Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error While Running Norton Ghost 03 Restore Wizard (Read 10124 times)
Scott274
N00b

I Love Radified!

Error While Running Norton Ghost 03 Restore Wizard
Mar 29th, 2007 at 11:42pm

My PC condition is in a miserable state. I want to format and restore my PC with norton ghost 2003 which i have but there is a problem. Err... actually two problems  Embarrassed

I cant launch ghost from windows because everytime i click on RunNow in the last step of the recovery wizard i always get this error:
Unable to find a free MBR slot in virtual partition dll...

Unable to find a free MBR slot in Virtual Partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk.

Does anybody know what this error is and how to get rid of it.  Undecided

Cant even use the ghost boot floppy disk as my floppy drive has stopped working. can a ghost boot CD disk be made atleast. I have windows 2000.

Help...  Cry

Edit: OH! posted in the wrong section, can any mod move this thread please and then edit this.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Error While Running Norton Ghost 03 Restore Wi
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 12:13am

Scott274

To use the Windows based Ghost, you have to have one of the possible 4 partition slots on the primary HDD that boots the system available--i.e. not in use already.

A HDD can have 4 primary partitions using standard configurations.  One of the four primaries can be an *extended* partition that allows you to create many *logical* partitions within it.  You must have already used them all 4 to partition your drive (or the manufacturer did).

Quote:
Cant even use the ghost boot floppy disk as my floppy drive has stopped working. can a ghost boot CD disk be made atleast. I have windows 2000.

If you have a stand-alone installation CD of Ghost 2003--it should be bootable to run Ghost.

Alternatively, Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 12:17am

Scott274

Quote:
My PC condition is in a miserable state. I want to format and restore my PC with norton ghost 2003

Just to be clear--if you create an image of a *PC in a miserable condition*--when you restore that image--the system will be in the exact same *miserable condition* as when you created the image!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Scott274
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 1:04am

OH! so thats what that stupid error means  Sad yes i have four drives c,d,e and f. So i cant launch restore wizard from the windows isnt it. or is there a simple solution for this.

A standalone ghost cd  Huh err... no i dont think i have any ghost 2003 cds standalone or not.

I will check out that alternative you suggested and post any further problems here only if i encounter any  Smiley

Dont worry   Smiley I already have a clean image of my c drive to restore to created almost a year back.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 1:09am

Scott274

Quote:
A standalone ghost cd   err... no i dont think i have any ghost 2003 cds standalone or not.

How did Ghost get installed on your system?

Quote:
is there a simple solution for this.

Delete one primary partition!  If you have a small one that you can move all the data off from to another partition--then delete it--and then Ghost should work fine!

IP Logged

Scott274
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 11:59am

I have made a CD with all my applications source files on it. Ghost 2003 exe application file has also been put on it by me for simplicity a long time back. I always install ghost 2003 from that exe file on my PC.

About that question i asked previously. is there a simple solution to lauching ghost restore wizard from windows without doing anything to my four partition drives.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:45am

Scott274

Quote:
About that question i asked previously. is there a simple solution to lauching ghost restore wizard from windows without doing anything to my four partition drives.

No.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print