Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
few questions about norton ghost bootable cd (Read 6723 times)
pr0lab
Ex Member

few questions about norton ghost bootable cd
May 18th, 2007 at 11:59am

question 1
-------------

whats the difference between all of these versions?

VERSION 1

CONFIG.SYS
[menu]
menuitem=SUCD, Boot computer with support for CD-ROM.
menuitem=NOCD, Boot computer without support for CD-ROM.
menuitem=GHOST, Restore partition/drive with Ghost.
menudefault=CD,30menucolor=7,0

[SUCD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:cdrom001
device=btdosm.sys

CONFIG.SYS

[menu]
menuitem=SUCD, Boot computer with support for CD-ROM.
menuitem=NOCD, Boot computer without support for CD-ROM.
menuitem=GHOST, Restore partition/drive with Ghost.
menudefault=CD,30
menucolor=7,0

[SUCD]
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:cdrom001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:cdrom001

[NOCD]

[GHOST]
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:cdrom001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:cdrom001

[COMMON]
files=60
buffers=20
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z
device=display.sys con=(ega,,1)
country=001,437,country.sys
install=mode.com con cp prepare=((437) ega.cpi)
install=mode.com con cp select=437
install=keyb.com us,,keyboard.sys

GHOST.BAT
GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%\IMAGE.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -sure

VERSION 2

AUTOEXEC.BAT
GHOST.EXE -split=640 - autoname -z9

Rest.bat
GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%\Backup.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -sure

VERSION 3

CONFIG.SYS
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z

AUTOEXEC.BAT
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe

Rest.bat
GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%\Backup.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -sure

question 2
-------------

i tried to put this "GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%\Backup.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -sure" command in AUTOEXEC.BAT and it's didn't work, but where i put only ghost.bat instead of this long line and in ghost.bat(the same folder with ghost.exe) put this line the ghost start the recover automaticly.
the question is why it's not asking me if i'm sure (-sure) but start all automaticly?

question 3
-------------

what better clone aprtition or backup for 4 gb soft & win size?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: few questions about norton ghost bootable cd
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007 at 11:57pm

pr0lab

This topic belongs in this forum.

Quote:
whats the difference between all of these versions?

Version 1 looks like the boot files for the Ghost 2003 bootable installation CD--gives you menu options to choose the setup you want to use, and loads support for multiple types of CD drives--a couple different IDE types, and a couple different SCSI types.  Looks like there are two different *config.sys* listed, but not *autoexec.bat*--you would need the corresponding *autoexec.bat* menu items to complete the menu driven options.

Version 2 will not have any CD drive support for assigning a DOS CD-ROM drive letter--so will not be able to access any files on the CD drive.  The command line sets Ghost to create image file sizes that will fit on a CD later if you wish to burn them with a third party burning program.  

Version 3 will have basic ide CD-ROM support in DOS with a drive letter assigned as *X:\*, and starts Ghost automatically without any special switches specified.

Quote:
i tried to put this "GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%\Backup.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -sure" command in AUTOEXEC.BAT and it's didn't work,

It should work, if you have the correct stucture--list what you actually used in *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* that did not work--maybe I'll see where the syntax error is.

Quote:
the question is why it's not asking me if i'm sure (-sure) but start all automaticly?

The *-sure* switch is not telling Ghost to ask you to confirm that you are sure before beginning--it is telling Ghost that you are sure--and to begin automatically without any further prompting!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

pr0lab
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2007 at 6:25am

thanks !
can i use version 1 for ghost 11?
and what better the norton 360, ghost 12(can't make .gho, as far as i know) or ghost 11(can make .gho)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2007 at 9:18am

pr0lab

Quote:
can i use version 1 for ghost 11?

Ghost 11 is the corporate version of Ghost that is found in Norton Ghost Solution Suite v2.x--previous version # was Ghost v8.3 in Norton Ghost Solution Suite v1.x--and previous version was the Corporate Ghost v8.0, 8.1, and 8.2.  All these versions are DOS based and the *version 1* can be used for DOS based Ghost.  The above corporate versions also have a Ghost program that will run under Windows--looks just like the DOS version--*Ghost32.exe*--limitation, it can not image the Windows OS partition that is running the Ghost32 version--i.e. it does not allow *hot imaging* of the active, running Windows partition.

Quote:
and what better the norton 360, ghost 12(can't make .gho, as far as i know) or ghost 11(can make .gho)

Ghost 12 is the next version continuing the retail versions of *hot imaging* available with Ghost 9, 10, and Save & Restore.  And, correct, it is not able to work with DOS based Ghost files with the *.gho* and *.ghs* extensions (but there is a version of Ghost32 embedded in Ghost 9 and 10, and I believe in Save & Restore--but appears not to be in Ghost 12) for *legacy* compatibility with previous DOS Ghost image files)  I don't know what's included in Norton 360--I've not looked into that product.  

What's best--depends on what you are attempting to do and what features you need/want--they all work fine if everything is compatible--and they all have *bugs and warts* that fail to work for some systems and setups--and under some circumstances!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

pr0lab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2007 at 9:26am

got it !
thanks i will stick with ghost 11  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print