Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Nortons Ghost 10 Live Update problems (Read 55075 times)
tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Nortons Ghost 10 Live Update problems
May 24th, 2007 at 3:16am

I am running Nortons Ghost 10 as my backup onto a Seagate Barracuda 160GB HD.

All is fine except for my attempt to have Live Update Express version 3.2.0.52 install 2929.3KB downloads recently offered. All is downloaded successfully, but I get two error messages within Live Update as follows:

Fatal error installation failed.

LU 1812 - Part update not applied, update failed.
LU 1806 - Error, all failed to install.

In Event Viewer there are the following two errors also:

Product: Norton Ghost 10 MisInstaller error, LinkID 23127 (error code 1603) Nortons Ghost Update error.

Product: Norton Ghost 10 ..Internal Error 2251.... Registry.
Source msiInstaller.

In researching the above errors and ID links I cannot resolve this due to lack of knowledge. There is however no reference on the relevant Microsoft sites mentioning specifically Nortons Ghost 10.

Could one of the experts help me out here if possible please?

Due to further research in trying to resolve this situation I have researched further Symantec Technical sites and have been told four different items, namely:

1. Ghost 10 is no longer supported.
2. My Ghost 10 is up to date. (The site scans this computer for Nortons running products)
3. Live Update is offering 2929.3kb update.   (Fatal error, unable to install)
4. Upgrade to Ghost 12 at a reduced cost.

I have also had a one on one chat with Abhishek at Symantec live technical support.  The Live update problem was not resolved. (Chat request ID 208794)
Now I am waiting on a detailed email response from Symantec Technical Support.

(Technical Support Incident # 070522-003631)

This has all been going on for over a month now, please can someone assist me from Symantec to resolve this situation.  I purchased your product on 9th January 2006, did not expect to have such trouble with updates and continual registration problems.  I already hold two registration keys for the one product due to problems 12 months after installation.

thank you.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Nortons Ghost 10 Live Update problems
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:38pm

tallin,

Any idea what the Live Update does? I did it on my son's computer and Ghost 10 didn't work any differently. Fine before and fine after.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:33pm

Brian wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 5:38pm:
Any idea what the Live Update does? I did it on my son's computer and Ghost 10 didn't work any differently. Fine before and fine after.

I have no idea, but see my previous thread with no responses:

Ghost 10.0.3 availabe via LiveUpdate

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:44pm

John. wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 6:33pm:

I have no idea, but see my previous thread with no responses:

Ghost 10.0.3 availabe via LiveUpdate

I suggest you google it and read all about it, Ghost 10 does not work if you don't have Live Update it is part of that softwares download.  Frankly I am floored neither of you know what it is?  Embarrassed

Thanks for your posts, but I thought I would get a fix on this forum not a request for knowledge!

kind regards,

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999121613163206?Open&...

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enA...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:58pm

I think you misread both Brian's and my comments.  I know what LiveUpdate does.  It's an integral part of all Symantec consumer products for updating their software.

My statement was that I don't know what fixes etc are in the 10.0.3.20387 update, not what the LiveUpdate itself is.

For some reason, Symantec has never publicized what is fixed in their updates.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:58pm

tallin,

With respect, you haven't provided any more information. We know what Live Update does but we don't know what this particular update does for Ghost 10. Does it make it better or worse? Symantec doesn't tell us what the update is supposed to fix.

As my Ghost 10 was working perfectly, how was the update going to make it work better?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2007 at 7:36pm

tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 3:16am:
Fatal error installation failed.

LU 1812 - Part update not applied, update failed.
LU 1806 - Error, all failed to install.

In Event Viewer there are the following two errors also:
Product: Norton Ghost 10 MisInstaller error, LinkID 23127 (error code 1603) Nortons Ghost Update error.
Product: Norton Ghost 10 ..Internal Error 2251.... Registry.
Source msiInstaller.

The fact that you are having these kinds of errors indicates some serious is wrong beyond just a LiveUpdate issue.  My recommendation (maybe you've already had this one from Symantec) is the following:

1. Uninstall Norton Ghost
2. Reboot
3. Download the Norton Removal Tool and run it (look for instructions on the Symantec website)
4. Reboot
5. Install Norton Ghost 10 from scratch.
6. Run Live Update in interactive mode (change it in Control Panel).

The only reason you may not want to run the Norton Removal Tool is that it will clean up the registry of ALL Symantec products, so if you have Norton AntiVirus as well, it will affect it.

Bottom line, the error messages (MSI etc) indicate some other type of problem that is above and beyond just a Ghost error.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:11pm

John. wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 6:33pm:
Any idea what the Live Update does? .

tallin,

Any idea what the Live Update does?

I must be from another planet misreading the above quotes, as they distinctly ask what Live Update does.

However thank you for your advice.  As you can't find out what is included in the update I referred to in my first post, how would I know?  I have no idea whether it will make my Ghost 10 version 8400 run any better. As your quote below states, you answer your own question to me.  

John. wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 6:58pm:
 I know what LiveUpdate does.  It's an integral part of all Symantec consumer products for updating their software.

My statement was that I don't know what fixes etc are in the 10.0.3.20387 update, not what the LiveUpdate itself is.

