Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10: Bootable USB Ghost Thumbdrive with Image (Read 4247 times)
Jutral
Ex Member

Ghost 10: Bootable USB Ghost Thumbdrive with Image
Apr 9th, 2007 at 7:11pm

Greetings. I apologize if this has been asked, but after doing a lot of searching here and elsewhere, I haven't found any solutions that are quite what we are looking for.

We utilize Ghost 10. We currently host Ghost images on an NFS share on the network or, in some situations, via a USB attached device. In either case, we boot the machine using the Ghost bootable CD.

We have a situation where we would like to have one bootable USB thumbdrive with an image of a machine. So, for instance, we need to reimage the machine. We could stick in the USB thumbdrive, boot into Ghost from the thumbdrive (our BIOS allows this), and then use an image on the thumbdrive to reimage the machine.

While I've found a few different ways (of varying levels of difficulty) of simply getting a Ghost bootable image on the drive, many of these ways seemed to prevent allowing the additional loading of an actual image (some size dependent) to use on the drive as well.

So, basically:
1) What is the preferred way (if there is one) of putting a Ghost bootable image on a USB thumbdrive for general booting use?
2) Is it possible, preferably on the same drive, to put a Ghost image?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10: Bootable USB Ghost Thumbdrive with I
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 8:28pm

Quote:
While I've found a few different ways (of varying levels of difficulty) of simply getting a Ghost bootable image on the drive, many of these ways seemed to prevent allowing the additional loading of an actual image (some size dependent) to use on the drive as well.

Jutral,

You are ahead of us. I haven't seen anyone discuss booting Ghost 10 from a USB flash drive. Could I ask how you do it?

Sometime ago, using UltraISO, I added a backup image to Ghost 9 and burnt a DVD. From memory, the backup image wasn't able to be used by Ghost 9 and I lost interest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print