to create a 2.88 MB boot sector image for use on the optical media--but your burning program has to support that option--and Ghost will not be able to create functional bootable optical discs using Ghost from that boot disc because Ghost only *understands* 1.44 MB boot sectors.

Or, you can remove *ghost.exe* from the drive mapping boot floppy disk created by the Boot Wizard, add the DOS optical drive drivers to that floppy boot disk, then boot to DOS and load Ghost from a *Standard Boot Disk*--but use the command *ghost.exe
-ghostoncd
* command line--that tells Ghost to place *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the bootable optical disc whenever an image is being saved to optical media--now, when creating a bootable optical disc and Ghost asks for the boot floppy--remove the *Standard Boot Disk floppy*, and place the *modified* mapping boot floppy in the floppy drive--now Ghost will add the DOS boot files on that *modified* mapping boot floppy to the boot sector of the optical disc--and because you used the *-ghostoncd* command line switch, *ghost.exe* will be placed on the data part of the disc along with any image file you have told Ghost to create.

And, you will have to *customize* the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* to reflect where *ghost.exe* is located (i.e. the DOS path to the drive letter of your optical drive assigned to it by the DOS drivers).

First step is to create a functional boot floppy using the Ghost Boot Wizard that successfully maps your network server for you when you boot from the floppy--if you're not sure of the next steps, post the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* files from that floppy here, plus a list of files on the floppy, and what the total data size of the files are--we can than walk through the steps from there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DVIOUSTECH31
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 9:45am

Well I added the DOS drivers and it ALMOST worked... I got several errors on the network mapping.. I am assuming I have to amend the batch files to see the correct drive. I will test your theory next!

Thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print