Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery from Ghost 7 Corp DOS images? (Read 23922 times)
satyr
N00b

\devnul

Recovery from Ghost 7 Corp DOS images?
Mar 27th, 2007 at 3:09pm

I have a dos disk of ghost 7, ~ 630kbytes, which I imaged a Windows 2000 system into spanned high compression images. Ie imaged an NTFS OS partition into an empty NTFS partition using the dos bootable ghost 7.

I then burned the spanned images (2 GB *.gho + 0.8 GB *.ghs) onto a DVD disc. Ghost seven only burns onto CD's.

Today I tried to restore those images from DVD and of course I hit problems.

i) Ghost 7 cannot read nor restore from DVD's.
ii) A Ghost 11 I managed to borrow (boots from some Live CD) would not recognise the Ghost 7 images on the DVD as being a Ghost image!  I presume this has something to do with Ghost's chequered past and it's various purchases by Symantec etc?
iii) I found a utility to copy the images from the DVD onto the new NTFS partitions I just made and formatted. But this time Ghost 7 (dos boot) wont even see the NTFS partitions, let alone read them or acknowledge their existence.

Question: Is there any other package/utility that can: a) read either NTFS or DVD media, AND b) restore highly compressed images made by Ghost 7, dos? If not, any suggestions/alternatives to restoring from these images?

Thank you.

Satyr
P.s. Hi btw. I'm new, and this board is a good idea Smiley

i tried to sign but my pen slid all over the monitor leaving no impression

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: Recovery from Ghost 7 Corp DOS images?
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 3:51pm

satyr wrote on Mar 27th, 2007 at 3:09pm:
I have a dos disk of ghost 7, ~ 630kbytes, which I imaged a Windows 2000 system into spanned high compression images. Ie imaged an NTFS OS partition into an empty NTFS partition using the dos bootable ghost 7.

I then burned the spanned images (2 GB *.gho + 0.8 GB *.ghs) onto a DVD disc. Ghost seven only burns onto CD's.

Today I tried to restore those images from DVD and of course I hit problems.

ii) A Ghost 11 I managed to borrow (boots from some Live CD) would not recognise the Ghost 7 images on the DVD as being a Ghost image!  I presume this has something to do with Ghost's chequered past and it's various purchases by Symantec etc?
iii) I found a utility to copy the images from the DVD onto the new NTFS partitions I just made and formatted. But this time Ghost 7 (dos boot) wont even see the NTFS partitions, let alone read them or acknowledge their existence.

Question: Is there any other package/utility that can: a) read either NTFS or DVD media, AND b) restore highly compressed images made by Ghost 7, dos? If not, any suggestions/alternatives to restoring from these images?

Thank you.

Satyr
P.s. Hi btw. I'm new, and this board is a good idea Smiley

Can you try to copy the dvd images to a FAT32 partition. Then use Ghost to verify if the image is ok. If it is ok, then you should be able to restore.

SmileyRama

IP Logged

satyr
N00b

\devnul

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:29pm

Quote:
Can you try to copy the dvd images to a FAT32 partition. Then use Ghost to verify if the image is ok. If it is ok, then you should be able to restore.

Smiley* Rama

Thanks Rama! I didn't think of that.

Since I posted that message I persisted. Using Volkov commander I was able to get Ghost 11 to read and restore this time. I now have my win2k back Smiley

Next challenge is to recover my slave drives lost partition. It's a 250 GB WD with 120+ GB of data. I didn't have the media to back it up, and now my old server motherboard only sees the drive as a 33 GB drive. A freeware utility called "testdisk" see's the partition, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to apply the Dynamic Drive Overlay onto the primary master disk's mbr, without affecting the win2k's boot. But I guess this ain't the place for HDD partition recovery matters. I have posted the query at WD & Microsoft forums.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:45pm

satyr

Quote:

Hmmm....I'm betting it can--did your DOS boot include the necessary DOS drivers for optical drives--i.e. *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe*?

Quote:
ii) A Ghost 11 I managed to borrow (boots from some Live CD) would not recognise the Ghost 7 images on the DVD as being a Ghost image!

