Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 restore problem (Read 7177 times)
lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Ghost 12 restore problem
May 25th, 2007 at 3:18pm

I have a problem with Ghost 12 that Symantec has not been any help with.  I backup one drive containing Vista operating system.  The other drive is an XP system; I am dual booting using the Vista boot manager.  My backup schedule is a full restore point once a week with incremental restore points daily.  The incremental restore points will not restore a bootable system, I get a Vista error that there is a problem with the registry.  It suggests attempting a repair with the Vista DVD, which doesn't fix the problem.  The one full restore point works fine and the restore process takes about 5 times as long as using one of the daily incremental points, which suggests to me that these points aren't correctly picking up the applicable data from the original full restore point.  Has anyone else experienced this issue with Vista or know of something I may be missing?

LWolff123

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 12 restore problem
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2007 at 5:20pm

lwolff123,

I have no experience with Vista. Just a few comments.

Restoring from an incremental recovery point should take almost the same time as restoring from a full recovery point. I say almost because the verify part of the restore is faster with an incremental recovery point because the file is smaller.

How large are your full and incremental recovery points?
How much used space in the Vista partition?
How long does a full and an incremental recovery take?
Where are the recovery points stored?
In the recovery environment, do you select the "Files" choice to find your recovery points rather than just choosing them from the first screen? You get more restore choices by choosing "Files".

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Brian,

My restore points are on a third hard drive.  The Vista drive is 160 gigs, with only about 1/3 used.  The full restore point is about 30 gigs, the smaller ones are about 1 gig.  The incremental point restore took about 10 minutes to restore, the full about 40 minutes.  I am not currently on my home computer so I can't really answer your last question about the options.  What I do know is that I did exactly the same procedure with both the incremental and the full restore point (2 different ones in fact) and the full works the incrementals do not.  I don't think this has anything to do with the issue, but I didn't mention previously that the Vista drive is SATA Raid.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2007 at 5:53pm

lwolff123,

A 40 minute restore sounds normal. A 10 minute restore is "impossible". For what it's worth, try the "Files" choice with an incremental. Do the incrementals "Verify" OK?

Have you tried restoring WinXP?

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2007 at 6:01pm

Brian,

I haven't tried to verify them, I will do that this weekend.  No, I haven't attempted this with my XP drive yet - I may also experiment with that too.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who can verify this works or doesn't with XP and Ghost 12 as well as it will help me understand if I am doing something incorrectly.

Lwolff123

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2007 at 6:11pm

To verify, double click your .v2i and .iv2i files. The Recovery Point Browser opens. Select the recovery point in the left pane. Click Verify.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2007 at 10:26pm

This is how I'd restore a backup image (Recovery point) from the Ghost 12 CD recovery environment. The RE loads in two minutes. Twice as fast as Ghost 9/10.

Shutdown computer (don't do a restart). Press the power button to start computer.
boot to the Ghost 12 CD
choose your Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
Next
in the "View by" (drop down arrow) choose Filename
click Browse
double click Computer
navigate to the folder containing your Recovery points
select the relevant Recovery point (Baseline or incremental)
click Open
Next
Select the relevant partition
Next
put ticks in Verify, Check for file system errors, Set drive active, Restore Original Disk Signature
Only tick Restore MBR if restoring to a different HD
Next
put tick in Reboot when finished
Finish

I think the recovery environments for Ghost 12, NSR 2 and SBESR are basically the same and the above procedure applies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print