Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Need help deciding which Ghost to Use (Read 52953 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need help deciding which Ghost to Use
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:23pm

Good luck. With the networking, you will need to map a network drive. I don't think you can image to a shared folder without a drive letter.

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 12:12am

This is not Ghost related but maybe someone will know.  If I was to use Partition Magic on the drive to partition it so they can keep files, etc...and they decide to use the original Toshiba Tecra M2 restore disk instead of my created disk, you think it will resize to the original? Or not possible?  I've heard some weird things happening when partitions have been resized on laptops.

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #17 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:14am

I networked the laptop, mapped the drive and all. I installed the Snapshot program on the laptop and created the backup files on my computer.  But it won't work.  I did read this on their site.

quote "Restoring a system partition will require DOS; other drives can be restored using Windows"

The error as to why it won't copy is "Snapshot can't lock drive"
Cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
It my run if the volume is dismouted first.  ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.

Then I press the "unmount drive and continue button and error unmouting volume.
-last Windows Error: 5-Access is denied. then
(49) SNAPSHOT error - NYCOPY, line 3258

Error opening destination \\.\C:

-last Windows Error: 20-The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another person.

I copied the backup files to the laptop and tried to restore from there but same error message.  

How about Acronis True Image?  Maybe not possible because can't put all the files on 1 cd.  Any ideas? Or how about partitioning the hard drive and putting the true image backup there.  Guess I could use Norton Ghost for that or can I?

I haven't tried burning this to a DVDR yet as I am out of disks so I'll have to wait.  Are these files boot files that will boot when burned?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:25am

aplados wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:14am:
I networked the laptop, mapped the drive and all. I installed the Snapshot program on the laptop and created the backup files on my computer. 

Good work. I didn't give you any instructions on restoring because you didn't indicate that you wanted to restore. You only wanted to create an image. Why do you want to restore that image?

Drive SnapShot is 100% reliable in my experience. But I wouldn't do a test restore using my only HD. Murphy's law. If you had to restore the SnapShot image in the future you would copy the DVD image files to your desktop HD. Then boot your laptop to a BartPE CD containing a Drive SnapShot plugin. Network the laptop to the desktop from BartPE and restore your image to a partition on the laptop HD. It does work. Everytime.

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:05am

ok.  Where would I get the Bart PE and the plugin and would it work also if instead of mapping it using Bart PE that I could use the burned disks that I would create with a DVD burner.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:27am

aplados,

Firstly, the DVDs can't be made bootable.

I think you can create a bootable Drive SnapShot CD with network support but I haven't done this as I find using BartPE is much easier. Everyone should have a BartPE CD.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

This download contains the plugin but you will probably need to overwrite snapshot.exe in the plugin with your current version.

Why do you want to restore your image?

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #21 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 10:40am

Just wanting to verify that it works even though its alot of stuff.  Good to know too.  However, I originally just wanted a disk copy of the drive for restore purposes.  And since I don't have a floppy dirve only other way I know how to do it is use one of the versions of Ghost or use Acronis True Image that will write to another drive that will have to be created using Partition Magic.  Will work out good but will not help in the event if the hard disk dies.  Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:45pm

An even better version of BartPE is the ReatogoXPE version.

http://www.reatogo.de/REATOGO.htm

It's more difficult to make the first CD so cut your teeth on the base version and move to ReatogoXPE later. ReatogoXPE is easier to network.

Apart from Drive SnapShot, other imaging apps that can be run from BartPE are Ghost 9, Ghost 8.*, Acronis True Image, TeraByte Image for Windows, PowerQuest Drive Image 2002, Drive ImageXML and Paragon Hard Disk Manager. I'd expect any of these apps to be suitable for your laptop.

If you want to avoid using a network restore then Ghost 9 and subsequent versions would work. Boot to the Ghost Recovery Environment, remove the Ghost CD and insert the first DVD in your recovery series. You wil be instructed when to change DVDs. You only need a single optical drive.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #23 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 4:53pm

Brian wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:45pm:
An even better version of BartPE is the ReatogoXPE version.

http://www.reatogo.de/REATOGO.htm

It's more difficult to make the first CD so cut your teeth on the base version and move to ReatogoXPE later. ReatogoXPE is easier to network.

Apart from the networking, are there any other advantages in going with ReatogoXPE?

I have access only the W2K machines. I believe, you need XP machine to create ReatogoXPE.

Rama

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 5:19pm

Rama wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 4:53pm:
I have access only the W2K machines. I believe, you need XP machine to create ReatogoXPE.

Rama, thats correct.

http://www.reatogo.de/Reatogo_Download_PREP.htm

But after you have built the CD it can be used on W2K, Win 98 and Win 95 computers. ReatogoXPE is basic BartPE with the XPE plugin to make it look like WinXP. In my view, that's its main advantage. It looks and works just like the OS that I use every day so I know where to find things. There are Windows features present that aren't in basic BartPE. Disk Management for example. Networking is the same as WinXP. Networking from BartPE is different. Basic BartPE is a little clunky but if a plugin works in basic BartPE it won't work any better in ReatogoXPE. A personal preference issue.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #25 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 10:45pm

Brian wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 5:19pm:
Rama wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 4:53pm:

Rama, thats correct.

http://www.reatogo.de/Reatogo_Download_PREP.htm

But after you have built the CD it can be used on W2K, Win 98 and Win 95 computers. ReatogoXPE is basic BartPE with the XPE plugin to make it look like WinXP. In my view, that's its main advantage. It looks and works just like the OS that I use every day so I know where to find things. There are Windows features present that aren't in basic BartPE. Disk Management for example. Networking is the same as WinXP. Networking from BartPE is different. Basic BartPE is a little clunky but if a plugin works in basic BartPE it won't work any better in ReatogoXPE. A personal preference issue.

Thanks, Brian.

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:25pm

I'm preparing to sell it.  Don't think new customer would want to go through all that to restore the laptop.  If Ghost 9 has DVD writing capabililities why go through all this and why would I have to wait until Ghost 12 comes out? 

Or maybe Ghost 9 has writing capabililities but since the dvdr is on my computer instead of the laptop it's not possible.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 3:18pm

aplados,

Ghost 9 is fine. I'm still using it. But Ghost 12 will have more features and will probably work with more DVD drives. Imaging to DVDs is SLOW and unreliable. Some drives work and others don't. For image/restore with your laptop, an external HD would be very sensible.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #28 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:26am

aplados

Quote:
I have a laptop and would like to create a image for restoring in case something happens.  I do not have a floppy drive.  It does have a cd burner so which version would be the easiest to use for me for this purpose?

As you may have gathered at this point--imaging requires a little more than *point-n-shoot* understanding--and you have to set things up to deal with your particular system--and often deal with several different solutions (i.e. different boot options) to reach your desired goals.

But I'm confused--having made that last statement--*to reach your desired goals*!

Quote:
I'm preparing to sell it.  Don't think new customer would want to go through all that to restore the laptop.

Why are you worried about a HDD failure and the ability to restore your personal image if you are selling this system?!

Why are you installing Microsoft Office if you are selling this system?!

I would use a DOS based program to DOD (department of defense!) wipe the drive clean so no personal data was present or recoverable (personal protection of personal data), and then restore the factory recovery data from your *original Toshiba Tecra M2 restore disk*.

And then let the new owner deal with backup/imaging issues of their personal data--not yours!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

aplados
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Augusta Georgia

Reply #29 - May 14th, 2007 at 1:14pm

What would be the difference between Ghost 12 and Save and Restore 2.0? I see where Ghost 12 is out now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print