Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 shows the 250Gb drive as unallocated. (Read 13439 times)
wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 9 shows the 250Gb drive as unallocated.
Apr 23rd, 2007 at 7:31am

Hi!
I want to transfer my Windows2000 system from an old 30GB harddrive to a new 250GB one. Both drives are masters, the old drive uses IDE0 and the new one IDE1.
Windows explorer shows them normally. But, when i start Ghost 9 the new hard drive is shown as unallocated and the drive size is wrong as well.
What could be wrong?
Wal

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 9 shows the 250Gb drive as unallocated.
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 9:03am

When drives show up with the wrong size, it is almost always a pc BIOS problem.  Given that you have an older pc with 30gb hard drive, your BIOS should be updated to support newer larger hard drives.  Check the website for the manufacturer or your pc or motherboard.  Follow the instructions carefully when updating your BIOS.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 3:22pm

wlederer wrote on Apr 23rd, 2007 at 7:31am:
Windows explorer shows them normally

wlederer, that's confusing. If Windows Explorer sees the larger HD then it must be partitioned and have drive letters. What partitions are on the larger HD? What sizes are the partitions? How much data is in each partition and do you plan to keep the data? Or is the HD empty?

In Disk Management, are the partitions on the larger HD the same sizes as in Windows Explorer?

What sizes are you seeing in Ghost 9 and at what stage of the program?

How much data is on the 30 GB HD?

IP Logged

wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 6:31am

Hi, thank You for the answers.
Yes, it is confusing. Windows explorer shows the  correct size. The management tools inform that the partition (only one for the drive.) is NTFS and healthy. The new drive is empty, just formatted.
The old drive 30GB (about half of the volume is used) has two partitions: first 127MB FAT for DOS applications and second (the rest of the drive) NTFS with Windows 2000 installed.
Ghost 9 shows size about 130 GB (will check tonight). I suspect, that something wrong with the hard drive, but don't know what.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 8:01am

wlederer wrote on Apr 24th, 2007 at 6:31am:
Ghost 9 shows size about 130 GB (will check tonight). I suspect, that something wrong with the hard drive, but don't know what.

One of the hard drive size barriers is 127gb.  If your bios is not up to date, then you can't recognize a hard drive larger than 127gb correctly, unless you update your BIOS.

More information here:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/size_MB504.htm

IP Logged

wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 11:19am

If BIOS not up to date, windows explorer would work wrong as well. But this is not the case.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 3:34pm

wlederer,

It really is weird. Where in Ghost are you seeing the incorrect size?

Are you planning to do a Copy Drive with Ghost 9? I assume you are. Then you will need to delete that partition on the new HD and copy into Unallocated Space. If you copy into a partition then the new OS won't boot. With WinXP anyway.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

IP Logged

wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:23am

Hi, Thank You for the good advice.
Checked again. Windows explorer shows : 232 GB
                      Disk Management:            232.88 GB
                                  Ghost 9  : 131069 MB , this figure appears while an option "Choose the destination drive ".
A Guru from iHDD forum advised me to try Acronis True Image. I uninstalled Ghost 9 and installed a copy of Acronis True Image 9. Then chose "Clone drive". First surprise was, that both drives were shown as IDE(0) Secondary masters? Second one was, that when i chose the destination drive two sizes for the new drive were given. First 128GB as "Capacity", second 232.9 GB NTFS? Not sure, what to do next. Can I trust this hard drive?
May be something wrong with IDE controller on the motherboard?
Wal

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:31am

Wal, even more confusing. Could you try both HDs on the same IDE controller as Master and Slave. Does Ghost 9 then show the correct size?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:46am

wlederer wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:23am:
May be something wrong with IDE controller on the motherboard?

Double check the jumper settings on your hard drives.  For some drive manufacturers, the jumper setting for single (master with no slave present) is different than master with slave present.  Some hard drives are set as cable select by the factory as well.

What other devices such as cd-rom are attached to each IDE channel?  Make sure they are jumpered correctly also.

Also, check your BIOS settings to be sure they are set to automatic for all hard drive channels.  What size does your BIOS say each hard drive is?

IP Logged

wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:58am

Hi, Thank You for the answers.
Checked the jumpers on all devices. All correct. Primary slave is DVD-R/RW, secondary slave is ZIP-250.
Connected the new hard drive to an extra IDE interface of PCI-SATA board. Now Acronis shows the correct size. But the old drive is still shown as IDE(0) secondary drive. Swapping IDE cables did not change anything. BIOS shows them correctly.
Installed back Ghost 9 and run. The size of the new drive is correct.
It looks like, that motherboard is faulty? How can I check IDE interfaces?
Wal

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 8:55am

wlederer wrote on Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:58am:
Connected the new hard drive to an extra IDE interface of PCI-SATA board. Now Acronis shows the correct size.

This just confirms what I said in the beginning:  you need to update your motherboard bios.

By connecting the large hard drive to your PCI-SATA card, the bios of the card handles all the i/o to/from your hard drive.  The card bios is detecting your large hard drive properly.

Alternatively, you could leave your large hard drive connected to the PCI-SATA card, but you would need to get the PCI-SATA drivers straightened out when you boot from a CD or use DOS.  Sounds like the card is taking control and assuming that anything connected to it is primary.

My advice would be to update your motherboard bios and retest.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 9:17am

Another thought:  Why do you have a separate PCI-SATA card?  What is normally connected to it?

You could try removing the PCI-SATA card and now see if your pc detects the large hard drive correctly.  (The fact that you have a small 30gb drive tells me though you have an older pc made before large hard drive support was provided in the bios.)

What brand and model motherboard is it?  Do you know the bios level?  You can see it displayed when you first power on your pc on the first screen (hit the pause/break key to make it pause)

IP Logged

wlederer
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 12:33pm

Hi!
I've got the Gigabyte GA-7S748 motherboard (was bought in eBay 2 years ago). Recent  update and patches are installed.
I bought the SATA board to play with serial drives (was already suspicious about motherboard, because of often crashes with WindowsXP home installed on the new drive).  Before nothing was connected.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:51pm

If you believe that your Gigabyte motherboard bios is uptodate, then I would concentrate on the conflict between the pci-sata card and your motherboard.  Verify that you have the latest drivers for the pci-sata card and look up the documentation to see how it works with Windows 2000, such as whether drives attached to the card are secondary or master, and how that affects any drives already connected directly to the motherboard.

Or, remove the card for now and see whether your drive sizes look correct.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print