Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 experiences and feedback (Read 4534 times)
John.
Übermensch

Ghost 12 experiences and feedback
May 1st, 2007 at 12:20pm

Ghost 12 is apparently available as of today per the Symantec website.  If anyone has used it, please post your comments here.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 12 experiences and feedback
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2007 at 12:28pm

Just to get the conversation going, I'll make one observation.  I skimmed through the online User Manual and found a couple things:

1. The Remote administration looks like a simplified client/server capability directed at small networks with workgroup pc's.  Only one pc can be "managed" at a time from the master, but you can look at status of the other pc's backups etc.  Nice.

2. Vista support.  Hope it works, particularly the Vista Boot Configuration Data support.

3. Copy the entire hard drive to a newer larger one.  One of my pet peeves, which unfortunately Symantec has not fixed.  I have seen user after user on this forum say they cannot do a simple "copy my entire hard drive, all partitions, to a bigger one".  Here is the statement in the Ghost 12 User guide:

Quote:
About copying a drive

You can use the Copy Drive feature to copy your operating system, applications, and data from one hard drive to another hard drive.

You can even copy a larger hard drive to a smaller hard drive if the data on the drive being copied is at least 1/16th smaller in size than the total size of the new drive.

If the hard drive that you want to copy contains more than one partition, you must copy the partitions one at a time to the new hard drive.

This is a major failing, in my opinion.  Many brand named PC's (Dell, HP, etc.) contain multiple partitions and the user simply wants to "copy the entire hard drive" to a new larger hard drive.

Darn!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2007 at 12:47pm

I found a lot of additional details, precautions, and known issues from the Readme file.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2007 at 2:42pm

John. wrote on May 1st, 2007 at 12:28pm:
2. Vista support.  Hope it works, particularly the Vista Boot Configuration Data support.

Regarding Vista support, I have added a new section to the FAQ, entitled "Diagnostics and Troubleshooting (Vista)" with information and references to editing of the BCD in Vista.  I predict that this is an area that will cause mis-steps by Ghost (and other imaging products) when restoring and/or cloning -- similar to the XP problems with DiskID and multibooting.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2007 at 12:20pm

Ghost4me, concerning the editing the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store in Windows Vista, please see this thread.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print