Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Can Ghost do this (for sure)? (Read 52777 times)
aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Can Ghost do this (for sure)?
Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:35am

My job has me on the road all the time, so I do all of my computing on a Notebook PC.   I need a backup program to not only to create/restore an image of my notebook's hard drive onto an external USB hard drve, but most importantly, a backup program that can faithfully restore an image that was created on my notebook onto a new notebook (in the event mine gets stolen, damaged, or whatever).

From what I've been told, the type of restore I underlined above is very difficult to assure with a high level of certainty. As everything important to me is on my notebook, should anything happen to my current notebook I must be able to do that kind of restore (without any uncertainty), so I've come here to get the facts and the best version of Ghost (if any) to do the job.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Re: Can Ghost do this (for sure)?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:52am

That's exactly what ghost does.  How reliable are you wanting it to be?  "Without any uncertainty" is a phrase that can very seldom be satisfied with computers.  Mr. Murphy provides the most applicable maxim in that respect.
To answer your questions:
Yes, ghost will backup and "faithfully" restore images onto a new drive.
No, it may not work all the time--if you find anything that will, definitely let me know.
It's good enough for me, and I'm watching over medical/legal records, if that's any help.
As to what version, what is your OS, and how old are your notebooks?

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:58am

The short answer:  No.

Imaging software programs such as Ghost and others are designed so that you can restore your HARD DRIVE in case of a HARD DRIVE failure.  They are and never were designed to allow you to migrate to a newer computer.

Here's the simple logic test:  Do you think you can remove your laptop hard drive as it exists today and install it into any laptop you want (any brand, any model, old or new) and expect it to boot, much less work?  The answer is no.

I use Ghost for two purposes:  one for hardware or software/visus protection.  I can restore last week's backup onto a blank hard drive in the event of a hard drive failure.  

Secondly my Ghost image backup contains all my data documents, files, pictures, email etc.  In the event my computer is destroyed, stolen, etc. I can buy a new computer, install application software from cd's, and then copy/restore my user-data, email etc. from my Ghost backup.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:03am

acosby wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:52am:
That's exactly what ghost does.  How reliable are you wanting it to be?  "Without any uncertainty" is a phrase that can very seldom be satisfied with computers.  Mr. Murphy provides the most applicable maxim in that respect.
To answer your questions:
Yes, ghost will backup and "faithfully" restore images onto a new drive.
No, it may not work all the time--if you find anything that will, definitely let me know.
It's good enough for me, and I'm watching over medical/legal records, if that's any help.
As to what version, what is your OS, and how old are your notebooks?

I am currently usng Windows XP Home Edition on my notebook.  If and when I have to purchase a replacement notebook it would most likely have Windows Vista.

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:11am

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:58am:
The short answer:  No.

Imaging software programs such as Ghost and others are designed so that you can restore your HARD DRIVE in case of a HARD DRIVE failure.  They are and never were designed to allow you to migrate to a newer computer.

Here's the simple logic test:  Do you think you can remove your laptop hard drive as it exists today and install it into any laptop you want (any brand, any model, old or new) and expect it to boot, much less work?  The answer is no.

I use Ghost for two purposes:  one for hardware or software/visus protection.  I can restore last week's backup onto a blank hard drive in the event of a hard drive failure.  

Secondly my Ghost image backup contains all my data documents, files, pictures, email etc.  In the event my computer is destroyed, stolen, etc. I can buy a new computer, install application software from cd's, and then copy/restore my user-data, email etc. from my Ghost backup.

OMG, two replies, two contradictory answers!   ....I must admit, your response is in keeping with what some others have told me.

Would you elaborate as to the best way for me to preserve my vital programs and data in the event something happens to my notebook?   Huh

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:31am

aaron, I don't think that acosby's and my responses were in complete conflict.  We both agree that Ghost is a time saver in the event of a hard drive failure.  And it will save you in the event you accidentally delete some or all folders (like medical/legal records).

For a traveler, I would recommend purchasing a external USB2 hard drive.  When you're home (or before leaving on a trip), make a Ghost image backup storing the image-file on your external usb2 hard drive.  You should be able to get multiple versions (generations) stored on the external hard drive.

Because laptop theft and/or accidents are common, you might want to tell Ghost to break your backup images into 4400 gb file chunk sizes, then burn those files onto dvds.  And take the dvd's with you (separately) in your luggage, away from the laptop.  Also take the emergency restore Ghost cd with you.  That way you can restore a folder or critical presentation onto a "standby" or alternate laptop in an emergency.

