Send Topic Print
Newbie questions (Read 32042 times)
David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Re: Newbie questions
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 4:17pm

Brian,
Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated. In case it is of any importance, I have PowerQuest PM V 8.01 (dated 2003), i.e. it's not a Symantec/Norton branded version of the product.

I only seem to have the PM installation CD. Is that the same as the "PM boot CD"? If not, I'll have to dust off some floppies - not something I've used for several years!

David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 4:40pm

See if you can boot to it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 4:58pm

David, I assume you only have one partition on your 36 GB HD.

Install your 146 GB HD in the computer and make sure both HDs are seen in the BIOS. Boot to the PM CD.

Click the drop down arrow to get Disk 2. It should all be Unallocated Space. Right click in the US and click Create. The following are the only fields to use. Make it a Primary Partition, NTFS, Label 1, Size 50000 MB. OK.

Right click in the US and click Create. Make it a Primary Partition, NTFS, Label 2, Leave Size alone. OK.

Right click in the first Partition, the one you labelled 1 and click Delete. Yes. Now click Apply.

When it's finished click the drop down arrow to get Disk 1. Right click in your partition and click Copy. The next window should be your US on Disk 2. Click OK, Apply, Yes.

When it's finished use the drop down arrow to get Disk 2 and Right click in the second Partition, the one you labelled 2 and click Delete. Yes. Now click Apply.

When it's finished exit from PM. Shut down your computer, remove the 36 GB HD from your computer, move the 146 GB cables to the boot position and start your computer. I expect to hear good news.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 6:05pm

David, I just realized I left out the final resize step. Not to worry. We can do it after everything is complete. We need to resize the new partition from 36 GB to 50 GB. A 10 second job.

This resize step should have happened before deleting the partition labeled 2.

To resize after you have finished....
Boot to the PM CD. Right click in your 36 GB partition and click Resize/Move. In the New Size field type 50000 (or whatever you desire). OK, Apply, Yes.
Exit from PM and reboot.

IP Logged

David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:14pm

Brian,
I have just finished the process exactly per your description. Your last post arrived after I had started, but I worked out the need myself for resizing the partition before exiting PM. I am delighted to say that everything appears to be ok - so far. I now have a 146GB 15k SCSI disk running in place of the previous 36GB 10k SCSI disk.

I never knew that PM could do such things. I am extremely grateful for your assistance. You have saved me a lot of time and effort!!!!
Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:18pm

Very pleasing. Glad I could help.

It's been a while since I've copied partitions with PM. After I realized I'd left out a step I also realized that we didn't need to create those two partitions either. Anyway, it was fun.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:31pm

David_Anderson wrote on Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:14pm:
I now have a 146GB 15k SCSI disk running in place of the previous 36GB 10k SCSI disk.

I haven't used SCSI disks. Do you subjectively notice an OS speed difference between 10k and 15k?

IP Logged

David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Reply #22 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:46pm

Brian,
I haven't played enough with the new setup to find out if there is a noticeable speed improvement. The old drive had very little free space and was badly fragmented. The copy process recreated that same fragmentation on the new drive, so I'm currently in the middle of defragging it.

I'll report back within a day or two whether I can see an obvious change of speed.

I've been using SCSI disks in Dell Precision Workstations for many years. Perhaps I'm tempting providence, but I have never had any disk failures - unlike the IDE disks I used to use. SCSI disks are built to higher quality standards to cope with running 24/7 in server arrays. Most of my disks have been bought new via eBay at much less than list price.

David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:53pm

David_Anderson wrote on Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:46pm:
The old drive had very little free space and was badly fragmented.

That's interesting. What was the % of free space? I read somewhere (so it may not be true) that you need at least 15 % free space to perform a clone. Have you proven this % incorrect?

IP Logged

David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Reply #24 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 8:02pm

If I remember correctly, there was 5.5GB free on the original 36GB disk - which is just over 15%. In percentage terms, I guess my disk wasn't quite as full as I implied but in absolute terms 5.5GB seemed like a very small margin for expansion.

The rule of thumb you quote may still be correct and I may have been lucky not to trip over such a problem.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 8:18pm

For defragmenting, Diskeeper won't work if the free space is less than 15 %. PerfectDisk claims to work with 5 % free space.

IP Logged

David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Reply #26 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 7:24am

Brian,
The prime motivation for the disk change was to get more space. The price premium I paid for that disk to be a 15k rpm version instead of 10k was not that great so I was happy to give it a go.

Unfortunately, I never established any benchmarks before swapping the system disks so it is impossible to quantify any improvements resulting from the increased rotation speed. However, my gut feel is that most of my heavy duty Adobe apps are opening faster than before (and a virus scan of the system disk was running in the background when I did this check).

Bottom line? 15k rpm disks won't change your life but if you can get them for not too high a premium over 10k disks they may well prove a good investment. You can never have too much speed...

David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:53pm

David, is Ghost 12 still on the horizon? If you go ahead, let us know what you think of the application.

IP Logged

David_Anderson
Dude

United Kingdom

Reply #28 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 6:11pm

Brian,
Yes, I'm still interested in getting a reliable and easy to use tool for making image backups of my system disk. I use Retrospect for my data backups but Retrospect's disaster recovery solution appears to be rather complicated and prone to failure. NG12 will probably be the answer, though I am a little disappointed to find that Symantec does not offer a trial version of Ghost. I'll wait to see what you guys think of it...

David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 6:19pm

David,

You can get trialware. I think it creates images of all partitions and restores images of non OS partitions. It can't restore OS partitions as you don't have a Recovery Environment CD. It won't do Copy My Hard Drive.

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListTri...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print