Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mystifying Bootup problem (Read 2569 times)
frazzled
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mystifying Bootup problem
Apr 22nd, 2007 at 8:30am

This may not be the optimal forum to bring this up, but I've always been intrigued with the wealth of obscure knowledge that many who lurk here display, so what the heck.

A  little used Acer PC running XP MCE SP2 for no discernable reason rebooted on its own freezing at "Error Loading OS". What mystifies me is this:

When I:
1. Select CDRom as the first startup device, and
2. Insert an XP Home install CD (maybe any bootable cd) AND
3. Ignore the Press Any Key to Boot From CD prompt

the machine boots up to my desktop and seems to run perfectly. I cannot fathom why it would bootup only under that scenario.

I tried researching the issue and mostly found references to Fixboot and Fixmbr, which appeared to have mixed results at best and often made matters worse. I did see one post involving a scenario similar to mine which claimed success using a combination of fixboot followed by use of PQboot; however the post was barely intelligible and I'm reluctant to hitch my horse to that. While my desktop was up and functional, I did try a System Restore using a couple week old restore point. It had no effect.

Anybody have any insight into what might be going on here? And isn't that bahavior rather bizarre?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Mystifying Bootup problem
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 10:46am

well, you're right, that is bizarre.

i usually enjoy troubleshooting [the problems of others better than my own Smiley ].

spontaneous reboots indicate serious problems. usually hardware-related (something on motherboard or psu).

fact that system restore did nothing seems to confirm.

the kicker is normal ops with bootable cd. if problem is hardware-related, how come it doesn't happen then?

seems like the cdrom *does* have some effect. maybe this could indicate a problem with the controller. are the hdd & cdrom on same controller?

any bios updates available?

if you could get your hands on a known-good psu and try that, it could rule out one factor (bad psu).

you say "little used" so i doubt psu is failing. but 2-3 years is not unheard of for a psu to "start" failing.

also could try reseating all connections .. to mobo and drives.

do you have more than just one hdd and one cdrom? in other words, how's the power demands on psu.

i've had these types of problems and the basic approach is to modify variables, and collect data, more and more. hopefully a lightbulb will go on.

this is one of the weirder problems i've heard of.

i'd also try playing with cd drive when system was working normally, to see if that affects anything .. like copying data to hdd from cd.

how is electric in your house? old house? old electric? grounded?

do you have uninterruptable power supply (contains a battery back-up) connected to system? they tend to 'clean' the power to systemand even-out any fluctuations.

more data points = better. something will turn up.

i can see why you're "frazzled".  Smiley

IP Logged

frazzled
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Mystifying Bootup problem
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 11:37am

Hi Rad. Thanks for the comprehensive response. I think you nailed it at the getgo - hardware. Not five minutes after reading your response I went to the basement to do some other stuff and was in close proximity to the wayward PC. It was purring along quietly, then I heard this noise, kind of a soft whine and random clicks like something getting bounced around. I put my ear to it, and it seemed possible it was coming from the hard drives. All that was on the second drive was unimportant video files, so I shut down, pulled the plug on drive 2, and it restarted like a champ. Hot diggity dog!

Believe it or not this is my first hard drive failure since getting my first 8086. Life was sure simpler in those days. The good thing is that the drive wasn't the system drive and is still under warranty. Its a 160gb Maxtor SATA. The better thing is that I didn't screw up my stable XP installation messing with things like fixboot and fixmbr.

Fingers crossed, but I think I should be cooking with gas going forward. Thanks again!

PS: I still think its weird that it would boot up when the CD was set as the first boot device.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print