Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Symantec's Help Me Choose always choose NS&R (Read 8747 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Symantec's Help Me Choose always choose NS&R
Jun 1st, 2007 at 10:07am

I click Symantec's Help Me Choose from Symantec's Home & Home Office website. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I picked up:

1. Email and instant message
2. Surf the internet
3. Shop and bank online
4. Download programs, files and music
5. Backup all your stuff
6. Restore from system failures

Or picked up all above except for Backup all your stuff, but nothing they recommended for Ghost. Always NS&R and NIS.

What do you think? Should I go with NS&R?

I also try another Help Me Choose from Symantec's website too and picked up all except for Connect wirelessly in a public place at ease, Tuneup PC and optimize performance and All-In-One security in a single product. Same result.

RR

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Re: Symantec's Help Me Choose always choose NS&R
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:30pm

Please explain. If you want Ghost, just buy it. If not, what do you want? Your post does not make this clear at all. What are you after?

Not intending to be gruff, just to the point.

Thanks,

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:57pm

rulirahm wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 10:07am:

It depends on which features you need. I'd imagine the image backup component is the same in each.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1177478360/33#33

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 11:54pm

dbird wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:30pm:
Please explain. If you want Ghost, just buy it. If not, what do you want? Your post does not make this clear at all. What are you after?

Not intending to be gruff, just to the point.

Thanks,

Dave

I need an advice from an experts and that's what the forum for. An advise from an experts is my main question.

If you just wanna go with Ghost or NSR or another program that you think is good without thinking first, just go with it. But me, I need to think, find informations, talk and ask to someone (experts).

That's my point.

RR

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 12:06am

Brian wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:57pm:

It depends on which features you need.

You're right. I'll try NSR. I totally use my computer at home (personal).

Brian wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:57pm:
I'd imagine the image backup component is the same in each.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1177478360/33#33

That's it. At first, I doubt about the Full system backup (disk image) — Backs up everything on a hard drive or partition of NSR. After reading the feature from Symantec's wesite, I pretty sure that the disk image of NSR same with Ghost and when we use NSR CD Recovery Environment, I'll got everything just like what Ghost 10 did to me when I'm using XP. I got everything back 100 %!

But I received error:

A popup when NSR trying to create backup of My Documents:
Code:
-Error E4BC0012: An interaction with the catalog's database layer failed unexpectedly: sqlite3_step--5: database is locked. 

Progress and performance error message:
Code:
Error e4bc0012 running job: My Documents Backup. 

Event log message:
Code:
Error EC8F1C50: Cannot create file backup for job: My Documents Backup. Error E4BC0012: An interaction with the catalog's database layer failed unexpectedly: sqlite3_step--5: database is locked.
Details: 0xE4BC0012
Source: Norton Save & Restore

The My Computer Backup just run normally.

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 2:47am

rulirahm,

Sorry, that's a files and folder backup error message and I've only tried one of these backups as a test. There were no errors. I use other files and folder backup software, which I prefer.

I think NSR should suit most people. Few will need the extra features of Ghost 12 and there is a $20 price difference.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:35am

Me too  Smiley

I'm thinking about the default
Backup and Restore Center
in Vista (Home Premium) just for backing up My Documents and Folders. Have you tried it? Is it Vista use imaging technology too?

But, the My Documents, Pictures, Music, Contacts etc folder are stored in the drive C (C:\User\rulirahm). NS&R create disk image of our drive C for My Computer Backup. I think we can just use the My Computer Backup and disable the My Documents backup.

I just need to backup Windows and My Documents (including Pictures, Music etc.) in my case.

Since I bought my computer (Augustus 25, 2006), few days ago is the first time I accidentally deleted My Documents folder (still with XP folder structure). I lost everything even I can use recovery tool but most of the recovered data are bad  Cry

Luckily I've a back up stored in a CD. The backup was created on January 10, 2007. My fault. I should not use my computer when I got sick  Cry

RR

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 1:41pm

This may help... or not.

I use Ghost 9, and do a scheduled incremental backup once a week; a full new image about once a month.

But, to get intermediate points between scheduled, I use Roxio's BackupMyPC (cheap and effective and conventional) to manually save mail, and other fast changing or important stuff that changes during the week. I frequently get lazy on these manual in-between backups, unless I know that I'm going to do something potentially dangerous. But I've been lucky so far and I'm happy with the result. It suits the way I use my system, which is turned off about half of the time, in used intensively most of the rest of the time, except for the window of time used for scheduled backups.

I have no experience with NS&R, but it sounds interesting. It might be good to have an integrated solution. I may look into it in the future.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was not aware of NS&R and it's relationship to the ghost line.

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print