Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Nortons Ghost 10 Live Update problems (Read 55257 times)
tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Re: Nortons Ghost 10 Live Update problems
Reply #45 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:02pm

Brian wrote on May 27th, 2007 at 3:37pm:
My baseline recovery point is only 4 GB as I don't store data files in the C: drive. So I create a baseline recovery point weekly and incrementals daily. All scheduled. I don't set Ghost to limit the number of backups, I delete backups older than 3 to 4 weeks. This is done from Windows Explorer and I ignore the Ghost catalog as I found it too confusing.

Thanks for your input Brian.  Ghost4me has certainly helped me with learning about my Ghost 10.  As my last post advises I have set a weekly complete system backup with incremental backups daily.

One interesting question I would like you to answer if you can, "have you ever done on your System a test recover of your entire image backup to a new HD?"  In other words pretend your main HD has failed, remove it, insert a new one and transfer your Ghost E\Drive to the new HD.

kind regards,

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #46 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:04pm

John. wrote on May 27th, 2007 at 3:57pm:
So how do you "create a baseline recovery point weekly and incrementals daily"?

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

You don't always get an incremental when you want one. If there has been "significant" changes to the partition data, a baseline will be created. This doesn't happen often.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #47 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:11pm

Great Post Brian, thanks for it.

I am sure I did that, but will now go back in and check as I have printed out your advise.

Great Forum this one.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #48 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:12pm

Quote:
"have you ever done on your System a test recover of your entire image backup to a new HD?"  In other words pretend your main HD has failed, remove it, insert a new one and transfer your Ghost E\Drive to the new HD.

Yes, once on my main computer when the first HD actually did die. And dozens of times on test computers when I was just playing around. I've used Ghost and several of the other imaging apps and it always works. It still seems magical.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #49 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:26pm

Good, as there are lots of 'downers' out there who ask, "Will the transfer work if you really need it".  If it has always worked for you, why not for all?   Wink

I read your "blokes and shielers" post?  I must be thick! but is there a message for we Australians in it?  Although Ghost4me has many Australian friends I doubt he would know what it meant!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:35pm

Ghost4me started it. I was just adding the rest of our Aussie gender description. I note you are a shiela.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - May 27th, 2007 at 4:41pm

I think we both have the incorrect spelling. Looks like it's "sheila".

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #52 - May 27th, 2007 at 5:01pm

I picked up the spelling was incorrect (shiela) but after the uncalled for 'tick off' from two of  the Mods I thought it prudent not to correct anyone or anything on this forum.  Yes you are right it is 'Sheila' with a capital as is Blokes.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #53 - May 27th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose
Recovery point set (recommended),
Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

You don't always get an incremental when you want one. If there has been "significant" changes to the partition data, a baseline will be created. This doesn't happen often.

Brian, Running the Wizard when I get to the above in red, I do not get that option, only the
"Independent"
option. It explains why at the bottom of the page ie,

"The recovery point set option is disabled because you have already assigned a selective recovery drive point set. You can only have one recovery point set defined for each drive."

Is this because showing in

Backup Now

Recovery point of C\:  Drives Desination, Last run, Next run.....details
Complete System Backup C\: with same again.....details.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - May 27th, 2007 at 6:58pm

tallin wrote on May 27th, 2007 at 6:31pm:
Brian, Running the Wizard when I get to the above in red, I do not get that option, only the
"Independent"
option. It explains why at the bottom of the page ie,

Yes, you can only have one schedule. To setup mine, you will have to delete your schedule.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print