Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to switch off incremental backups? (Read 6505 times)
theonlyrick
N00b

London, UK

How to switch off incremental backups?
Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:21pm

Hi - I want to set up my HD with all patches and basic software installed.  Then I want to clone it, and save the image to a USB drive (and DVD as a backup).  

I don't want to have Ghost running day-to-day, bogging my system down with incremental backups.

1 - How do I switch off incremental backups?

2 - Or can I uninstall Ghost and later on still apply a previously recorded image to a HD?

3 - Best of all, can I create an image without actually ever installing Ghost in Windows?

If it helps, I've got Ghost 10 and 9 (and Drive Image 3.0, for some reason).

I'm sorry to be asking questions that must have been covered before, but I couldn't find the answers...

Richard

Why didn't the ghost go to the party?&&&&He had no body to go with.&&==========&&I thought I thought I saw a small dead ghost.  Then I realised it was just a tissue.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: How to switch off incremental backups?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 4:07pm

theonlyrick wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:21pm:
Hi - I want to set up my HD with all patches and basic software installed.  Then I want to clone it, and save the image to a USB drive (and DVD as a backup).  
I don't want to have Ghost running day-to-day, bogging my system down with incremental backups.
1 - How do I switch off incremental backups?
2 - Or can I uninstall Ghost and later on still apply a previously recorded image to a HD?
3 - Best of all, can I create an image without actually ever installing Ghost in Windows?
If it helps, I've got Ghost 10 and 9 (and Drive Image 3.0, for some reason).
I'm sorry to be asking questions that must have been covered before, but I couldn't find the answers...Richard

1. When you "Define New Backup" with Ghost 10 choose "independent recovery point" option, instead of "recovery point set".  That way, it creates a full independent backup image.

Also, select "manual" for the schedule.  That way, you can decide when you want to run it.

3. You have to install Ghost 10 to use it.  It requires Windows XP (or Windows 2000 Pro)

If you want to put the images on DVD, most people put them first on an external hard drive, and then use a utility (like Nero) to copy the segments to DVD later.  If you do this, choose an option such as limit file sizes to 4400 mb. (look in advanced settings)

Ghost 10 is supposed to be able to write directly to DVD, but many report problems with that part of the Ghost software.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

theonlyrick
N00b

London, UK

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:14pm

Cheers for the speedy reply.

That's good news about just choosing a different backup type.  When I had it installed previously I found it annoying that I couldn't switch off incremental backups.  I know that Ghost would slow my system down a bit (by taking a recovery point) when I was installing stuff, but what got me really indignant is that I couldn't find a way to switch it off.

I suppose I don't mind having Ghost on my PC if it's not creating incremental backups every time I press the space bar...

But I only want to use Ghost to create a snapshot of the drive, and then to apply that snapshot 6 months later.  I don't want the application running in the intervening time, so I may as well uninstall it.  

When applying an image back onto the HD (eg recreating the fresh Windows setup), it wouldn't matter if Ghost had been uninstalled on the partition that was about to be wiped.  Would it?  (Surely not!)

Re: Whether Ghost must be installed on a PC to mirror a drive.

At work, when the IT bods rebuild a PC, they copy onto it the basic build (Windows, Office and other apps).  They definitely use some version of Ghost, but the computertaters, once rebuilt, don't have Ghost installed on them.

This means they took a snapshot of a drive that *didn't* have Ghost installed.  Does anyone what version of Ghost (or similar) would I need to recreate that?

Thanks again,

Richard

Why didn't the ghost go to the party?&&&&He had no body to go with.&&==========&&I thought I thought I saw a small dead ghost.  Then I realised it was just a tissue.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:44pm

theonlyrick wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 6:14pm:
At work, when the IT bods rebuild a PC, they copy onto it the basic build (Windows, Office and other apps).  They definitely use some version of Ghost, but the computertaters, once rebuilt, don't have Ghost installed on them.

This means they took a snapshot of a drive that *didn't* have Ghost installed.  Does anyone what version of Ghost (or similar) would I need to recreate that?

Richard,

Your previous post was basically unreadable because of the dark purple color against the black background.

Your IT group probably uses Symantec Solution Suite or Ghost 8 server (or other enterprise server software) that is managed from a central location.  Usually involves server software and small client software.

http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=cli_mgmt&pvid=ghost

IP Logged

theonlyrick
N00b

London, UK

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:30pm

Ooooops - I have made the colour screen lighter, so it appeared as dark purple on a lighter grey background.  I think I'll be sticking to the defaults from now on... (FWIW - The text of my first post is being shown as lime green on my PC.  I didn't intentionally choose that colour...)

Anyway, I'm posting to say I just googled for "without installing ghost". 
All I need to run Ghost in DOS, via a boot disk.  So, all I need is a floppy drive.  Gah!

I've got BartPE on CD, so that might be able to help me out...

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Richard

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:58pm

theonlyrick wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:30pm:
Anyway, I'm posting to say I just googled for "without installing ghost".  
All I need to run Ghost in DOS, via a boot disk.  So, all I need is a floppy drive.  Gah!
I've got BartPE on CD, so that might be able to help me out...
Any ideas, anyone?

Look in the Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 sections of the FAQ.  There is some information on BartPE and Ghost 9/10.  

Look also for information on running the Ghost 8.x directly after booting from your Ghost 9/10 cd.
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1141588748

IP Logged

theonlyrick
N00b

London, UK

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:42am

Morning!        Cool - I'll check those links out.

Thanks,

Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print