Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Can Ghost do this (for sure)? (Read 52776 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Can Ghost do this (for sure)?
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:58pm

Ghost does a great job of data recovery in addition to image backup/recovery.  One nice thing about an image backup is that it creates a backup of ALL of your folders, so you can't accidently forget to backup, for example, your quickbooks file which isn't stored in your My Documents folder.

Now that you've differenciated between recovery your critical DATA instead of concentrating on migrating to a new laptop with same hard drive, there are many choices.  I'll let others pipe in with their favorite backup methods.

In case you need more reading about online backups:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=online+backup

I also remember reading several articles over the last few years with a title such as "road warrior's laptop pc tool kits" or something similar.  A lot of considerations (not just backup) about traveling on the road with a laptop.  Happy reading!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:15pm

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:58pm:
Ghost does a great job of data recovery in addition to image backup/recovery.  One nice thing about an image backup is that it creates a backup of ALL of your folders, so you can't accidently forget to backup, for example, your quickbooks file which isn't stored in your My Documents folder.

Right, but how do that if I can't do a restroe with Ghost on another notebook?   --  Seems like a 'catch 22' Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:27pm

aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:15pm:
Ghost does a great job of data recovery in addition to image backup/recovery.  One nice thing about an image backup is that it creates a backup of ALL of your folders, so you can't accidently forget to backup, for example, your quickbooks file which isn't stored in your My Documents folder.

Right, but how do that if I can't do a restroe with Ghost on another notebook?   --  Seems like a 'catch 22' Roll Eyes

Don't confuse folder/file backup and restore with hard-drive-image restore.  With your Ghost backup stored on external usb2 drive, you would do it either of these ways:
1. Install Ghost on your new/replacement laptop.  Then restore data folders/files from your backup.
2. Boot your new laptop from the Ghost emergency recovery cd.  This cd is a pre-xp boot cd, much like the Windows XP install cd.  Then restore data folders/files from your bakcup.

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:05pm

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:27pm:
aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:15pm:

Right, but how do that if I can't do a restroe with Ghost on another notebook?   --  Seems like a 'catch 22' Roll Eyes

Don't confuse folder/file backup and restore with hard-drive-image restore.  With your Ghost backup stored on external usb2 drive, you would do it either of these ways:
1. Install Ghost on your new/replacement laptop.  Then restore data folders/files from your backup.
2. Boot your new laptop from the Ghost emergency recovery cd.  This cd is a pre-xp boot cd, much like the Windows XP install cd.  Then restore data folders/files from your bakcup.

I didn't realize that -- would I be able to do that on a new notebook with any verson of Ghost or Save & Restore?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:19pm

aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:05pm:
I didn't realize that -- would I be able to do that on a new notebook with any verson of Ghost or Save & Restore?

1. Scenario 1 (after installing Ghost on new laptop):  yes

2. Scenario 2 (booting from Ghost Recovery CD):  probably, depending upon Ghost version.  For example, if you were using Ghost 9, the Ghost 9 Recovery CD does NOT contain drivers for SATA hard drives, so you probably would not be able to boot from the Ghost 9 Recovery CD, and restore folders onto a SATA laptop internal drive.

For maximum reliability (applies to all software) use the latest version, either Ghost 12 or Ghost Save & Restore 2.0.  The Recovery CD's that come with those versions has the most drivers.

(This just makes sense.  An analogy is that the Windows XP SP2 install CD contains more and newer and more up-to-date drivers than the original Windows XP install CD.)

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:25pm

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:19pm:
aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:05pm:

1. Scenario 1 (after installing Ghost on new laptop):  yes

2. Scenario 2 (booting from Ghost Recovery CD):  probably, depending upon Ghost version.  For example, if you were using Ghost 9, the Ghost 9 Recovery CD does NOT contain drivers for SATA hard drives, so you probably would not be able to boot from the Ghost 9 Recovery CD, and restore folders onto a SATA laptop internal drive.

For maximum reliability (applies to all software) use the latest version, either Ghost 12 or Ghost Save & Restore 2.0.  The Recovery CD's that come with those versions has the most drivers.

(This just makes sense.  An analogy is that the Windows XP SP2 install CD contains more and newer and more up-to-date drivers than the original Windows XP install CD.)

Gotcha - but from what I read somewhere, Ghost 12 doesn't have a stand-alone recovery CD?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:23pm

aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:25pm:
Gotcha - but from what I read somewhere, Ghost 12 doesn't have a stand-alone recovery CD?

You probably read that the free trail version from the Symantec website doesn't contain the stand-alone recovery CD.

The retail version at stores contains a combination install CD and emergency recovery cd.  On my Ghost 12 CD, it states on the front "This CD may be used as an emergency boot disk.  Retrieve files, scan for viruses, check fo errors, and restore backup images with Symantec Recovery Disk.  512 MB RAM required.  Please see manual for instructions."

