Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with using Norton Ghost 12 (Read 16715 times)
chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Need help with using Norton Ghost 12
Jun 17th, 2007 at 2:36am

Hi

I am a complete noob and I feel kinda lost of how to approach my backups.

I have never really did too much with backups all I did was when I installed my windows after a format I made a backup with Powerquest.

I want to now install vista so I decided to get norton ghost(since powerquest does not exist anymore lol)

This is what I want.

I am thinking of having 3 operating system Vista,XP,Ubuntu.

So when I reinstall Xp I will just make a one time backup after my format and thats about it since this will be only used for a couple things and not much will be happening on it so I doubt I will need to have too many backups for it.

Ubuntu again for now I won't be using very much just for some class work I have to do(also not too sure if works with linux(i am guessing no)). So i don't know at this point if I will bother making a backup for it.

Vista will be my main drive I will be using everyday.

I was thinking of having a setup like this.

4backups total(going back one month) backed up every week.

So:

Week 1 - image1
Week 2 - image2
week 3 - image3
week 4 - image 4
week 5- image 5 overrides image 1

So I think have always a month of backups is pretty good.

So I am not sure how to go about this. When I went to the backup scheduler they had an option Recovery point set (recommended) and I am not sure if I should use something like this.

Like would it work with my situation? Since how it sounds to me that I would need to keep all  my images since it just backs up the new stuff.

As you can see I have no clue so if you can help me out or give me a tutorial to help me out that would be really good.

Also how do I validate if a image is good? Like I know powerquest had an thing where it would check to see if the image would work.

And is the recovery disk the actual cd or do I have to make one. I know when I had powequest I would just pop it in dos and it would load up powerquest in dos so I could recover is it the same sort of idea with norton?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need help with using Norton Ghost 12
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 3:44am

chobo2,

Ghost 12 creates images (recovery points) of partitions. So you will need to define 3 backups as you have 3 OS. You might be asked to "Add drives to existing backup". I wouldn't choose this. Instead, put a dot in "Define a new backup" in the same window. It will make sense in the long run.

Try this and let us know if it works.

Start Ghost  12

Click Tasks icon

click Run or Manage Backups

click Define New

dot in Backup my computer, Next

select the drive to backup, Next

dot in Recovery point set (recommended), Next

Choose location and filename, Next

Choose desired compression

Tick Verify recovery point after creation

Choose your Limit. In your case it would be 4, ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next

Ignore the Command Files window, Next

Don’t tick Schedule and don’t tick any days (it’s for incrementals)

click the drop down arrow and choose Weekly,

click Custom , select your Day and Time, OK, Next

Finish

IP Logged

chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 1:57pm

Hey
I was playing around with Recovery point set (recommended) stuff and I had a few questions on it.

Say if I did this. I made today a backup using the Recovery point setting then I said everyday at 11pm I made a backup and did this at everyday till the end of the month.

So in the end of the month I would have the base image plus  14 recovery point ones(since I think there is like 14 days left.)

Then when the new month would start I would start a new base image and then have a recovery point set for everyday so this time 31.

My questions are:

1. Would this mean if I had to recover say on July 1st I could go back to 14 days since I have 14 recovery points plus the base image?

2.  if say I got those recovery points from 1 to 14 and I loose(corrupt or something like that) recovery point 13. Would a chain effect happen? Like Can I not use 14 if I loose 13 or could I just skip 13 and still use 14?

3. How would I do something like this(what I proposed at the top)?

Would I "set a limit for number of recovery point sets saved for this backup"? or would I turn this off?
Would I then go to the "schedule" and to every day at 11pm
and then set "start new recovery point set(base)" to monthly?

Would this achieve a base recover point every month and recovery point set for each day of that month?

4. Would it be possible to set norton ghost to delete the base after every 5th base is made? So in this case now I would have 4 months of backups. Or is this something I have to manually?

5. I notice when I am practicing using the norton ghost backup scheduler when it wants to start the image at the time I wanted it asks for permission to start can you disable that? Since I am planning to make it at times I am not at the computer.

6. Do you guys think this is a good idea to do something like I proposed or should I approach it a different way?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:01pm

chobo2,

In my discussion above I avoided the use of incremental recovery points because I misinterpreted your question. OK, take this example.

Continuing from the "Ignore the Command Files window, Next" step:

Tick Schedule and tick all days. Choose your time

click the drop down arrow and choose Monthly

click Custom , tick 1st, select a time about an hour later than the time in your Schedule, OK, Next

Finish

This creates base recovery points on the 1st of each month and incremental recovery points on all days. Incrementals vary in size depending on what changes have been made to your drive but are typically around 1% of the baseline size.

Answering your questions. If you have 30 recovery points and you delete #14 then points #1 to #13 are still OK. Points #15 to #30 are useless.

Quote:
Would I "set a limit for number of recovery point sets saved for this backup"? or would I turn this off? 

