Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 released this week .. sightings? (Read 20806 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Ghost 12 released this week .. sightings?
Apr 15th, 2007 at 7:54pm

Says here:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/themes/vista/faq.jsp

that Ghost 12 is supposed to be released this week (April 18th).

Would be interested to know if we see any sightings.

I usually shop at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Software.aspx?name=Software

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=377&name=Security-Utili...

i searched for ghost 12, but found nothing:

Quote:
We have found 0 items that match your search criteria "norton ghost 12".

I wish the boys at Symantec would send me a dozen copies, so I could pass them out, and we could play with the new software.

a Google search for "Norton Ghost 12" brings up the Rad Ghost guide and our Ghost 12 threads:

http://www.google.com/search?q=norton+ghost+12

I'm also looking for a Ghost 12 user's manual .. if anybody finds that.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 12 released this week .. sightings?
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:25am

Rad, since Symantec missed the release date for Norton Save & Restore 2.0 by a few weeks, it might also be the case the same will be true for Norton Ghost 12.

I have searched for a User’s Manual for Norton Ghost 12, and have been unsuccessful in finding one.  Symantec did post the manual for NSR2 on the same day that the product was released, and hopefully this will occur again when NG12 appears.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:56pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:25am:
Rad, since Symantec missed the release date for Norton Save & Restore 2.0 by a few weeks, it might also be the case the same will be true for Norton Ghost 12.

I have searched for a User’s Manual for Norton Ghost 12, and have been unsuccessful in finding one.  Symantec did post the manual for NSR2 on the same day that the product was released, and hopefully this will occur again when NG12 appears.

I spoke to their PR contact and was told that NG12 will be available at symantec store and retail outlets
NEXT MONTH

So it looks like the release is delayed, which should surprise no one who has been around software.

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:00am

Thanks guys. I'll be watching.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:06pm

Amazon.com is now reporting the product to be "in stock" with a price of USD$84.33 . . . .

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 1:53pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:06pm:
Amazon.com is now reporting the product to be "in stock" with a price of USD$84.33 . . . .

I wouldn't trust your source, if it is the same as the one I found here on Amazon.

Details says it has been available since February 19, 2007 which is hard to believe.

Quote:
Product Details

Product Dimensions: 1 pounds
Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
ASIN: B000NKPFD4
Item model number: 11866268
Date first available at Amazon.com: February 19, 2007

I'll believe it is available when I see a retail box in a retail store.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Ghost4me, you are right - the Amazon.com citation doesn't seem to instill confidence in the availability of Norton Ghost 12.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:37pm

I agree.  I know that delays are often normal with software release dates.  And I hate to pre-judge Ghost 12, but, I am concerned about the evidently extensive rewrite or new code in Ghost 12 from all the features that will essentially be "release 1.0".

My personal interest is simplicity and reliability.  I like full independent self-contained verified backups that I can count on.  Features are nice but when you're primarily interested in disaster recovery protection, dependability is even "nicer"!

So my concern is whether all the bells and whistles of Ghost 12 are really needed for the consumer or small business customer.  I hope it doesn't become Ghost-12-bloatware or a GhostWorksPremiere type product.  Norton Save & Restore 2.0, which provides the Vista support, may do 90% of what most people want.

Just my own 2 cents. 

Ref:
Quote:
remote management
Google Desktop integration
LightsOut Restore
Support for one-to-one remote management enables users to back up other Norton Ghost clients on the network.
Integration with Google Desktop allows users to create searchable backup indexes to make recovering data even faster.
LightsOut Restore enables users to restore their systems from a remote location via an on-disk software recovery environment, obviating the need to use a bootable CD.

Norton Ghost 12 also includes a software recovery disk that allows users to start their computers, scan for viruses or hard disk errors, and launch the recovery process even if the operating system does not start.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2007 at 11:35am

Ghost4me, I agree with your assessment.  Norton Save & Restore 2.0 may be the “right fit” for the majority of consumers, with Norton Ghost 12 (NG12) being more applicable to the “power user.”

How much of the new functionality in NG12 is an “extensive rewrite or new code” is hard to say.  My sense is that the new features in NG12 are a migration of functionality from capabilities that already existed (and were well established and proven) in the corporate Backup Exec System Recovery product.  Thus, I would not necessarily anticipate stability or reliability issues.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2007 at 12:03pm

Pleonasm wrote on May 1st, 2007 at 11:35am:
How much of the new functionality in NG12 is an “extensive rewrite or new code” is hard to say.  My sense is that the new features in NG12 are a migration of functionality from capabilities that already existed (and were well established and proven) in the corporate Backup Exec System Recovery product.  Thus, I would not necessarily anticipate stability or reliability issues.

I doubt that the feature "Google desktop integration" existed in any corporate version.  It's part of S&R 2.0 as well.  The "remote management" code maybe or probably was lifted from one of the server/client versions.

Ghost 12 is now listed on the Symantec website, along with the User Guide/manual.  I don't think it was there yesterday.
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print