Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 & Corrupt Recovery Environment (Read 17701 times)
leesiulung
Ex Member

Ghost 10 & Corrupt Recovery Environment
Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:41pm

Hi,

I searched, but did not find the answer to my problem. Anyhow, I recently purchased Ghost 10 to image my new computer. Upon boot up from Ghost 10 CD with both my SATA hard drives connected and starting classic Ghost 8.2 it always stops and says that some files are corrupted.

Oddly enough, if I only have one drive connected it boots from the Ghost 10 CD just fine and does all the functions perfect including creating and restoring images in classic Ghost 8.2. Also booting from CD with both SATA drives connected takes a significant longer time than with one drive connected.

Since I eventually wanted to backup a RAID array I tried booting up from the CD again and hitting F6 to give it the drivers. This is after I enabled RAID (with the two drives) in BIOS and made sure Windows has the correct drivers. Anyhow, giving it the correct drivers and selecting the two drivers needed for my setup it prompts me for a file that is clearly on the floppy. It won't continue without this.

I'm wondering what is going on here?

My setup
2x WD RE SATA Drives
nForce 590 motherboard (nvidia designed board)

I tried following advice from FAQ, but can't find the AHIC mode or compatibility mode in my BIOS. There are very few SATA settings, but the ones there are

"Extended IDE Drive"  possible setting: None or Auto
"Access Mode" possible setting: Large or Auto

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking the drivers that loads from the CD is incompatible with my board and gives corrupt data.... But that also prevents me from loading the correct drives. I could try and create a new cd, but it sound awfully difficult.

Please help, as I spent so much time already.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 & Corrupt Recovery Environment
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:47pm

IP Logged

leesiulung
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:29am

Brian, thank you for helping me out.

I actually found the solution to this. After chatting with Symantec support which happens to be pretty decent. This could be because my problem perhaps was pretty obvious. As I thought it was related to drivers. The technician recommended I run Driver Validation tool from the disc. Lo and behold, a bunch of drivers were missing from the disc. Contact Symantec to get a custom GHOST CD and my problem seems so far to have disappeared. I will report back once I make an image of a RAID-1 array.

Here are instructions to obtain a Custom Ghost Recovery Disk:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/0/4428046f6aa2d7108825719a00...

By the way, the return time on the ISO image for the CD disc was amazingly fast. Within 2-hours. I'm impressed!!! Cudos to Symantec.

Hope these instruction helps someone else too.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:54am

leesiulung,

Thank you. I haven't seen that link before. It will be a BIG help.

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 10:13pm

Hi

They have a whole page of the things, once they see your specs they will tell you which one to download.

I just went through this whole thing.  Boot like a champ now.

Mike

IP Logged

leesiulung
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 11:14pm

Just wanted to report that the disc works wonderfully. I'm glad this is helpful.

The new form threw me off and i couldn't login to the old forum. I'm not sure I like the interface of the new one.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 1:04am

leesiulung

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the interface of the new one.

Hum along while rocking back and forth:

*Change is good, change is good, change is good....*

You can change the look of the forum in your Profile Options--we're still tweaking the functions and appearance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:33am

RE:  "After chatting with Symantec support which happens to be pretty decent" (Reply #2)

It is worth noting that not every interaction with Symantec support is perceived negatively.  Indeed, if more individuals reported their positive experiences, a more balanced viewpoint on the issue might emerge.

Wink

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 3:08pm

Quote:
It is worth noting that not every interaction with Symantec support is perceived negatively.  Indeed, if more individuals reported their positive experiences, a more balanced viewpoint on the issue might emerge.

But would that constitute a scientific conclusion?   Smiley

I guess you would probably still agree with your previous statement/post:
Quote:
From my perspective, unscientific polls and the missives of scatted users on forums are nothing more than “random noise.”  As a consequence, I personally would not use such “evidence” to argue either “for” or “against” the hypothesis of Symantec’s performance on customer service.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 3:37pm

Ghost4me

Quote:
Quote from Pleo on Feb 2nd, 2007, 8:57am:

From my perspective, unscientific polls and the missives of scatted users on forums are nothing more than “random noise.”  As a consequence, I personally would not use such “evidence” to argue either “for” or “against” the hypothesis of Symantec’s performance on customer service.

On a *fishing trip* to see if the *Pleo fish* will *bite*?!!!!   Grin

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 3:41pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 3:37pm:
On a *fishing trip* to see if the *Pleo fish* will *bite*?!!!!   Grin

Of course.  Just part of our long established friendly repartee.  (I think we both actually enjoy it!) 

Smiley

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print