Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 not for Vista, any good replacement? (Read 15662 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Ghost 10 not for Vista, any good replacement?
Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:18pm

Hi, Norton Ghost 10 is not for Vista. We'll have to wait. Any good replacement? I'm thinking about Acronis True Image Home as the replacement.

But I found Norton Save and Restore works with Vista. Will Norton Save & Restore works like Ghost? Also has its own bootable recovery CD? Create an image of my Windows?

Oh yes, I'm moving from XP Home SP 2 to Vista Home Basic (as the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor said, my computer can run Vista with Home Basic edition). I'm not upgrading it (upgrade from XP to Vista). But new fresh install.

My computer (laptop) is Toshiba Satellite L100, Intel Centrino Mobile Technology with Intel Solo Core(TM) T1300 (1.66GHz), 1GB RAM.

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10 not for Vista, any good replacement?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:39pm

The two Ghost versions for Vista are:

Ghost 12 (available end of April)
Norton Save & Restore 2 (available now)

The FAQ and announcements state the Ghost 12 will have some advanced features not available in S&R2.

Norton Save & Restore has all the features of Ghost 10, and also includes file and folder backups as well.

You may not need all of the Ghost 12 features, so get S&R2 if you need Ghost for Vista support today.

Quote:
Norton Ghost 12 takes data and system protection to the next level with powerful new features such as remote management, Google Desktop integration, and LightsOut Restore.

Support for one-to-one remote management enables users to back up other Norton Ghost clients on the network.

Integration with Google Desktop allows users to create searchable backup indexes to make recovering data even faster.

LightsOut Restore enables users to restore their systems from a remote location via an on-disk software recovery environment, obviating the need to use a bootable CD.

Norton Ghost 12 also includes a software recovery disk that allows users to start their computers, scan for viruses or hard disk errors, and launch the recovery process even if the operating system does not start.

Source:  http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=89422&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=981698

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:58pm

I've heard numerous reports of folks being dissatisfied with system performance under Vista, which is why Dell recently started re-offering XP-based systems.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/04/dells_move_rais.html

In other words, a Vista-XP dual boot would be better than Vista-only system .. just in case. FYI to you and those with similar questions.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Rad wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:58pm:
I've heard numerous reports of folks being dissatisfied with system performance under Vista, which is why Dell recently started re-offering XP-based systems.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/04/dells_move_rais.html

In other words, a Vista-XP dual boot would be better than Vista-only system .. just in case. FYI to you and those with similar questions.

I guess you're right. My system so many times got "Not responding" while trying Vista (Home Basic/Premium and Ultimate). My new PCMCIA Bluetooth, can't work with Vista. My Conexant sound drivers using the drivers from HP website (searched Google).

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:58pm

rulirahm wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:18pm:
My computer (laptop) is Toshiba Satellite L100, Intel Centrino Mobile Technology with Intel Solo Core(TM) T1300 (1.66GHz), 1GB RAM.

What is your Windows Experience Index in Vista for your laptop?  

I'm betting it is not good because of your laptop cpu, only 1gb ram, integrated video card, and hard drive (which are usually only 5400 rpm in laptops).  Most articles that I have been reading lately indicate for a "good" experience you unfortunately need a fast Intel Core 2 Duo cpu, 2gb ram, separate video card with 128 or 256 mb memory.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:07am

I got 3 for the score.

I think I'm gonna use Acronis. Many ppl reported that this s/w just like ghost for imaging.
What do you think?

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 8:08am

rulirahm wrote on Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:07am:
I got 3 for the score.
I think I'm gonna use Acronis. Many ppl reported that this s/w just like ghost for imaging.
What do you think?

Ghost and TrueImage are the two most popular consumer image backup programs.  I have used both and prefer Ghost myself.  But others like TrueImage better.  Do you like Fords or Chevys?

The TrueImage support forum is here.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Ask some questions and get a sense of it there.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:44am

Actually, I hate change. That's why I'm looking for something similiar with Ghost.

My last question: so, Acronis do the same job like Ghost, right? I'm often restoring image from Ghost bootable CD (boot PC with Ghost recovery environment and restore image).

Three (3) for the base score of my Vista is a good score, right? The high is 5. So I'm more than enough to run Vista  Cool

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 11:33am

rulirahm wrote on Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:44am:
Actually, I hate change. That's why I'm looking for something similiar with Ghost.
My last question: so, Acronis do the same job like Ghost, right? I'm often restoring image from Ghost bootable CD (boot PC with Ghost recovery environment and restore image).

Norton Save & Restore 2 is the Ghost version almost identical to Ghost 10, except that it allows you to create backups of files and folders as well.  If you don't use the file/folder feature, you would hardly know that it isn't Ghost 10.  

I don't know why Symantec changed the name from Ghost to Save & Restore 2, because it is confusing.  I imagine it is to make the product name more obvious to the non-technical consumer.  Also, Symantec probably added the folder backup feature to directly compete with other software such as Acronis.

Symantec has a free trial of Norton Save & Restore 2.0, (I think True Image has a free trial also), so why don't you try S&R2.0 and tell us how similar you think it is?

Symantec Trial-ware

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:13pm

The trial version of Save & Restore included with CD recovery environment? Or can we just use Ghost 10 RE to restore image created by Save & Restore?

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 3:57pm

rulirahm wrote on Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:13pm:
The trial version of Save & Restore included with CD recovery environment?

I don't know, but doubt it.  Look on the Symantec website to be sure.

Quote:
Or can we just use Ghost 10 RE to restore image created by Save & Restore?

Most software is backward compatible but rarely future compatible.  Ghost 10 doesn't support Vista, S&R 2.0 does.  Besides, if you purchase Save & Restore 2.0 you would have the S&R 2.0 RE, so why would you need the older Ghost 10 RE cd?

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2007 at 6:44am

It's out now Norton Ghost 12.

System Requirements
Current Version: 12.0
Platforms: Windows Vista™ Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate*, Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 Home/XP Pro/XP Media Center Edition.

Still no upgrade version
http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/ContentTheme/ThemeID.106300/p...

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2007 at 8:53am

rulirahm wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 6:44am:
It's out now Norton Ghost 12.
Still no upgrade version

I don't think there is going to be an upgrade price break going from Ghost 10 to Ghost 12.  Ghost 10 was released in October 2005.  There wasn't a "Ghost 11" upgrade; instead in October 2006, Norton Save & Restore 1.0 was released which was almost identical to Ghost 10 except that folder backup was added.

I noticed that there is an upgrade price for Norton S&R 1.0 to S&R 2.0 posted on the Symantec website.

It looks to me like Symantec considers Ghost 12 a NEW product with Vista support and other advanced features (just my opinion and I could be wrong), but no upgrade path to get it.

The product that is closest to Ghost 10 in features today would be Norton Save & Restore.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print