Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compatiblity and number of licences (Read 3147 times)
ncdad1
Ex Member

Compatiblity and number of licences
Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:41pm

I use Ghost 10.0 on my XP laptop and it has saved me many times.

I would like to backup each of my kid's computers (2X) on my 500G external drive so I have at least one good image of everyone's machines.

1) do I need to buy a copy of Ghost for each machine?

2) Kids have Vista so I was going to buy 12.0 thinking that 10.0 would not work with Vista .. can the 12.0 CD restore my 10.0 image?  I am just wondering how much compatiblity there is between versions or if it is one version to a matching Ghost version.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Compatiblity and number of licences
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:34pm

ncdad1

Quote:
1) do I need to buy a copy of Ghost for each machine?

Yes.

Quote:
2) Kids have Vista so I was going to buy 12.0 thinking that 10.0 would not work with Vista .. can the 12.0 CD restore my 10.0 image?  I am just wondering how much compatiblity there is between versions or if it is one version to a matching Ghost version.

Correct, Ghost 10 will not function on Vista.  

Most likely, Ghost 12 will be backward compatible and able to read and restore Ghost 10 images and files--but you probably can only restore individual files onto a Vista system (if that's what your asking?)--if you restore a whole OS image made with Ghost 10 of a non-Vista system--onto your Vista system--you will end up without your Vista OS, and be back to that original pre-Vista OS!

Maybe someone with Ghost 12 experience can answer that definitively.

Probably Ghost 10 will not be able to correctly handle Ghost 12 images.

As a rule of thumb, it probably always best to keep Ghost images matched to its creating version to avoid any confounding incompatibilities.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Re: Compatiblity and number of licences
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 5:35pm

Ghost 12 is backwards compatible.  That's why I picked it up, other than that, everything seems to be covered already.
Good luck!

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print