Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
New server response time pauses (Read 101434 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: New server response time pauses
Reply #45 - May 26th, 2007 at 2:14pm

Photoshop Elements is the poor-man's (about $100) version of Photoshop ($500+) but most of the editing features of Photoshop.

I still can't figure out why the image is 36K on my hard drive and 90K+ on the webpage.  Still researching, but give me any ideas if you have them.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #46 - May 26th, 2007 at 2:21pm

It must be a problem with Photobucket, because I uploaded the same images to my Yahoo briefcase account, and the files are the same there (35-40K) as my hard drive.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #47 - May 26th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Fixed.  The default option for Photobucket was 800 pixels wide, which is what caused the explosion.  I changed the default to larger pictures and now the file sizes are back to 35-40K.

I usually use jpg for pictures but noticed that Photoshop Elements help stated that for line art, gif is actually better and smaller.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #48 - May 26th, 2007 at 6:10pm

Another PingPlotter from 4:00 pm PDT.  Note Packet losses at hop 9 and 10.

Here's a help entry on Packet Loss from their website:
http://www.nessoft.com/kb/24

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #49 - May 26th, 2007 at 9:21pm

Wow, this is a tough issue.  It seems to morph daily.  At first, the network didn't seem to be involved.  Then it was network delays.  Now, we are seeing packet loss.  Each would be caused by a slightly different problem and would need a different solution.

Hopefully whoever they escalated your ticket to at LP has better visability into what might be going on and can tie it all together.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #50 - May 26th, 2007 at 9:32pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 26th, 2007 at 9:21pm:
Wow, this is a tough issue.  It seems to morph daily.  At first, the network didn't seem to be involved.  Then it was network delays.  Now, we are seeing packet loss.  Each would be caused by a slightly different problem and would need a different solution.
Hopefully whoever they escalated your ticket to at LP has better visability into what might be going on and can tie it all together.

MrMagoo, Any idea about the packet loss?  The link seems to indicate it doesn't matter unless it's the final hop:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/24
Quote:
There are numerous reasons why packet loss occurs: Insufficient bandwidth; network connection problems; hardware failure; routing problems; router configuration; and others. Let's talk a bit about what kind of packet loss is probably significant and what kind of packet loss might not be impacting your network experience.

First, it's really important to understand that the only hop that matters is the final destination. If the final hop (your target) is showing 0% packet loss and acceptable latency, then all the hops before that can show all kinds of errors and it doesn't matter. As long as the final destination isn't affected, then all other latency and packet loss is an artifact of router configuration (or similar), and there is no problem.

The only hop that matters is the final destination. If you're happy with the latency and packet loss being seen at the final destination, then none of the other hops matter.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #51 - May 27th, 2007 at 1:02am

I (mostly) agree with the quote you posted from the article.  A traceroute is really nothing more than a series of pings with an increasing Time To Live value, tricking each succesive hop to respond with an ICMP TTL expired packet.  From that packet, the tracert program can learn the time it takes each hop to respond and the IP address of each hop.  The problem is that a router will send ICMP packets at a very low priority in order to ensure that packets traveling through the router to their final destination are taken care of first.  This means that although this router may be close to maximum utilization, most of the traffic going through this router is getting to its destination with little or no delay.

Packet loss is usually a product of a circuit that has more traffic than it is designed to carry or a router whos CPU is maxed out.  In this case, I suspect the router CPU since we seem to see the same issue on the same hop (right before the cust.lunarpages.com) using different circuits.

I'm sure that LunarPages has graphs of the circuit utilization, router CPU utilization, and web server utilization over time.  I'm sure they also have software to check the response time of apache, SQL, and and other services running on this server.  If we could get one of their engineers to look into the issue right at the time we are having trouble, hopefully one of these graphs would show which one is the issue.  That is why I asked if it is happening in the forums, the main site, or both.  An issue in the forums but not the main site would point to delays on the SQL server.  Since you guys are reporting problems across the board, it seems we can rule out SQL.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #52 - May 27th, 2007 at 10:58am

I was unable to access the site .. any page .. with any browser (tried IE, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera) .. this morning (Sunday) from ~8AM to ~ 9AM. Actually, the site came back ~8:50 AM.

