Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems After Last LiveUpdate for Ghost 10 (Read 6484 times)
Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Problems After Last LiveUpdate for Ghost 10
Jun 3rd, 2007 at 7:20pm

After the last LiveUpdate (to Version: 10.0.3.20387) of Ghost 10, whenever I start the program it tells me to put the program CD in the drive and find a file named "NCGHOST10.MSI".  When I locate that file and click on it, it tells me that's it's not a "valid installation package" even though it has the correct name and is on the original installation CD.  Eventually I discovered that if I keep clicking on the Cancel button, the program will eventually run and do everything it's supposed to do including creating valid recovery points  However, the work-around is a real hassle.  Other than un-installing and re-installing the program (which I hate to do with a working, just irritating program) is there anything else I can do ?  Has anyone else had this same problem ?  This was a pre-installed program on my new PC (with Windows XP Pro) that I paid Dell for by the way.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Problems After Last LiveUpdate for Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:01pm

Mel_Slane,

You haven't had much luck with Norton Ghost. Fortunately I haven't seen the problem you describe with Live Update. As I create daily incremental recovery points, whenever I encounter an annoying problem like this, not easily fixed, I restore "yesterday's" recovery point. That's what Ghost is for. Restoring to a time when your computer was functioning normally.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 12:37am

Mel_Slane wrote on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 7:20pm:
After the last LiveUpdate (to Version: 10.0.3.20387) of Ghost 10, whenever I start the program it tells me to put the program CD in the drive and find a file named "NCGHOST10.MSI".  

I think the Ghost 10.0.3 update is actually installed like some programs are.  That's what the msi extension means.  It appears to me that possibly your update didn't complete all the way, because if it did, you wouldn't be getting this message.

There is a free Microsoft Cleanup Utility which is used to cleanup failed installs.  When you run it, it gives you a list of msi installs and asks which (if any) you want cleaned up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Before running the Cleanup Utility, I would suggest deleting files in your temp directory etc.  CCleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ) is a good free program to remove temp files etc.

After running that you can run the MSI cleanup utility and see what it says.  If you remove or cleanup the 10.0.3 update, it "MAY" fix everything.  However, you may end up needing to uninstall Ghost 10, running CCleaner, MSI Cleanup and then re-installing.

So the choice is up to you.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 2:01pm

nice little app.

i just downloaded & ran ccleaner.

thanks for posting the link.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 2:29pm

CCleaner is good, but Cleanup is a less aggressive temporary internet file cleaner so I have learned on various forums I am registered with.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanUp_d4895.html

A good maintenance program to follow if I could suggest one is the following:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/Run_Maintenance_t26256.html

Hope this helps.  Wink

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 6:15pm