Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating image of my hard drive using ghost 10 (Read 4909 times)
AThom10731
N00b

I Love Radified!

Creating image of my hard drive using ghost 10
Apr 13th, 2007 at 7:16pm

My hard drive seems to be acting flaky therefore I would like to burn image of my hard drive to bootble CDs/DVD.  I have Ghost 10 and Ghost 2003.  I only have one hard drive.
Can anyone help?  I have installed Ghost 10 but do not see any clear instructions in the manual.
Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: Creating image of my hard drive using ghost 10
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 7:31pm

AThom10731 wrote on Apr 13th, 2007 at 7:16pm:
My hard drive seems to be acting flaky therefore I would like to burn image of my hard drive to bootble CDs/DVD.  I have Ghost 10 and Ghost 2003.  I only have one hard drive.
Can anyone help?  I have installed Ghost 10 but do not see any clear instructions in the manual.
Thanks! Smiley

Probably the most efficient way is to get a second hard drive and clone the bad drive to it. It looks like the HD will fail soon.

Rama

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 8:49pm

AThom10731, please see chapter 5 (page 45+) in the Norton Ghost 10 User's Guide.  You can create and store the recovery point (aka image) on the same drive you are backing up – and then burn the image to DVD discs; or, burn the image directly to DVD discs.  The latter would probably be the better path in your case.

Please reply with any questions you may have.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

AThom10731
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 6:57pm

When you save the recovery point files to CD/DVD, are there other steps I need to take to make  the CD/DVD bootable?

At work, I received a bootable CD set for one of my PCs with a ghost.exe file.  I install the new hard drive, boot to the CD and run ghost.exe to load the new hard drive with the image files.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 7:22pm

AThom10731

Quote:
At work, I received a bootable CD set for one of my PCs with a ghost.exe file.

That would be for the older Ghost version that is DOS based--you can not use that Ghost program with Ghost 10's image files--totally different approach--Ghost 10 must run under Windows or some variant.

Your Ghost 10 installation disc is also your bootable *Recovery Disk*--it loads WinPE (Pre-installation Envirionment) that Ghost 10 can run under--you recover from within that Windows interface.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

AThom10731
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:35pm

I have not had any luck with creating the restore point on my existing hard drive.  Is a second partition necessary?  I have approx 10GB of used space on my drive.
Thanks for your help.
:-[

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print