If you do not burn the image to optical media directly using Ghost, but instead create an image to a HDD and later use a third party burning software to place the image files on optical media, DOS Ghost will say the image file is not a Ghost file if you are attempting to use Ghost's built-in ability to access the optical drive (the drive is identified as *@CD-1.....* if Ghost is accessing the optical drive using its internal driver)--you need to load the DOS optical drivers so the optical drive is assigned a DOS drive letter--then when you access the image file in Ghost, it will be through the optical drive's DOS drive letter--and Ghost will then work with the image file just fine!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 5:52am

Glad to see the guys got help for you. Just as a general thing, the code in Ghost 11 still has all the old backwards-compatibility for older .GHO images back to at least version 3 (and possibly version 1, although it's hard to be completely certain). Compatibility back the other way isn't guaranteed - Ghost 11, for instance, contains extensions to the image format for the support of Ghost Explorer's NTFS image editing that Ghost 8.x can't necessarily restore - but we have never abandoned restore support for older image formats, period.

satyr wrote on Mar 27th, 2007 at 3:09pm:
I presume this has something to do with Ghost's chequered past and it's various purchases by Symantec etc?

Out of curiosity though, I'm a little perplexed by this. There's nothing at all chequered about our history, and there are no "various purchases", just one - Binary Research, created by Murray, to Symantec in 1998, and all the developers came over. In the main, we were left completely alone in Auckland to keep doing our thing (Joe Wang who came from 20/20 and was our VP for awhile certainly was hands-on, but really all he did was drive us hard to integrate 20/20's AutoInstall into our pieces).

We're all aware of Symantec's generally poor reputation for support, but I've seen the "Symantec ruins products" meme in respect to Ghost a few places and the simple fact is that everything we did, the original developers did trying to stay faithful to the original vision of the product. Now, we're only human, but I wouldn't blame some mythical corporate entity for anything we did voluntarily.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 9:38am

nbree

Quote:
I'm a little perplexed by this. There's nothing at all chequered about our history, and there are no "various purchases", just one - Binary Research, created by Murray, to Symantec in 1998, and all the developers came over. In the main, we were left completely alone in Auckland to keep doing our thing (Joe Wang who came from 20/20 and was our VP for awhile certainly was hands-on, but really all he did was drive us hard to integrate 20/20's AutoInstall into our pieces

Your insight regarding this issue is enlightening--and from a developer's point of view, because you are still supporting Corporate DOS Ghost 8.x and Ghost 11--you're not *seeing* the effect of *various purchases*!

Quote:
I've seen the "Symantec ruins products" meme in respect to Ghost a few places and the simple fact is that everything we did, the original developers did trying to stay faithful to the original vision of the product. Now, we're only human, but I wouldn't blame some mythical corporate entity for anything we did voluntarily.

But for the retail customer--the evolution of Ghost from the DOS based program to now Ghost 9.x and 10.x--and soon Ghost 12.x--because the development of the retail DOS based Ghost has ended--and the only Symantec solution available to the retail user is the *hot imaging* technology because Symantec purchased *DriveImage*--and still called it *Ghost*--I think that's where there is a sense of *ruining the original Ghost product* comes from!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

satyr
N00b

\devnul

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 2:39am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:45pm:
satyr

Quote:

Hmmm....I'm betting it can--did your DOS boot include the necessary DOS drivers for optical drives--i.e. *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe*?

Ghost 7 Dos disk does not have the DVD drivers. It has CD drivers but not DVD, therefore cannot read the media. Ghost11 does, but didn't recognise the Ghost 11 burns for the very reason you state below;

Quote:
Quote:
ii) A Ghost 11 I managed to borrow (boots from some Live CD) would not recognise the Ghost 7 images on the DVD as being a Ghost image!

If you do not burn the image to optical media directly using Ghost, but instead create an image to a HDD and later use a third party burning software to place the image files on optical media, DOS Ghost will say the image file is not a Ghost file if you are attempting to use Ghost's built-in ability to access the optical drive (the drive is identified as *@CD-1.....* if Ghost is accessing the optical drive using its internal driver)--you need to load the DOS optical drivers so the optical drive is assigned a DOS drive letter--then when you access the image file in Ghost, it will be through the optical drive's DOS drive letter--and Ghost will then work with the image file just fine!