You might want to look at online backups as well.  I don't have the url references at hand but look up laptop online backup and travel considerations.  

You need more protection at your fingertips than just a Ghost backup to be really prepared and secure.

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:39am

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:31am:
For a traveler, I would recommend purchasing a external USB2 hard drive.  When you're home (or before leaving on a trip), make a Ghost image backup storing the image-file on your external usb2 hard drive.  You should be able to get multiple versions (generations) stored on the external hard drive.

Because laptop theft and/or accidents are common, you might want to tell Ghost to break your backup images into 4400 gb file chunk sizes, then burn those files onto dvds.  And take the dvd's with you (separately) in your luggage, away from the laptop.  Also take the emergency restore Ghost cd with you.  That way you can restore a folder or critical presentation onto a "standby" or alternate laptop in an emergency.

Yes, I already own a USB2 External Hard Drive, but not the Backup Software.   Which version of Ghost (or the like) would you say is best for my needs?

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:30pm

Ghost4Me is right.  I misinterpreted the question.  I didn't think you wanted to migrate your system.  I took you to mean save your system and restore from backup.  That is possible.  If you're running from XP to Vista, you'll have some issues with it though.  I'd buy Ghost 12, it is --to my knowledge-- the only Vista compatible Ghost available.

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:52pm

acosby wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:30pm:
Ghost4Me is right.  I misinterpreted the question.  I didn't think you wanted to migrate your system.  I took you to mean save your system and restore from backup.  That is possible.  If you're running from XP to Vista, you'll have some issues with it though.  I'd buy Ghost 12, it is --to my knowledge-- the only Vista compatible Ghost available.

I really don't care about Vista.  If I could restore my current WinXP onto a new notebook (with all of my data, docs, etc.) that would be great.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 1:07pm

Aaron, you may wish to review these threads:

Online backup
    Ghost image and STOLEN computer (related to theme of migrating from one PC to another)

Additionally, note that Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 (i.e., the ‘corporate’ version of Norton Ghost 12) has a hardware independent backup/restore capability, known as “Restore Anyware" technology.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 1:10pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
Aaron, you may wish to review these threads:

Online backup
    Ghost image and STOLEN computer (related to theme of migrating from one PC to another)

Additionally, note that Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 (i.e., the ‘corporate’ version of Norton Ghost 12) has a hardware independent backup/restore capability, known as “Restore Anyware" technology.

Thank you!!!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:09pm

Aaron, the links provided by Pleonasm are good and show a lot of the other considerations.  The least of which is simply that the OEM license for your laptop probably does not allow you to run their XP license on another computer.  For example, if you purchase a Dell desktop, and your motherboard dies, you can't put in a brand-x motherboard and continue on.  As a minimum you would have to purchase a retail version of Windows XP, and perform a repair-install.

Consider how often you might drop or get your laptop stolen--if it's once every 2 or 3 years, you would likely want a different model anyway.

So as many others have pointed out in other links,
Ghost is not a migration tool.  Use it as insurance against mechanical (or virus) failure on your hard drive, and for data/folder backups.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:11pm

acosby wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:30pm:
If you're running from XP to Vista, you'll have some issues with it though.  I'd buy Ghost 12, it is --to my knowledge-- the only Vista compatible Ghost available.

Norton Ghost Save & Restore 2.0 is Vista compatible.  From what I have read (haven't used it myself), S&R 2.0 is the version that is closest in features to Ghost 10.

Symantec has kind of confused the issue by releasing two consumer products (Ghost 12 & S&R 2.0) that are almost virtually identical for all practical purposes.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:15pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 1:07pm:

My understanding of the "restore anywhere" products is that they are designed for corporate environments, where the pc licensing is not an issue.  Also the method used is that a "golden" version is created that has drivers for ALL possible pc's in the corporate environment, so that you can restore a failure onto one of those
pre-defined
pc's.  If the company purchases a new brand/model, then the IT staff must add definitions for that brand/model.

I don't think this is practical for a consumer.

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:39pm

Ghost4me,

Thanks a lot for all of your attention to my specific backup needs - it's most appreciated.   Wink

Since you (and others here) believe I should consider another type of backup solution to ensure recovery of my personal data, docs, presentatons, etc. to another notebook, can you recommend some here (or pm me)?

aaron

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print