Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
G10 can't find a recovery point (Read 8726 times)
mustafacatflap
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

G10 can't find a recovery point
Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:49am

Hi, complete Newby!

Trying to recover a hard drive.  It's a new upgrade and my original drive is fine, just too small.  I've tried to clone it and it seems to work well until I install it in place of the original and then Windows can't boot from it.  I haven't an clue why and I'm exhausted trying variations to make it work.

My latest attempt involves just sticking it into the machine and trying to recover to it from my daily G10 backups.  All goes well until Ghost looks for a recover point and then it tells me it can't find any and that I should seek alternatives.

WHen I start to look, I see the drive where I keep them all - the 'F' drive - and, in the tree, it has a + sign against it.  When I click on the +, nothing else happens.  The drive won't expand and I can't select a recovery point from it.

Every other USB drive attached to my machine will expand and I could access anything else.  Has anyone any idea why my usb hard drive wont show during the recovery process?

One other odd thing, when I look at its 'properties' in Ghost, it says the drive is full, although it isn't when I look at it in WExplorer. 

The latest recovery point, according to Ghost ,is this morning at 0900.

Please help

Jimbo

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: G10 can't find a recovery point
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:33pm

mustafacatflap wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:49am:
  I've tried to clone it and it seems to work well until I install it in place of the original and then Windows can't boot from it.

mustafacatflap,

For cloning, look at these pages....

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

For restoring images...

Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the Unallocated Space on your new HD. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signature
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes.

Let us know if this helps. Can you see your USB HD now?

IP Logged

mustafacatflap
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:46pm

Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next

Thanks for the response

I can't give it a go just yet but, it seems to go wrong when I get the message about No recovery points. When I click 'Open another location' I can see the drive letter (which is F) but when I click on it, it doesn't expand. If I just click OK at that point, I get the same message again - Can't find a recovery point at this locatiion - or something similar.  I just can't get past that point, Ghost doesn't seem to be able to expand the 'F' drive and as I have quite a few folders on it I need to navigate to the correct one  Sad

Any help?

Jimb

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:58pm

mustafacatflap wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:46pm:
When I click 'Open another location' I can see the drive letter (which is F) but when I click on it, it doesn't expand.

Jimbo,

Have you tried other USB ports for your external HD? Also, unplug all USB devices except for your external HD. Mouse and keyboard excepted. Certainly unplug any memory cards.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:28pm

I also wonder whether the F: drive in your Recovery Environment is really your external HD. See what happens when all other USB devices are unplugged.

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 10:08pm

Hi

I had something similar just today.
I only wanted to retrieve a deleted file that was in my backup.

When I went to the restore files app. I could see the backups on my external drive but it kept saying that it couldn't read any of the backup files.

Since it wasn't really that important I just removed all my backups and created a new one, but it doesn't give me a lot of faith in having this work when I do have a real emergency.

I did check and my new backup is readable but my older ones were too when I created them.

Mike

IP Logged

mustafacatflap
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 5:36am

Mike

That's what I was worrying about too!

Anyway, a little further along the way of this Odyssey I now have a problem where my machine can't see my new hard drive.

I have it jumpered as a slave and it's seen by the BIOS - or at least it recognises there's another HDD in place but it doesn't know how big it is or what it's serial number is.  However, it isn't recognised in Disk Management.

I've tried just about everything I know to get Windows to see it.  This includes unplugging it and re-installing it, removing the power supply and grounding the machine by pressing the on/off button etc etc.

It used to see it, like when I was trying to put a recovery point on it (but couldn't because Ghost 10 said I don't have any recovery points - right at the beginning!)

Anyone here know a way of getting windows to see the new HDD so I can carry on experimenting?

BTW It's a Dell 3000 dimension with Phoenix BIOS, P4 and the disk I am trying to get recognised is a Maxtor.  FOr some reason, the BIOS calls it a Maxtor Calypso, but when the machine was recognising it, it called it by its serial number and also gave its capacity; at the moment it just says Calypso and size n/a.

Jimb

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 6:30am

Dell are keen to have their HDs connected as Cable Select rather than Master/Slave. Give that a try.

IP Logged

mustafacatflap
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 7:18am

Ah, thank you.  I shall give that a try

Jimb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print