Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SATA motherboard connections only (Read 6035 times)
easygoin37
Ex Member

SATA motherboard connections only
Apr 18th, 2007 at 3:10am

New member -very glad to have found this site.
...Before I asked this question, I tried a search first for Sata DVD. I have used Ghost 2003 for years, and my normal method has been to make a ghost image right after installing XPsp2, doing all the current online updates, office etc. both to a partition on the Hard Drive as well as burning a DVD image at the same time, and never had a problem using SATA Hard Drives.

...My problem is and I am sure others in the near future will be buying new machines. They will find that they only come with SATA Hard Drives, and SATA DVD burners.

...They have no connections on the motherboard for any IDE Drives.

...My current problem is that I want to burn the image to the SATA DVD burner so if he hard drive crashes I can use the DVD image for the restore, and ghost does not recognize any SATA DVD burner I have installed, and the Norton website does not show a compatible SATA DVD Brand.

...Anyone know my options, I have even tried a PCI to IDE controller, to install the the old tried and true IDE DVD burner I have used in the past with no luck??

...Is there a way to add drivers to the Ghost Boot Floppy??
...Where would I get the DVD SATA drivers needed??

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am sure by many more than just myself...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: SATA motherboard connections only
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:00am

easygoin37

You don't say it, but I assume you are using Ghost 2003.

Unfortunately, if you want to burn a Ghost image directly to an optical disc from Ghost--then Ghost has to recognize your burner using its own internal ability to access the burning functions of the optical drive (i.e. your optical drive has to show up with the designation *@CD1....* in Ghost's menu of destination drives for a Ghost image).

Ghost 2003's development stopped be fore SATA optical drives became readily available, so to my knowledge there are no SATA burners that can be recognized by Ghost for burning.

You can create an image and save it to a HDD, and then burn the image to optical media with a third party burning program.

The old IDE DOS optical drive drivers (ex. oakcdrom.sys) will not work with SATA optical drives--so to access your image using a SATA optical drive in DOS--you will need to use a more recent DOS driver:

Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives, and apparently is backward compatible with IDE optical drives as well.  It replaces the *oakcdrom.sys* (or similar) DOS driver in the *config.sys*:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS

Let us know if this works for your setup--not too many SATA optical drive users have been here to report on their problems and successes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 5:48pm

People have a tendency to NOT do those things that are hard or take too much time.  Therefore this would be my suggestion:

Partition that SATA hard drive (as I always do) into two partitions so that you have a place to put your Ghost backups.  SATA HD to SATA HD is very fast, so you'll be tempted to make backups more often.  Then once back in Windows, use Nero or whatever software you have to copy the Ghost backup files to DVD's.
Always use the HIGH compression option in Ghost when you know the file(s) will have to go on CD's or DVD's.

I know that's a work-around, but a very viable one anyway.  It's something I would probably do here, not having any special drivers for a SATA DVD.

I'm not sure, though, why a mobo would report a SATA HD to Ghost, and I know it does, and not a SATA DVD.  ???? Huh

The Doctor Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

easygoin37
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 2:23am

...Thanks for the replies, I am using ghost 2003, and really like it's ease of use with the single floppy, and the ability to ghost an Image from either an IDE or SATA Hard Drive to a compatible  IDE Dvd burner..

...Now all of the new Dell's (And I am sure others are the same or soon will be) are only coming out with SATA drive connections on the MoBo, solving this type of problem I am sure will help lots of others.

Anyway here is what I have done-- unfortunately without any luck::
...I have the qcdrom.sys file download, loaded it onto an MSDOS boot disk and renamed it oakcdrom, then I (tried) created a Ghost boot disk using the MSDOS option.
...Next I tried to boot the XP system with the just created Ghost disk, it fails and comes  back with a non system disk error, and goes no farther.
...However I can use the same WIN 98 MS-DOS boot disk used to create the Ghost MSDOS boot disk with the downloaded gcdrom.sys renamed to oakcdrom.sys file to boot the machine, it boots fine it tries to load the optical drivers the on screen reading is exactly this:
GCDROM  V2.3  8-24-06
Driver name is "OEMCD001"
No CD Rom Drive to use;  GCDROM not loaded!

I did not think that it would still see the file as GCDROM, even though it was renamed to OAKCDROM.sys

If I let it continue to load to the A: prompt I can then put in a Ghost Boot Disk and input A:\GHOST\GHOST.exe  ghost fires up and once again it sees the SATA Hard Drive and seperate partitions fine but no CD or DVD drive, which was expected with the no CD drive error.

...By by using this method I know my MSDOS bootdisk is good (you never know with floppies).

...What would be your opinion about going into the device manager of the computer, go the DVD-R then properties and find where the .sys file is for that device then go to its location in the windows\system32\drivers and copy it, which is the easy part for me.

...I am not a coder or software guy by any standard, is there anyone that can tell me which of those .SYS files would probably be the ones for the DVD burner, then the hard part for myself will be how to load the DVD drivers found in the System32\drivers\**** into a ghost boot disk.

...Any way I am not sure if the gcdrom.sys file I downloaded is good, as he did say he could not test it, or I did something wrong. Ghost has served me well for many years, and just like a mechanic and his tools I have found ghost to be super reliable, trust it with my files  and really dont want to change to something else .......

IP Logged

rayking3
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 4:53pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print