Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2K3: My Experiences (Read 8011 times)
gkar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2K3: My Experiences
Jun 4th, 2007 at 5:39pm

I have been a long-time viewer of this execellent forum & has been my source of info for all things about Ghost 2003.

I now have three PCs:
 one desktop -which I use for internet browsing, gaming & other normal PC duties.
 one main HTPC -which is a dedicated entertainment system, until this weekend had a mixture of IDE & SATA HDD drives & no floppy.
 Now, one HTPC for bedroom use which will be networked for media files' playback.

With my desktop, I use a floppy to boot into the Ghost environment. No issues.
With my HTPC, I researched & made a boot CD from the instructions on this site: very helpful. Thanks.
NB. a couple of notes to which I never found any info & has been a catalyst for this thread; it would take some five minutes to boot into the EULA page from the initial Ghost screen (ie. the one with just the cursor showing loading the programme), then another five-odd minutes to load into the page which allows you to set the save to drive etc. I just thought this was normal for SATA drives as the boot CD worked instantly on my desktop with just a single IDE drive.

As I built the bedroom HTPC, I intended to swap the IDE HDD drive with the boot partition from my main HTPC into my newer bedroom one, as I had purchased a 500GB for my main unit, separated into three partitions: 15.3GB for boot; 27GB for Ghost & programme backups; the rest for media.

I tried a number of methods to get Ghost working on my main unit with just SATA drives fitted; all to no avail. I tried building a new boot CD using the /fni switch. Didn't work, even with the IDE drive refitted. I then tried the /noide switch: guess what it worked perfectly.

I have since used this /noide switch on the two systems: one with just the IDE drive & the other with just SATA drives. Go figure.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2K3: My Experiences
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 11:30pm

thanks for the post. interesting.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:24am

gkar

Quote:
I then tried the /noide switch: guess what it worked perfectly.

I have since used this /noide switch on the two systems: one with just the IDE drive & the other with just SATA drives. Go figure.

So, even when you use the */noide* switch, the system with an IDE HDD still allows for Ghost access!!!

That's not what I would have expected.  The only posts I've seen by folks using this switch were folks trying to access a SATA HDD, and they lost access to their IDE CD-ROM drive by using this switch--no one has mentioned having an IDE HDD hooked up and whether this switch prevents access to the HDD or not!

Is you IDE HDD hooked up to a *standard* IDE controller--or is it a RAID type controller that makes the system see the controller more as a SCSI type device than *standard* IDE controller?

Thanks for sharing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

gkar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:35am

Quote:
So, even when you use the */noide* switch, the system with an IDE HDD still allows for Ghost access!!!
Yep.

Quote:
Is you IDE HDD hooked up to a *standard* IDE controller--or is it a RAID type controller that makes the system see the controller more as a SCSI type device than *standard* IDE controller?
It's just the plain o' *standard* IDE controller that comes with my Asus M2NPV-VM mobo drivers.

Quote:
and they lost access to their IDE CD-ROM
To be honest, I could not tell you if the DVD-RW etc. was visible as I never use it for imaging.

It is a 16 GB partition about 35% full & just took about 6 minutes to image my IDE HDD. The SATA HDD is a 15.4GB partition about 62% full & took some 10 minutes to image. Separate macines, of course.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:42am

gkar

As I said before, that's not what I would have expected--where's nbree when we need him  Wink ?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 7:16am

NightOwl wrote on Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:42am:
where's nbree when we need him  Wink ?!

At home coughing up green phlegm, it being the start of winter here and me having a nasty chest infection.

The -noide switch is just a more forcible way than "-fni" (which still lets the internal IDE stack initialise) of discouraging Ghost's internal IDE code, but as long as the BIOS int13 code is up to scratch (which it usually is with the enthusiast mobos), Ghost pretty much Just Works as long as you're only dealing with int13 devices.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 9:10am

nbree

Quote:
At home coughing up green phlegm, it being the start of winter here and me having a nasty chest infection.

Sorry to hear you're *under the weather*--hate those early winter season colds!

Thanks for the explanation--but, again, not what I *expected*!  Personally, I've only worked with IDE controllers--maybe some day I'll afford the newer *fancy* stuff!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 6:21pm

yeah, sorry to hear about the chest crud. been there, done that. never much fun.

drink lotsa fluids .. flush that crap .. & get lots of rest (if you can).

your winter is our summer, and it's just starting to warm up nicely here.

where did i put that suntan lotion?  Smiley

IP Logged

gkar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 12:29am

Know how you feel; I just got rid of a couple of golf balls out of my throat.

One more thing. I found that using the /noide switched bootCD it would take approx. twice as long to image my IDE-only HDD desktop than using the original non-/noide one. But it did not occur to the same degree on my other IDE-only HDD recently-built PC: newer gear was probably the reason for that.

In future I will use the original bootCD for both IDE-only PCs & the newer one (/noide) for my SATA-only HTPC now my experimenting is over.

Wether one of the mods wants to write up a small sticky with this info for future users is your call. It could save others time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print