Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 - Restoring NTFS paritions in DOS (Read 5928 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 - Restoring NTFS paritions in DOS
May 28th, 2007 at 3:08pm

I can successfully create image files for NTFS partitions but I'm at a loss on how to restore one in the DOS interface booting from a floppy.  I have a hard drive with 5 NTFS partitions.  In trying to restore the first partition I select my image file with no problem, then asked to select the hard drive - no problem, but when asked to select my particular partition I want to restore all of them are greyed out.  I can't select or scroll on the parititions.  My FAT32 parititions on my other hard drive are selectable allowing me to restore them if I need to.

Well, I have a NTFS partition I can't restore.  Here, I've been faithfully saving NTFS images on my FAT32 USB drives only to find out that I can't do partition restores.  What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 2003 - Restoring NTFS paritions in DOS
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:30pm

I did a little more exploring and discovered that Ghost 2003 in DOS greys out my partititions only when I'm attempting to restore the primary partition which is NTFS.  When trying to restore a NTFS partition which is an extended partition everything highlights and is selectable, even the primary NTFS partition.  Am I doing something wrong in the backup process?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2007 at 10:03pm

clevelandtxus

Strange--the only thing I can think of that would cause Ghost in DOS to *grey out* a destination would be if your image file(s) are stored on that first OS partition (you can not restore to the partition that is the source of your image!), or if you were restoring the partition to an existing partition that is too small to hold the data contained in the image file partition.

I just did a *test* walk through with my system to refresh my memory--I have several partitions--the OS is NTFS, couple FAT32 partitions, another NTFS partition and a FAT16.

Booted to DOS, loaded Ghost, selected *Local>Partition>From Image*:

a.  then picked the source partition and sub-directory where the image is stored
b.  selected the *.gho* first file of the image set
c.  once opened, then selected the 1st partition--OS, NTFS as the source
d.  then was presented with the selection of the drive for destination, and then the partition needed to be selected--only partitions that were greyed out were the ones that were too small.

What steps are you following?

Quote:
I can't select or scroll on the parititions.

Is your OS partition not listed in the drop-down destination box--or is it present, but greyed out?  The reason I ask--the *scroll* function in DOS Ghost 2003 is *broken*--doesn't work--you have to use the down arrow key to see any partitions that are beyond the initial list of the drop-down menu selection box.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2007 at 1:21pm

I found a pattern but it is truly strange.

I have 3 separate backups of the primary partition (NTFS) of my 2nd hard drive stored on two separate USB drives.  One backup on USB drive #1, and two backups on USB drive #2.  On the first backup on USB drive #1 I don't get the greying out when being prompted for the destination drive.  However, for the other two backups on USB drive #2 I get the greying out when being prompted for the destination.  What is curious is that the two backups on USB drive #2 both are completely accessible in Ghost Explorer if I examine them in Windows, and they both passed integrity check when first created. 

In all other cases with my backups of my NTFS extended partitions, regardless of which USB drive I write to, I don't have the destination drive grey-out.  If seems that my backups of my primary NTFS partition on my 2nd hard drive written to USB drive #2 are losing a bit or two along the way.  By the way, my primary partition on my 2nd hard drive contains my Win XP OS.  My primary partition on my 1st hard drive is FAT32 and contains Win 98.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print