Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video Scrambled after making NightOwl Boot CD?? (Read 5724 times)
Bombadillio
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Video Scrambled after making NightOwl Boot CD??
May 13th, 2007 at 9:04pm

Greetings,
  I tried searching through the topics but could not find any answers. My problem:

I followed the step by step guide on how to make an image file then create a boot cd. my computer is as follows( just installed everything)

MOBO -- DFI Infinity 975
CPU —E6600
Heatsink/NB Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme / HR-05SLI
RAM —OCZ Plat. Rev 2 2x1gb
VIDEO -- Sapphire X1950XT 256MB
CASE -- Lian LiPC-70USB
PSU -- OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W
HDD —2 Seagate SATA 400GB
DVD -- Sony, PX-760A
PERIPHERALS -- Razor Copperhead & XactMat
Monitor Iiyama 22" 512Pro
Bios

Now my mouse is USB and my Graphics card is PCI-E I am not sure if this makes a difference. However, my goal was to make an image of my C:\ drive with the windows install  and place it on my hard drive. Then to do one of 3 things.
A. Burn it to DVD
B. Keep the Image file on the SATA drive to use the image if needed
C. Put the image on the USB Drive so that I can log in and extract the image in ghost DOS as needed.

So in essence what am I doing wrong? And if I am not doing anything wrong what are some possible solutions and what can I do to extract this image in the future from my USB Drive?

Thanks a lot for your Help!

EDIT: I ran the PC-DOS from Ghost 2003 in windows and it rebooted to it fine. However it did not read the separate partitions on my C:| drive. considering I only need to image 5GB worth and not 100. What do you suggest?

MOBO -- DFI NF4 Ultra D&&CPU -- Venice 3200&&RAM -- Ram OCZ Winbond model 4x512 &&VIDEO -- Sapphire X1950XT 256MB&&CASE -- Lian LiPC-70USB&&PSU -- OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W&&HDD -- 1 Seagate PATA 400GB 1 W

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Video Scrambled after making NightOwl Boot CD?
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2007 at 9:18am

Bombadillio

Quote:

So, is the problem that the bootable CD works, but your monitor screen is messed up when you attempt to boot to DOS from it?

That usually suggests that there is a software conflict between the DOS boot files and the hardware requirements that load various *drivers* via the BIOS during boot.

Quote:
Now my mouse is USB and my Graphics card is PCI-E I am not sure if this makes a difference.

It might--in order for your USB mouse to show up in DOS--if you are not loading DOS USB drivers with your boot files--then the BIOS has to be loading support--and that support may be conflicting with the other required memory allocation for other devices such as the graphics card.

Quote:
I ran the PC-DOS from Ghost 2003 in windows and it rebooted to it fine.

So, the monitor was not scrambled?!  When you use the Windows Ghost interface, there is usually a summary of what you have set up just before you tell Ghost to proceed to re-boot to DOS--if you review that summary--is Ghost loading *himem.sys* as part of the process?

If you don't see a summary above, you should be able to go to the Windows Ghost intro screen and select *Norton Ghost/Ghost Basic/View Log*--the summary there should list the *config.sys* file--is *himem.sys* listed as one of the boot files.

*himem.sys* is a DOS memory manager that may help prevent DOS boot files from crashing into each other and over-writing boot code--and possibly causing scrambled video output.

Another possible troubleshooting test--can you substitute a serial mouse for the USB mouse--at least for testing?  May have to disable *Legacy USB Support* in the BIOS also to see if the conflict is there.  You can still navigate in DOS Ghost using the *Tab* key, and the keyboard *arrow* keys.

Let us know what you find out!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Bombadillio
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:03am

NightOwl wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 9:18am:

Quote:

So, is the problem that the bootable CD works, but your monitor screen is messed up when you attempt to boot to DOS from it?

That usually suggests that there is a software conflict between the DOS boot files and the hardware requirements that load various *drivers* via the BIOS during boot.

Actually, the bootable cd works fine, the problem is when it loads up ghost 2003 I get the scrambled video. If you can visualize the grey box picture that box looking Blue grey, white, and black with no text being coherent.

Quote:
Now my mouse is USB and my Graphics card is PCI-E I am not sure if this makes a difference.

It might--in order for your USB mouse to show up in DOS--if you are not loading DOS USB drivers with your boot files--then the BIOS has to be loading support--and that support may be conflicting with the other required memory allocation for other devices such as the graphics card.

I can live with just the keyboard its not too difficult for me. I just was wondering in the future since I am making the disk via a CD (1.44mb on 766mb lol) if there was a way to add more options.

Quote:
I ran the PC-DOS from Ghost 2003 in windows and it rebooted to it fine.

So, the monitor was not scrambled?!  When you use the Windows Ghost interface, there is usually a summary of what you have set up just before you tell Ghost to proceed to re-boot to DOS--if you review that summary--is Ghost loading *himem.sys* as part of the process?

If you don't see a summary above, you should be able to go to the Windows Ghost intro screen and select *Norton Ghost/Ghost Basic/View Log*--the summary there should list the *config.sys* file--is *himem.sys* listed as one of the boot files.

*himem.sys* is a DOS memory manager that may help prevent DOS boot files from crashing into each other and over-writing boot code--and possibly causing scrambled video output.

Another possible troubleshooting test--can you substitute a serial mouse for the USB mouse--at least for testing?  May have to disable *Legacy USB Support* in the BIOS also to see if the conflict is there.  You can still navigate in DOS Ghost using the *Tab* key, and the keyboard *arrow* keys.
!

No the monitor was not scrambled when I ran the ghost interface which goes from windows to DOS. It was crystal clear and had no issues.
When I get home I will run it again and will try to push f8 fast enough so that I can write down everything its running. I believe it usb drivers, and some other drivers. I also made an image of the 10GB windows partition with the ghost pc-dos which I setup from windows. However, when I tried setting it up in the PC-Dos it would not allow me to specify which partition to image. Yet, in windows ghost 2003 lets me choose which partition to image.in dos.
     Will write more when I get home. Thanks for your help!

MOBO -- DFI NF4 Ultra D&&CPU -- Venice 3200&&RAM -- Ram OCZ Winbond model 4x512 &&VIDEO -- Sapphire X1950XT 256MB&&CASE -- Lian LiPC-70USB&&PSU -- OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W&&HDD -- 1 Seagate PATA 400GB 1 W

IP Logged

Bombadillio
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2007 at 1:08pm

ne ideas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print