Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need to format before recover? (Read 4631 times)
Miller
Ex Member

Need to format before recover?
May 31st, 2007 at 5:24pm

Real newbie question I guess.

Is it necessary/advisable to format a drive before doing a complete drive recovery?  Somehow, I mistrust the idea that a recovery point over existing data is completely clean. 

If formatting is advisable, what utility is best?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need to format before recover?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2007 at 5:44pm

Miller,

Your choice. You can restore to a partition or unallocated space. I usually restore to a partition. Ghost deletes the previous partition before it restores the backup image. I never format an existing OS partition prior to restoring. It would make no difference if you did this. The restore would still work.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 4:53am

Brian wrote on May 31st, 2007 at 5:44pm:
Ghost deletes the previous partition before it restores the backup image.

Wait, I'm a litle bit confuse here.

When we boot our computer using Ghost Recovery Environment (RE) disc, we have an option to delete a partition first before Ghost start to restore image. Let's say that we want to recover Windows (drive C). So deleting or not deleting a partition or drive, Ghost will always deletes the partition/drive?

Save time I guess.

But I'm always deleting the partition (make it to be unlocated space) first before restoring image. What is the different between deleting or not deleting?

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 5:26am

rulirahm wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 4:53am:
What is the different between deleting or not deleting?

None. The restore still works.

I think the delete option is present so that if you want to create a larger unallocated space for the restore then you can do this by deleting two or more adjacent partitions.

IP Logged

Miller
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 5:57pm

Thank you Brian.   My plan (not unique to me I am sure) is to use an OS/applications-only "distro" restore point, and then restore regularly, every month or so.  The point: simply to run a clean XP install.   I am convinced it is impossible to sustain a clean XP installation for any length of time.  Sad, but that's my, and not just my, experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print