Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost image creating problem (Read 8013 times)
sillykiddo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Australia

Ghost image creating problem
Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:37am

I've created ghost image DVD of my pc as a backup using ghost 2003 and i also made that CD bootbable but it boots up ghost console but doesn't start  re-imaging automatically how can i set it up to start te re imaging automatically...

Please help

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost image creating problem
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:38am

sillykiddo

Quote:
how can i set it up to start te re imaging automatically...

I'm always amazed when this simple, one sentence type question is asked--it's short, straight forward, and so logical a question--intuitively exactly what one would like to do--ah, but the *devil is in the details*!

You have a significant *learning curve* ahead of you if you want to accomplish this task.  There's no simple cookbook answer to this question because every one's system is different in terms of how many HDD's they have, how those HDD's are partitioned, and what file system they are using on each partition.

I can offer you a broad outline, but I can not fill in the details without a lot more information--and I'm going out of town later this morning--and I have to pack soon--so if I don't respond to your followup question(s)--I'm not ignoring you--I'm just not here for awhile--until next week!

Quote:
but doesn't start  re-imaging automatically

First, do you mean you want Ghost to create a new image of the system automatically, or do you mean you want the bootable optical disc to begin *restoring* the image you have stored on the optical disc automatically?

Quote:
i also made that CD bootbable

How did you accomplish that task?  If you used Ghost 2003's built-in ability to make a bootable optical disc--then you can not change Ghost's built-in hidden boot sector--it's predefined, and we do not have access to those boot files.  So you have to create a *custom boot file sequence* to accomplish this task!

To control Ghost so it works automatically, you need to start Ghost with a *command line* with various *switches* that tell Ghost what do do:

Switches: Alphabetical list of switches

Switches: Cloning

You can create a custom boot boot sequence in one of two ways:

1.  You can take your bootable optical disc that you have already created, use a program that can *see* the hidden boot sector of a bootable optical disk (ex.  IsoMagic, IsoBuster, UltraIso),  extract the boot files, use WinImage to edit the *autoexec.bat* file so it has the needed command line switches to make Ghost do what you want *automatically* when it boots, save those changes, and then use the *Iso* program to *inject* those modified files back into the boot sector of the *iso* file, and then re-burn your optical disc with those customized boot sector files.

2.  Or, you can start from scratch, create the needed boot files, use WinImage to create the needed boot sector, and use that boot image file to burn your custom boot files to a bootable disc:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

So, it's doable--but, again, *the devil is in the details*--many, many details!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

sillykiddo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:56pm

Thanks NightOwl .
Now i tried to inject boot files as it is mentioned on project#1 but unfortunately the ghost.exe is itself 2MB so i cannot create a 1.44MB floopy image...

What can I do  now?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:01pm

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:10pm

IP Logged

sillykiddo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:46pm

Hi
I've created ghost image using ghost 2003 and it also boots from the cd rom but i've to selected the image manually.. now i've checked the drive letter for CD rom but there is no drive letter instead it has @CD-R1

now when i try to put additional switch while creating backup using 2003 i cud not put any drive letter for that..

can anyone help me wht is the drive letter for @cd-r1

thanks

IP Logged

sillykiddo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:58pm

is the following line in autoexect.bat is wrong?

GHOST.EXE - sour - clone, mode=restore, dst=1 - sour, src=@cd-r1\cdr00001.gho - Rb

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 10:16am

sillykiddo

Quote:
but unfortunately the ghost.exe is itself 2MB so i cannot create a 1.44MB floopy image...  

This can not be Ghost 2003!  It's only 1,031,428 bytes (0.98 MB's)!  This would have to be one of the corporate DOS versions of Ghost.

Quote:
GHOST.EXE - sour - clone, mode=restore, dst=1 - sour, src=@cd-r1\cdr00001.gho - Rb

I'm hoping *sour* is supposed to be *sure*--otherwise, I'm not familiar with that switch!

In a given command line, switches should not be repeated--but may not cause any real problem.

No spaces should be inside the command statement--only commas between elements, and there should be no space between the switch indicator (i.e. *-*) and the switch name.  But there should be a space between switches and one after the initial *ghost.exe*.

I don't know if it matters, but in most examples--the source is listed first, and then the destination.

And, I can't remember for sure, but are you sure the CD is designated as *@CD-R1*--or is it *@CDR1* without the *dash*?  Whatever the designation--it needs to be exactly the same in the command line as it shows up in the Ghost interface.  

When you see your optical drive designated as *@CDxx*--that means you are using the build-in Ghost optical drive DOS drivers--and you have not loaded the separate DOS drivers such as *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdexec.exe* in *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* which assign drive letters to the optical drives.

So:

GHOST.EXE -clone,mode=restore,src=@cd-r1\cdr00001.gho,dst=1 -Rb -sure

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print