I sent mail to LP sppt, and tried to call, but never got thru > was on hold the whole time (so I wasn't the only one calling).

Their 24x7 "Network status line" said all was fine.

I ran a bunch of pings, all of which were okay (nice, actually).

I could connect via FTP fine, and Radified email was blazing fast.

Only no web pages would display.

I had no problem connecting to any other page on the net.

It seems like Apache was down.

The site might have been down before 8AM, but I didn't try until then.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #53 - May 27th, 2007 at 11:00am

I was getting "IE unable to display webpage" over and over again from 8:30 to 8:55am today.  The total site seemed down.  Finally, now at 8:58am I got on.  Here's tracert and pingplotter taken during that time.

8:30am May 27, 2007 from So. California

Tracing route to radified.com [74.50.6.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1      1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1  
2     10 ms     *        9 ms  xxxx.cox.net   
3      9 ms     7 ms     7 ms  68.4.15.209  
4     10 ms     9 ms    11 ms  ip68-4-14-53.oc.oc.cox.net [68.4.14.53]  
5     10 ms    10 ms     9 ms  ip68-4-14-73.oc.oc.cox.net [68.4.14.73]  
6     14 ms     9 ms     9 ms  rsmtdsrj01-ge600.0.rd.oc.cox.net [68.4.14.253]  
7     21 ms    17 ms    17 ms  nwstdsrj01-ge710.rd.lv.cox.net [68.1.0.85]  
8     18 ms    19 ms    19 ms  24-234-6-9.ptp.lvcm.net [24.234.6.9]  
9     22 ms    20 ms    20 ms  24-234-18-130.ptp.lvcm.net [24.234.18.130]  
10    21 ms    19 ms    19 ms  24-234-18-130.ptp.lvcm.net [24.234.18.130]  
11    21 ms    40 ms    21 ms  cust-lunarpages.marquisnet.com [208.65.158.130]  
12    22 ms    20 ms    19 ms  hafgan.lunarservers.com [74.50.6.11]
Trace complete.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #54 - May 27th, 2007 at 11:02am

same here. see above.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #55 - May 27th, 2007 at 11:13am

Note on my PingPlotter that 10% packet loss for marquisnet.com. 

That also corroborates and corresponds with the tracert hop 11 additional delay of 40 ms caused by marquisnet.com

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #56 - May 27th, 2007 at 12:54pm

saw that.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #57 - May 27th, 2007 at 10:08pm

Of course, none of those symptoms match yesterday's symptoms exactly or the day before...

Rad, When you connected via FTP, did you attempt to transfer any files?  I'm starting to think that this is a problem with Apache specifically, and if file transfers worked normally, that would be good evidence the rest of the server and network are running fine.  You've previously said that email works fine when the site is down, which again points to apache.  Also, is your homepage static HTML, or is it tied to your blog?

Can someone try a static page like one of the guides next time we have trouble?  I'd like to know for sure that all HTML pages are affected, rather than just those that use server-side scripting and databases.

I have a few questions for LP support such as:

1. Is the web site data (html) stored on a local disk on your web server, or is it on some network share?
2. Is your dedicated IP tied directly to a specific server, or is it load balanced across a cluster of servers?
3. Is the SQL database on this same server?

Rad, maybe you can answer #3 for me - What is the address of you SQL server?  Is it "localhost", or something else?

At any rate, I think we've ruled out any issues with our individual ISP's and computers, so this issue is almost surly on the LP end, which means they need to get involved.  Even if we knew exactly what it was, they would need to be the one to fix it.

Rad, do you have a ticket open with support on this issue, or just a few emails back and forth so far?  You should probably call them and ask that they open a formal ticket to help track this issue.  Make them give you the ticket number so you can follow up.  Maybe then they can get enough data to get the right person to look into it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #58 - May 28th, 2007 at 8:24am

I just had (6:20 am PDT Monday), two 20-second "pauses".  But they both recovered.  

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #59 - May 28th, 2007 at 8:42am

Spoke too soon.  Now getting very erratic responses and lots of "IE Cannot display this webpage" errors.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print