Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12: Error E4BC0012 (Read 13883 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Ghost 12: Error E4BC0012
May 24th, 2007 at 2:32am

I got bellow error when Ghost 12 create backup of My Computer and My Documents Folder for the first time (created by easy setup and 'run backup now'):

Can someone explain it to me what is the meaning of the error?

I think when using Norton Save and Restore, I got the same error too.

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 12: Error E4BC0012
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:44am

rulirahm

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for your situation--but I have to make this comment--this is why I'm not a fan of *hot imaging* with the Windows OS active--I just don't get these type of errors in DOS!

Of course, I don't have the functionality of file and directory backup--but I don't use imaging software as a simple backup solution either!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007 at 12:15pm

NightOwl, although receiving an error message from a utility is never a pleasant experience, I wouldn’t argue that its occurrence is indicative of problems with the “hot imaging” approach.

As illustrated by numerous posts on this forum, Ghost 2003 as well issues error messages under various conditions, even when running in DOS – right?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 1:16pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
Ghost 2003 as well issues error messages under various conditions, even when running in DOS – right?

In DOS--never a *Windows* conflict  Wink !  Usually errors are when trying to use the Windows interface for Ghost 2003 that has to set things up in Windows, shut down, and re-boot to DOS--I consider that a Windows compatibility issue--not DOS imaging.  Just boot from a floppy or bootable CD and those errors typically are eliminated!  So Ghost 2003 using the Windows interface is a quasi *hot-imaging* Windows running issue!

Barring those errors above--most other error conditions come from trying to use CD's and DVD's to record an image to optical media, or verify the integrity of an image on optical media.  Imaging to and from optical media has been shown to be flaky at best--probably from optical drives that have not been well engineered to operate in DOS!  Just as USB external HDD's is a *Windows* standard, most optical drives (personal opinion here!) have been *dummied down* to work primarily in the Windows environment--so many incompatibilities occur because DOS compatibility is not considered important anymore--and DOS USB was never considered important!  And, even using the newer versions of Ghost 9, 10, Save & Restore (Ghost 12--no known reports as yet--good or bad!) in Windows have proven to be unreliable for writing images to optical media--based on repeated failures noted in these forums.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Rulirahm is not using "hot imaging". It's a Files and Folders backup.

I've not tried this.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 8:34pm

I think I found it.

It's happening with Norton Save and Restore (NSR) 2.0 and Norton Ghost (NG) 12, running on Vista Home Premium.

After finishing the installation of NSR or NG, they always popuped us with a wizard about to create My Computer Backup and My Documents Backup in a scheduled time or we can choose 'Run backup now'.

While they creating My Computer Backup and My Documents Backup, I leave the computer untill the backup finished. Then we can received message 'Backup Sucessfully'. But, if we working with our computer while the backup running (the 1st time backup), the error will appears when they wanna create My Documents Backup. The My Computer Backup always successfully (working or not working with the computer).

But just for the first time the My Documents Backup error. Next backup (scheduled), will runs smoothly. At least, this is my experienced.

p.s. I don't received mail notification about topic reply even I had checked 'Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic' every time I create a new post or reply a topic. When I click Notification, it's listed.

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2007 at 8:44pm

Good to hear you have it under control and also good to hear the "hot imaging" component was not involved in the error.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2007 at 12:16am

Brian

Quote:
Rulirahm is not using "hot imaging". It's a Files and Folders backup.

My bad!  Okay, so Symantec, which has attempted to make Ghost a file and folder backup solution, as well as an imaging solution, seems to be having *hot* issues with file and folder backups as well  Cheesy !

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2007 at 3:40am

I'm still not receiving mail notification about topic reply. Please help  Cry

At least, when I create this post, the 'Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic' automatically checked.

RR

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2007 at 8:28am

Received now  Smiley  Something error with my mail settings.

RR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print