Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning up my Recovery Folders. (Read 7191 times)
tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Cleaning up my Recovery Folders.
Jun 1st, 2007 at 3:55pm

Since uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost 10 and due to confusion on my part my E:\Drive (Ghost Drive) has three folders where saved recovery points are saved. The names are:

1. Ghost Points (empty as I deleted all the old recovery point that were not needed)

2. Norton Ghost Backups containing two Sub Folders:

a -Ghost 10 New backups (30GB)
b -New manual backups for C (25GB)

To clear this up am I right in transferring all the recovery points and incremental backups since reinstalling into the Ghost Points Folder  and deleting the entire Norton's Ghost Backups containing the two sub folders which will then be empty.

Then there would be one last item to attend to is change the scheduled next Recovery point saved location to "Ghost Points".

Would this exercise work for me please?  Sorry for this question, but still learning and as I said due to confusion after reinstalling I would have created those extra folders.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Re: Cleaning up my Recovery Folders.
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:42pm

I think there should be a *.s2vi file in each sub-folder. Not sure what it's necessary for, but I would not be surprised if the file has the same name in both sub-folders.

When I look at the *.s2vi file in my image storage drive, I see things relating to the image files produced, as well as to the imaged drive names and other stuff.

If this file can be deleted or overwritten without problems, and if the image files have unique names, I see no problem with what you propose.

Good luck,

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 10:02pm

tallin,

I'd move all recovery points to the one folder. You can safely delete .sv2i files (just an index file). Another .sv2i file will be created at the next backup.

You can do the move from Ghost 10 or Windows Explorer. I always do it from Windows Explorer as it's easier.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:26am

Thanks Brian and  dbird,

I did transfer all the files over to the Ghost Points folder.  I also changed the backup location option to Ghost Points.  Since then there has been a scheduled incremental back up that worked fine so all is well.

thanks you to you both for your help.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:52am

Sorry for a litle bit off topic  Undecided

I think I can't found the way using NS&R about how to completly removed the backup files (.v2i, sv2i) and File Backup Data (My Documents Backup)  Embarrassed

Let's say that I wanna create (define new backup) but gonna delete existing backup job, files (clearing all) first.

Please help.

With Ghost 10 I know the way.

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:04am

rulirahm,

It should be Tasks icon (on left), Run or Manage Backups, Remove.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:30am

Brian wrote on Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:04am:
rulirahm,

It should be Tasks icon (on left), Run or Manage Backups, Remove.

Yes, just found it in the user manual of NS&R:

Quote:
To delete recovery points within a set
1 On the Tools page, click Manage Backup Destination.
2 Select the recovery point set that you want to delete, and then click Delete.
3 Do one of the following:
■ To automatically delete all but the first and last recovery point in the set,
click Automatic.
■ To manually select which recovery points in the set to delete, click Manual,
and then select the recovery points you want to delete.
■ To delete all the recovery points in the set you selected, click Delete all
recovery points in the set.
4 Click OK.

And yes, I only have My Computer Backup. The My Documents Backup is not there. I think because of the error that I've posted before. That's why I wanna Define New Backup because of the error   Angry

I've mailed Symantec for the error and still waiting for their reply. I've searched the error message/solution for my error in the Symantec website. Nothing's found.

Mostly it'll work if I don't touch/using my computer while the backup (only for first backup after we install NS&R and use the Easy Setup wizard to configure backup and choose "Run the backup now) is running. And I don't touch anything but still error.

BTW, thanks  Smiley

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:36pm

rulirahm,

Is your My Documents folder in the C: drive? If it is, then you can recover My Documents from the .v2i.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 5:21pm

Brian wrote on Jun 2nd, 2007 at 3:36pm:
rulirahm,

Is your My Documents folder in the C: drive? If it is, then you can recover My Documents from the .v2i.

Yes and I can see Contacts, Documents, Pictures, Music folder in the Recovery Point Browser.

Hi Brian, I followed the NS&R's Help about
Manually deleting files from your file and folder backup
:

Quote:
Manually deleting files from your file and folder backup

You can manually delete files that are stored in your backup destination.

To manually delete files from your file and folder backup

1. On the Home or Tasks page, click Recover My Files

2. Do one of the following:

• In the Find files to recover box, type the file name of the file that you want to delete, and then click Search

• If you don't know the name of the file, click Search to return a list of all of the files that have been backed up, and then browse for the file.

3. Click View All Versions to display all versions of each file that exist in the file and folder backup data.

4. Select one or more files that you want to delete.

5. Right-click, and then click Delete.

My purpose is I want to delete the My Documents Backup data like deleting a recovery point: Tools > Manage Backup Destination > Select the recovery point then click Delete.

But the process of deleting the data of My Documents Backup quite long. Better browse the data using Windows Explorer then just hit Del key on the keyboard.

RR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print