Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10, Hibernation File & Norton GoBack file (Read 5507 times)
PacificFrank
Ex Member

Ghost 10, Hibernation File & Norton GoBack file
Apr 6th, 2007 at 11:39am

I expect Ghost 10 backs up everything on a drive. If so, is there a way to tell it NOT to back up the Norton Goback file and the Hibernation file. These files would be unnecessary in a backup and they oocupy a couple of GB on my system. I'd rather not need to delete them before every backup if I could tell Ghost to ignore them (assuming it does not already ignore them.) The same would be true for Windows restore points, which I expect is how GoBack works.

On another note, is you are using ZoneAlarm, it helps to delete the log files before backing up. They can occupy a few hundred MB. (see find.pcworld.com/56149)

Thanks

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10, Hibernation File & Norton GoBack fil
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 1:29pm

PacificFrank, Norton Ghost 10 (NG10) automatically excludes the hibernation and paging file from the backup (see page 57 in the Norton Ghost 10 User’s Guide).

Since NG10 is designed to create an image of an entire drive (aka partition), there is no mechanism for the user to specify exclude files.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:17am

i've heard bad things about go-back (compatibility probs) .. which may be old info, at this time.

if you have ghost, you don't need go-back.

Quote:
On another note, is you are using ZoneAlarm, it helps to delete the log files before backing up. They can occupy a few hundred MB. (see find.pcworld.com/56149)

helpful info, since many use zone alarm.

i should add to my page on pc maintenance:

http://radified.com/Articles/pc_maintenance.htm

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Rad wrote on Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:17am:
"... i've heard bad things about go-back (compatibility probs) .. which may be old info, at this time... if you have ghost, you don't need go-back..."

IN THEORY, Roxio GoBack - and maybe even Norton GoBack - would present no problem providing
a "cold-imaging" Ghost v2003/Ver 8.2 working strictly from removable media was used to do
"(whole)disk-to-image" Backups.  I am certain that Roxio GoBack versions had to be disabled - but
not uninstalled - whenever v2003 was installed internally and operated via GUI.

From my perspective, running Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 only from a Reatogo-X-PE CD for weekly "disk-to-image" Backups while having GoBack constantly onboard would in a sense emulate performing "hot-imaging" incremental back-ups - and this is indeed a fascinating "Road-Less-Traveled" notion to air out Roll Eyes

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 8:14pm

we could air that out, pesky. we've been known to air a thing or two.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1