What worked was what I stated 15 minutes before your above reply, loading third party DOS CD/DVD drivers.

nbree, thank you for your reply. My comment about Ghost's chequered past is based on the non-forum version of this site, where I recall a statement that Symantec purchased both Ghost and another imaging company, and called both products Ghost. I don't know to what extent there was functional/code merging that went on afterwards, but I much preferred the DOS version than the *hot imaging*. The *hot imaging* seems to be competing with other live back-up software and all, but I'd love to see the parent company, Symantec, release a simple DOS version of Ghost, because most of my colleagues and with my clients I have been using only the DOS version. Until the last couple of years where the DOS version 4, 5, even 7, no longer kept up with all partition formats, nor disk sizes (reads disk details off BIOS) rather than thru IDE/SCSI ports. BIOS is not always accurate. In particular when the HDD is an upgrade on motherboards without 48biglba etc.

But I'd still prefer a DOS version for several reasons:
a) Easy recovery when partition/OS no longer boots, hot version wont do that,
b) Doesn't take up space or live resources like the *hot imaging* version.
c) Don't want to spend full amount for hot version when only the DOS version is desired,
d) Extracting a fully functioning DOS version from Ghost 11 is not straight forward.

Thanks for your responses.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 8:33am

satyr

Quote:
Ghost 7 Dos disk does not have the DVD drivers. It has CD drivers but not DVD, therefore cannot read the media.

I can't speak to your system specifically--but on my system, the DOS optical drive drivers give me Ghost access to both CD-ROM drives and DVD-ROM drives--and it's the drive that determines what media, CD and/or DVD, that can be read once I have DOS access.

Your DVD drive may require special DOS drivers other than the generic *universal* drivers!?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 8:41am

Quote:
d) Extracting a fully functioning DOS version from Ghost 11 is not straight forward.

Can you elaborate?

Rama

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:28pm

satyr wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 2:39am:
"... But I'd still prefer a DOS version for several reasons:
a) Easy recovery when partition/OS no longer boots, hot version wont do that,
b) Doesn't take up space or live resources like the *hot imaging* version..."
Quote:
"... We don’t know with certainty yet, but:  (1) if Ghost 12 doesn’t include Ghost 2003 (DOS)/Ghost 8.2 (Windows PE) as early reports indicate; if (2) the Ghost component of Norton Save & Restore 2.0 likewise excludes Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2; and if (3) Norton SystemWorks Premier {i.e., the current version without a year designation} will now include Norton Save & Restore 2.0, then it seems to follow that licenses for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 will essentially become completely unavailable.

With Ghost 12 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 due to be launched by the end of April, we could be just 90 days away from the permanent disappearance of Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 as a purchase option for users seeking an image backup utility.  If that is the case, then I think this forum should highlight the situation so that users who wish to acquire Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 are able to do so while the opportunity still exists..."

Pleonasm

For the price of shipping and handling only, here is an offer - providing that you are located in the USA - that seems to meet the requirements you described above:

LAST CHANCE LAGNIAPPE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 CD included inside Norton Ghost 10.0 Retail Box Shocked

LAST CHANCE LAGNIAPPE ?: Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 elements for WIN PE included on Norton Ghost 10.0 Installation CD Shocked

CLICK HERE to view
FREE
offer on above bundle - after $70 Mail-In Rebate (MIR).

CLICK HERE to download $50 MIR form.

CLICK HERE to download $20 MIR upgrade form.

Now, if you really want to get downright fancy, then you could even go so far as to incorporate the essential components of the "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 while generating a bootable BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD to run in the Windows XP Preinstalled Environment (see below).  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those files created with Norton Ghost 9, Norton Ghost 10.0, or Norton Save & Restore during
"hot-imaging".
 Beyond all that, a BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD gives one a failsafe skeletonized Windows XP OS environment should HDD failures compromise the computer as recently happened to my daughter on her eMachine desktop model and then to one of her friends on a Compaq desktop PC.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print