Your choice. If you set the limit to 5 sets then set #1 is deleted immediately AFTER set #6 has been created. I don't tick "Limit". I delete the points manually from Windows Explorer. Ghost then offers to delete the points from its log.

Quote:
I notice when I am practicing using the norton ghost backup scheduler when it wants to start the image at the time I wanted it asks for permission to start can you disable that?

It doesn't matter. If you don't tick Yes because you are elsewhere, the recovery point is created anyway.

Quote:
Do you guys think this is a good idea to do something like I proposed or should I approach it a different way?

If you have the space, that's fine. Do whatever suits you.

IP Logged

chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:41pm

Brian wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:01pm:
chobo2,

In my discussion above I avoided the use of incremental recovery points because I misinterpreted your question. OK, take this example.

Continuing from the "Ignore the Command Files window, Next" step:

Tick Schedule and tick all days. Choose your time

click the drop down arrow and choose Monthly

click Custom , tick 1st, select a time about an hour later than the time in your Schedule, OK, Next

Finish

This creates base recovery points on the 1st of each month and incremental recovery points on all days. Incrementals vary in size depending on what changes have been made to your drive but are typically around 1% of the baseline size.

Answering your questions. If you have 30 recovery points and you delete #14 then points #1 to #13 are still OK. Points #15 to #30 are useless.

Quote:

Your choice. If you set the limit to 5 sets then set #1 is deleted immediately AFTER set #6 has been created. I don't tick "Limit". I delete the points manually from Windows Explorer. Ghost then offers to delete the points from its log.

Quote:
I notice when I am practicing using the norton ghost backup scheduler when it wants to start the image at the time I wanted it asks for permission to start can you disable that?

It doesn't matter. If you don't tick Yes because you are elsewhere, the recovery point is created anyway.

Quote:
Do you guys think this is a good idea to do something like I proposed or should I approach it a different way?

If you have the space, that's fine. Do whatever suits you.

Ok I think I am going to try to make a incremental recovery point and have 4 base points before I delete one that should limit the chance of something going wrong(unless hard-drive failure.  I can't cover for that one since I am only planning to have one external backup that will be just a fresh install.)

I think I will have enough space to all this since I just bought a new hard-drive(500gb) for mainly backup purposes and to be able to run 3 operating systems.

I also have 2 more hard-drives(35and 80gb) so some of the operating system stuff will go on these.

I think I will have at least 200gb(probably alot more to a point of even 300gb) for just backups.

So I will see how that goes and hopefully it will as be good. I just have one more question at this time though.

If I would do a recovery and I want to recover from incremental number 15(out of say 30) I would just choose the 15th one and norton would just use the first 15 incremental ones right? I don't have to do anything special.

Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:11pm

chobo2 wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:41pm:
If I would do a recovery and I want to recover from incremental number 15(out of say 30) I would just choose the 15th one and norton would just use the first 15 incremental ones right? I don't have to do anything special.

That's correct. You don't have to restore the base recovery point and then the incremental. Just choose #15. Ghost will, of course, use the base recovery point as well as #1 to #15. All points need to be in the same folder.

IP Logged

chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:09pm

Oh I have another question. How do I check to make sure a image was made proper without using it to restore?

I remember in powerquest they had an option after you made the image that you could check to make sure if it was sucessful.

Thanks

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:17pm

chobo2 wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:09pm:
Oh I have another question. How do I check to make sure a image was made proper without using it to restore?
Thanks

Open Ghost and View the Event Log is by far the easiest way.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:18pm

Chobo2, please see "Verifying a recovery point after creation" on page 68 of the Norton Ghost 12 User's Manual.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:22pm

K thanks I will check that out.

I also have anothe question what does the recovery disk actually do? Does that just install the driver that would be needed for your hardware? Like I have a scsi drive that needs a driver if I make a rescue disk would that be included?

Also does it work with cd-rws? Since when I try to make a disk it does not seem to work allow me to make one when i have a cd-rw in the machine.

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:47pm

chobo2,

Has the recovery CD arrived yet? You can't restore a recovery point without this CD. You cannot create this CD yourself.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 4:15pm

Chobo2, to better understand the function of the recovery disk (Reply #9), please see "Recovering a computer" (chapter 10) in the Norton Ghost 12.0 User's Guide.

It really is worth a bit of time to read the manual - it will greatly assist as you use the product.  Do, of course, post questions on the forum as they may arise.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

chobo2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 5:35pm

Brian wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:47pm:
chobo2,

Has the recovery CD arrived yet? You can't restore a recovery point without this CD. You cannot create this CD yourself.

Um I have the cd it came on and I can use that to load up in dos. I could even use my old image from powerquest and do a backup with it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 5:48pm

chobo2 wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 5:35pm:
Um I have the cd it came on and I can use that to load up in dos.

No DOS I'm afraid. See Chapter 10 mentioned by Pleonasm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print