Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
New server response time pauses (Read 101415 times)
MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: New server response time pauses
Reply #60 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:14pm

John. wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 8:42am:
Spoke too soon.  Now getting very erratic responses and lots of "IE Cannot display this webpage" errors.

And did you attempt to access the guide pages at all?  What was the result of that?  I'd like to narrow down if this is affecting all pages, or just dynamic ones.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #61 - May 28th, 2007 at 4:10pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 3:14pm:
And did you attempt to access the guide pages at all?  What was the result of that?  I'd like to narrow down if this is affecting all pages, or just dynamic ones.

In one case, I was trying to click on the "Post" icon.
Then I couldn't get to the main page:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl at all.

I'll save a shortcut to this one ( http://windows.radified.com/ ) to try next time.  I think that is a static webpage example you were looking for.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #62 - May 28th, 2007 at 4:17pm

This is probably way off track, but I assume that the yabb server code maintains a long list of members to notify anytime you post to a thread.  Does anyone know if there is a "purge" of notifications for threads that are over for example 6 months old or 12 months old?  With a large database of topics and members, that could be a long list to search or update anytime someone replies.  (I just went through and pruned my notifications list myself.)

Just looking for ways to optimize the db code overhead or compact or reorganize the db.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #63 - May 28th, 2007 at 4:55pm

I think that the list of people to notify is probably stored in the database per thread, so having an email notification to updates in one thread should not affect the performance of another thread.

I think we can narrow down what the problem is a little more, and then our ideas on how to help fix it can be more focused.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #64 - May 28th, 2007 at 5:19pm

Personally, I think the problem is those slow, SCSI hard disk drives used by Lunapages Services.   Grin

(Humor intended, of course!)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #65 - May 28th, 2007 at 11:46pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 3:14pm:
And did you attempt to access the guide pages at all?  What was the result of that?  I'd like to narrow down if this is affecting all pages, or just dynamic ones.

Just had another experience, occuring right now, at 9:40 pm PDT.  Very slow (about 30 seconds) for any page to display.  I then opened two new tabs (IE7) and tried loading these two static pages:

http://radified.com/Scans/image_12.htm
http://ghost.radified.com

NEITHER of them would load either.  Eventually they would display, but when I tried refreshing those pages or the Rad dynamic pages, ALL of them are very very slow.  (I hope I can get this posted now....)

Am I the only one (besides NightOwl and Rad) noticing these web response time problems?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #66 - May 28th, 2007 at 11:51pm

Back to normal response time now.  9:50 pm PDT.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #67 - May 29th, 2007 at 12:00am

Quote:
Am I the only one (besides NightOwl and Rad) noticing these web response time problems?

It's the same here and Ping Plotter is no different during and after an outage.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #68 - May 29th, 2007 at 12:06am

Thanks Brian.  You probably have the record for being the furthest away from Las Vegas.

The "outage" tonight lasted only about 5 minutes from when I first checked it.  The ones on the mornings (6am Pacific Time) seem to last about 15 to 30 minutes.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #69 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:24am

So that confirms it is likely not the SQL server and has more to do with Apache itself.  I'd be interested in knowing if LP uses mounted network shares, or if this server is load balanced, or if all the content is server from a local disk on one server.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #70 - May 29th, 2007 at 8:50am

It was excellent until just a minute ago (6:48am PDT).  Now 5-10 second pauses.

Same problems on this simple small static webpage at the same times.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #71 - May 29th, 2007 at 1:03pm

MrMagoo wrote on May 27th, 2007 at 10:08pm:
Of course, none of those symptoms match yesterday's symptoms exactly or the day before...

Rad, When you connected via FTP, did you attempt to transfer any files?

Not always, but yeah, when I did, FTP x-fers were fine. Fast as ever.

Quote:
I'm starting to think that this is a problem with Apache specifically,

me too. i've had apache problems at the last host, and the symtoms i'm seeing this past week look identical. Note that the version of Apache run on new server is SAME as that run on previous server (1.3.37).

Quote:
and if file transfers worked normally, that would be good evidence the rest of the server and network are running fine.  You've previously said that email works fine when the site is down, which again points to apache.  Also, is your homepage static HTML, or is it tied to your blog?

home page is static, plain html, not tied to the blog or any other script.

Quote:
Can someone try a static page like one of the guides next time we have trouble?  I'd like to know for sure that all HTML pages are affected, rather than just those that use server-side scripting and databases.

it's *all* pages. that's the first thing i tried .. were the (static) guide pages. unable to bring up *any* html pages (as if apache were down).

Quote:
I have a few questions for LP support such as:

1. Is the web site data (html) stored on a local disk on your web server, or is it on some network share?
2. Is your dedicated IP tied directly to a specific server, or is it load balanced across a cluster of servers?
3. Is the SQL database on this same server?

Rad, maybe you can answer #3 for me - What is the address of you SQL server?  Is it "localhost", or something else?

yeah, mysql database is localhost.

Quote:
At any rate, I think we've ruled out any issues with our individual ISP's and computers, so this issue is almost surly on the LP end, which means they need to get involved.  Even if we knew exactly what it was, they would need to be the one to fix it.

Rad, do you have a ticket open with support on this issue, or just a few emails back and forth so far?  You should probably call them and ask that they open a formal ticket to help track this issue.  Make them give you the ticket number so you can follow up.  Maybe then they can get enough data to get the right person to look into it.

i have an open ticket, which i've been informed has been "escalated" but haven't heard back since said escalation.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #72 - May 29th, 2007 at 1:19pm

Pleonasm wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 5:19pm:
Personally, I think the problem is those slow, SCSI hard disk drives used by Lunapages Services.   Grin

(Humor intended, of course!)

Humor is good, especially when trying to troubleshoot these non-humorous issues.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #73 - May 29th, 2007 at 1:53pm

Wow!  That was a 20 minute total outage.  From 11:30am PDT to 11:50, I was trying to open this small static webpage.  Nothing but repeated "IE cannot display this webpage" at which time I tried refreshing over and over again.

Complete outage for 20 minutes.   Angry  Angry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #74 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:22pm

just got off the horn with LP supervisor.

he said i really have no option but to request a move to a new server. Sent this note just now:

hi.

Lunarpages moved my site to a new server on May 11th. Since then I've been having intermittent problems reaching the site.

It appears to be a problem with Apache, since I am always able to access both email & ftp.

The problem has been going on a couple of weeks now, and I'm getting desperate that a solution will never be found.

After speaking with one of your supervisors,he suggested I request to be moved to a new server (again).

Note that there was nothing wrong with my previous LP server (Callisto).

However, I need both PHP5 & MySQL 5.

So I am requesting that you again move my site to a new server (with both PHP 5 & MySQL 5).

I have backed-up both the site and its databases, so you are free to do this at your earliest convenience.

I also request that you move my site to a server physically located in Los Angeles, where the other trouble-free server was located (Callisto).

So, to recap, please move my site to a new server physically located in Los Angeles, supporting both PHP 5.x & MySQL 5.x, at your earliest convenience.
I *do* have a dedicated IP (that I pay extra for).

And I have one add-on domain (hardnuf.com).

I have just done this, so I'm familiar with the drill.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print