Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on Ghost Boot CD/DVD--on Steroids! (Read 4030 times)
op
Ex Member

Question on Ghost Boot CD/DVD--on Steroids!
Apr 14th, 2007 at 2:51pm

My system has 1 sata HD, 1 ide DVD burner and also a floppy drive. I have made images of my XP system with Ghost v2003 via a bootable floppy before (burning the image to a DVD).  I wanted to try making an image via a bootable cd so I made a Ghost Boot CD per Nightowl's guide.

Everything seems to work with the CD up to the point when ghost ask me if i want to make my cd/dvd bootable. When i select yes, it tells me that it can't find the bootable files. At this point I still have the ghost boot cd in the drive. Do I need 2 drives for this to work? (1 drive for the boot cd and a 2nd drive for the blank dvd) or Did i just screw up when making my Ghost Boot CD?

Any suggestions

I want to recover ghost explorer of an old corrupt drive (where i had installed ghost 2003). Does anyone know what the file is named (ghostexplorer.exe ?)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Question on Ghost Boot CD/DVD--on Steroids!
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:03am

op

Quote:
Everything seems to work with the CD up to the point when ghost ask me if i want to make my cd/dvd bootable.

That's strange--if you are able to boot successfully, and load Ghost from the *Ghost Boot CD per NightOwl's guide*--then the boot files have been loaded from the CD into the *virtual* floppy drive which should be *A:\*.

When you tell Ghost that you want to make the cd/dvd bootable, does Ghost give you a message saying *make sure you have the boot floppy disk in drive A:\?

And do you press the button indicating *Yes* the boot floppy is in A:\ drive?

If, either when booting and you get to the A:\ prompt--or if you have already started Ghost--*Quit* Ghost to the A:\ prompt--can you type *dir*, the *enter* (DOS *list the directory* command), and do you get the boot files plus the *ghost.exe* file in the listing for the A:\ directory listing?

Quote:
I want to recover ghost explorer of an old corrupt drive (where i had installed ghost 2003).

Not sure what you are asking!?

Quote:
Does anyone know what the file is named (ghostexplorer.exe ?)

Ghost Explorer goes by the program file name of *Ghostexp.exe*.  It is the Windows based program file (must run it under Windows) that loads *Ghost Explorer*--it's the Windows Ghost program that lets you mount DOS Ghost image files in Windows to see what's in the image file--and you can extract files from the image file onto your Windows system using it.

If you have a *file manager* program that can handle *CAB* files, such as *WinZip* or *WinRAR*--then you can extract it from the Ghost installation CD--its path is *X:\Install\Data.Cab\F1088_Ghostexp.exe*.

After you extract it, just re-name it to *Ghostexp.exe* and simply left mouse click it, and it will run the program for you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

op
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:32pm

I like to apologise for wasting everyone's time, turns out it was operator error. I had removed the ghost cd too early during the process. I tried it again, this time making sure the the boot cd was still in the drive and only replacing it with blank media when asked. Burned my dvd and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks to nightowl for the quick response and easy to follow guide (Ghost Boot CD/DVD - on Steroids).

I was also able to find my original ghost 2003 installation cd, so i was able to extract ghost explorer out of it. I had misplaced my installation cd (ghost 2003), so i was afraid that i had to go looking for it off an old hard drive (sitting on a shelf).

Thanks again and sorry for the stupidity

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:47pm

op

No problem--glad to hear you got things sorted out!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print