Send Topic Print
Pesky (Read 16184 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Pesky
Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:37pm

On the page in the Ghost guide where I discuss "Getting your copy", I've given up on trying to maintain a valid farm of links where folks can a good deal on Ghost (& Ghost-containing products, such as System Works Premier) and install direct them to you in the forums, since you seemto have a knack for finding deals.

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1a.htm

Unless you think this is a bad idea.

I made this change doing the new-forum URL change a few days ago.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Pesky
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 7:07am

Rad wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:37pm:
"... direct them to you in the forums, since you seem to have a knack for finding deals..."

I think the basic concept is a very good idea; howzabout a sticky entitled something like 'Good Deals on Norton Ghost' Smiley  The main problem that I see would be redundant placement because having such a feature would be relevant to both the "hot-imaging" and "cold-imaging" boards.

One thing I would highly recommend is frequent cycling to prominently mark expired offers and then slough them off in a very few weeks, albeit they need to briefly "stay-on-the-shelf" in order to help folks who may have experienced difficulty with rebate submission.

EP
Cry  

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:58am

El_Pescador

I'm curious--I'm not sure why you are doing this so I thought I'd ask:

You appear to be using the [size=xx][/size] tags in your post for both the *quoted* text, and the *message text*.

I have set my Forum Profile Option to be *blk_gry3d_large* so that I see the forum posts in larger font sizes.

But your use of the above *size tags* over-ride the forum's template settings that I have chosen--so I end up seeing your posts in smaller font sizes.

Have you noticed that when you review you postings after they are submitted? 

Is there a reason?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:05am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:58am:
"... I have set my Forum Profile Option to be *blk_gry3d_large* so that I see the forum posts in larger font sizes... Is there a reason?

Well, to be candid, up to now I have set the larger font sizes so that my aging eyes can see them.  So, let me go and see if I can set my Forum Profile correctly.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:21am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:58am:
"... I have set my Forum Profile Option to be *blk_gry3d_large* so that I see the forum posts in larger font sizes..."

Lo and behold  Smiley   My Forum Profile has been set at *blk_gry3d_large* from the getgo, and I never tinkered with it.  I changed to some other settings which proved unsatisfactory, and when I reset to *blk_gry3d_large* the font sizes jumped up in size to a great degree Smiley

Now, I have to go back and do a little editing Smiley  

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:36am

El_Pescador

Quote:
Now, I have to go back and do a little editing  

I wouldn't worry about that--one can still see the posts--just have to look more closely!

This new forum seems to be a bit *quirky* and *cranky*--seems like some of the settings are not taking effect equally for everyone.

Do you have the *Moderator* editing functions available still?  I played with settings and MrMagoo still says he still does not have those function buttons!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:48am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:36am:
"... Do you have the *Moderator* editing functions available still?..."

I still have 'all my buttons' (seven in all) but today's Profile Change shortened the bottom row at the expense of the top row Roll Eyes

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 12:29pm

El_Pescador

Quote:
today's Profile Change shortened the bottom row at the expense of the top row

Hmmm...you'll have to explain that more--I'm not sure what you're talking about--screen shot please!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:06pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 12:29pm:
"... screen shot please!..."

... The first time out there were six buttons on the upper row and one on the lower row. Next, there were three buttons on the upper and four buttons on the lower.  Now, there are four on the upper and three on the lower Roll Eyes

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:15pm

Pesky,

if you want to post a (stickied?) thread, and keep it updated with deals you find, I will link to it (them) in the guides.

You can always post your thread in one forum and link to it from the other .. like we do with the FAQs.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:54pm

Rad wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:15pm:
"... if you want to post a (stickied?) thread, and keep it updated with deals you find, I will link to it (them) in the guides.

You can always post your thread in one forum and link to it from the other .. like we do with the FAQs..."

That sounds good to me, and I recommend the 'legacy' Ghost board as the primary site with links established likewise the FAQs.  I further recommend that individual posts have a brief shelf life with the thread being locked upon the expiration date of the promotion at issue.  In a matter of a very few days afterward, the thread should then be hidden but not deleted for several months.  Doing so could provide downstream comfort to viewers who experience a rebate request gone awry Smiley

Pesky
Cry  

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 6:44pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:54pm:
"... I recommend the 'legacy' Ghost board as the primary site with links established likewise the FAQs.  I further recommend that individual posts have a brief shelf life with the thread being locked upon the expiration date of the promotion at issue.  In a matter of a very few days afterward, the thread should then be hidden but not deleted for several months.  Doing so could provide downstream comfort to viewers who experience a rebate request gone awry...

Distasteful comments by one of our newer forum members today in a thread dealing with promotional rebates wherein he alluded to software piracy and warez as being preferable to paying for such products makes me wonder if future 'Good Deals on Norton Ghost' threads would be best locked at the very outset Smiley

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:12pm

El_Pescador

*KISS* principle--you are not the one who should worry about policing Symantec's EULA policies--but encouraging folks to invest in their very own copy of Ghost--be it *hot imaging* Ghost 10, or soon to be Ghost 12--or cold imaging using Ghost 2003, or Ghost32.exe on the Ghost 10 recovery CD--and whether that is incorporated into a BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD should not be of concern to you.

If a person has a purchased copy of Ghost, be it of any flavor--then they have one license for one system--and they can make and use that copy of Ghost on that system any way that is available to them!

When there is a current *special* available for Ghost products--place it in the *sticky* post and highlight the expiration date.  Once the expiration date arrives--simply delete the contents of the stick post and replace the information with something like *No current specials available at this time.*

When a new special comes along--replace the *No current specials available at this time.* text with the current new special information!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:29pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:12pm:
"... *KISS* principle... When there is a current *special* available for Ghost products--place it in the *sticky* post and highlight the expiration date.  Once the expiration date arrives--simply delete the contents of the stick post and replace the information with something like *No current specials available at this time.*

When a new special comes along--replace the *No current specials available at this time.* text with the current new special information!..."

As usual, your judgement is quite sound - but believe it or not, you quickly committed to writing where I was already heading with my notions in this matter.  You just beat me to it - as usual Smiley

Check your PMs Smiley

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:40pm

Rad wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:15pm:
"... You can always post your thread in one forum and link to it from the other... like we do with the FAQs..."

OK, we are up and running on the NG10 board.  Now, someone who knows the ropes needs to link it up to whatever other boards you Administrators - 'you Happy Few' - deem appropriate Roll Eyes

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:12pm:
"... Once the expiration date arrives--simply delete the contents of the stick post..."

Howzabout we insert the image template immediately below inside the original post - without overlaying the original - during the late evening of the expiration date and hold it for a few hours before permanent deletion.  Then, in lieu of a refreshment offer, we display the other template image at bottom in the event there are no applicable offers for the Norton Ghost line and related products only to wait for a better day Smiley

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print