For some reason, Symantec has never publicized what is fixed in their updates.

Yes I certianly have had that your good advice (#1 through #6) told to me by Symantec Technical, but that is the easy way out for them as I mentioned my Ghost 10 is fine, I just cannot install that update of 2929.3kb.

I have no other Norton's product thankfully on this computer so the Norton Removal tool will not affect other software.

However the problem will all be solved on 5th June as this morning I have ordered another Disk Drive 80GB.  As a test case only my tech who knows more than I do will transfer E:\Drive (Ghost Drive) to the new HD to make sure it works. Then attempt to fix Live Update in the process during his visit.  If that does not work he will then uninstall and reinstall Norton's Ghost 10 as he thinks like you that will solve the Live Update problem.  He will also register the new installation as that in itself can be stressful to say the least.

If you are referring to those errors in Event Viewer that are in my initial post - I have no idea what they would be, but I can tell you my computer is running so well and so is Ghost 10, with only the one obvious problem that I cannot install the update with Live Update.

Hope this explains my thoughts from this end

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:20pm

tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 9:11pm:
do will transfer E:\Drive (Ghost Drive) to the new HD to make sure it works.

tallin,

Is WinXP installed in your E: drive? Which OS is the C: drive?

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:53pm

Brian wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 9:20pm:
do will transfer E:\Drive (Ghost Drive) to the new HD to make sure it works.

tallin,

Is WinXP installed in your E: drive? Which OS is the C: drive?

The E:\Drive is a mirror image of C:\ done by Ghost in incremental backups daily with a full image back up weekly.  The only reason for E:\Drive is for Ghost to backup onto it.  When I go away I lock it in the safe in case someone should get in.  That way I
should
always have my entire computer safely locked away.

Thanks for your interest, what are you aiming at asking that question?

Best regards,

Windows XP SP/2,
Pentium 4Intel P4, 3.0GHZ PRESCOTT ASUS P4S800-MX MOTHERBOARD,
RAM 1024MB,
WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
SONY, 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE
80GB, HARD DRIVE
160GB SEAGATE INTERNAL REMOVABLE
E:\DRIVE

NORTONS GHOST 10
LITEON DVD+/-R/RW,
16XBURNERDUAL LAYER,
D-LINK DSL 200 MODEM

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:16pm

"... Any idea what the Live Update does?..."

"... I must be from another planet misreading the above quotes, as they distinctly ask what Live Update does..."

In this little corner of my planet, I instantly interpret 'the' as a singularity in the expression above.  Remove 'the' and I would then agree with the interpretation on your planet Wink

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2007 at 11:24pm

tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 9:53pm:
what are you aiming at asking that question?

I was hoping that your OS wasn't installed in the E: drive as you could have had problems restoring the image. Your setup is fine.

Unfortunately, having your second HD locked in a safe doesn't guarantee that you will be able to make a HD that will be bootable in another computer if your main computer is stolen. But it's good thing to do. At least you will be able to recover your data files.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Re: Norton's Ghost 10 Live Update problems
Reply #12 - May 24th, 2007 at 11:47pm

Brian wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 11:24pm:
tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 9:53pm:
what are you aiming at asking that question?

I was hoping that your OS wasn't installed in the E: drive as you could have had problems restoring the image. Your setup is fine.

Unfortunately, having your second HD locked in a safe doesn't guarantee that you will be able to make a HD that will be bootable in another computer if your main computer is stolen. But it's good thing to do. At least you will be able to recover your data files.

Well I must thank you for your posts.  There is not much likelihood of anything being stolen here as I live in a secure gated community, but it is better than having no backup at all wouldn't you agree?

El_Pescador takes life very seriously so I just went along with him.  We all make mistakes, but being able to admit to it is the answer without being rude!  He did not try to offer a solution to any of my worries instead just castigated me and left!

Out of interest, what Ghost have you got and what do you back up onto?  I was not thinking the computer would be stolen, just that someone may get in and muck around on it - OR that the original HD may fail so that way I could buy a new HD, internal and with my E:\Drive transfer the image onto the new internal HD.

thanks again, kind regards

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2007 at 11:51pm

tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 10:30pm:
You win, I am only a poor Australian! Should I now get down on my knees and say sorry?

Aussies always welcome here.  Some of my best friends are Aussies!

I had thought somehow we misunderstood each other regarding LiveUpdate.

But I agree, if it's working great, don't fix it for now.  And please post back with your results of the new drive and if the Ghost problem pops up again.  I'm here to learn from others experiences, so feel free to contribute yours.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton's Ghost 10 Live Update problems
Reply #14 - May 25th, 2007 at 12:10am

tallin wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 11:47pm:
what Ghost have you got and what do you back up onto? 

I've used all the Ghosts although my favourite is Ghost 9. I'm thinking of changing to Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, not because I think it will do a better backup, but there are a few features I'd like to play with. I backup similarly to your regimen. Weekly baselines with daily incrementals, written to a second HD. Every week or two I copy a backup image from the second HD to an external HD for redundancy. I'd copy a backup image to DVD every 6 to 12 months but my heart is not in that backup.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print