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:52pm

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:23pm:
aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:25pm:

You probably read that the free trail version from the Symantec website doesn't contain the stand-alone recovery CD.

The retail version at stores contains a combination install CD and emergency recovery cd.  On my Ghost 12 CD, it states on the front "This CD may be used as an emergency boot disk.  Retrieve files, scan for viruses, check fo errors, and restore backup images with Symantec Recovery Disk.  512 MB RAM required.  Please see manual for instructions."

That's probably what I read.   Btw, does Ghost 12 require .NET Framework?

Thanks!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:20pm

aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:52pm:
That's probably what I read.   Btw, does Ghost 12 require .NET Framework?  Thanks!

Yes, Ghost 9, 10, and 12 all require .NET Framework.  If it is not already installed on your pc, then Ghost installs .NET Framework automatically during the Ghost install.  (You should keep all XP updates current in my opinion.)

Don't forget though, as a laptop road warrior, backup is just one (although important) element when traveling.  Password protecting your laptop, backups, and other needed items are also important.  You don't want someone making copies of all your business information stored on your laptop or backup dvd's, etc.

IP Logged

aaron
Dude

I Love Radified!

Irvine, CA

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:48pm

John. wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:20pm:
aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:52pm:
That's probably what I read.   Btw, does Ghost 12 require .NET Framework?  Thanks!

Yes, Ghost 9, 10, and 12 all require .NET Framework.  If it is not already installed on your pc, then Ghost installs .NET Framework automatically during the Ghost install.  (You should keep all XP updates current in my opinion.)

Don't forget though, as a laptop road warrior, backup is just one (although important) element when traveling.  Password protecting your laptop, backups, and other needed items are also important.  You don't want someone making copies of all your business information stored on your laptop or backup dvd's, etc.

Right - my BIOS is password protected (heaven help me if I forget my pw because I'm told there is no way to unlock the notebook without it)!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:59pm

aaron wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:48pm:
Right - my BIOS is password protected (heaven help me if I forget my pw because I'm told there is no way to unlock the notebook without it)!

What happens if the thief removes your laptop hard drive (it takes only a small screwdriver) and connects it to his computer?

I'm not picking on you.  Protecting with bios is a good first start.  But depending upon how sensitive your information is, there are many more steps to consider (especially if you are paranoid...like me!)   Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 8:14am

aaron, you could consider encryption or at least password protection on any critical files.  I've read several articles about the need for password protecting those small usb2 thumbdrives that are easily and frequently lost.

Pleonasm is the encryption and security expert on this forum.  Use the search to find some of his comments which could help you, or start a new thread topic re encryption and password protection of data, which could draw more responses from others.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 11:30am

Concerning the use of the “Restore Anyware" technology in Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 (i.e., the ‘corporate’ version of Norton Ghost 12), I do not believe it to be the case that it is “designed for corporate environments, where ... the method used is that a ‘golden’ version is created that has drivers for ALL possible pc's in the corporate environment” (Reply #13).

The procedure for using the “Restore Anyware" option appears to be quite similar to that of a normal restore - see page 150+ in Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery User's Guide.

It would be helpful, though, to hear from someone in the forum community who has actually used the “Restore Anyware" feature.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 11:41am

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 21st, 2007 at 11:30am:
The procedure for using the “Restore Anyware" option appears to be quite similar to that of a normal restore - see page 150+

See these "extra" steps required:

Quote:
Keep in mind the following when using Restore Anyware:
■ Performing Restore Anyware to hardware that is significantly different might
require you to:

Recovering a computer

Recovering to a computer that has different hardware
■ Add mass storage device drivers.
■ Install hotfixes for the Windows operating system that you restore.
■ Reactivate your Windows operating system when the system restarts.
■ Provide your license key when the system restarts.
■ Provide a local user name and password for the recovery point when the
system restarts.

Also more issues:

Quote:
■ When you restore a recovery point by using Restore Anyware, you might be
prompted for the local administrator name and password. You should have
this information ready before you perform the restore. Technical Support
cannot restore a lost password.
■ You cannot use Restore Anyware to restore a single recovery point to multiple
computers. The product does not generate a unique SID for every computer.
■ If you use Restore Anyware with a computer that uses a static IP address, you
must manually reconfigure the computer once the restore is complete.
■ Backup Exec System Recovery supports one NIC on a system. If you have a
dual NIC system, you might need to manually configure the additional NICs
to perform a restore through Restore Anyware.

Doesn't sound like a very consumer plug-n-play restore to me.

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Reply #29 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:04pm

Quote:
aaron, you could consider encryption or at least password protection on any critical files.  I've read several articles about the need for password protecting those small usb2 thumbdrives that are easily and frequently lost.

Dead on.  The rest of these shenanigans are too expensive/time consuming.  Good encryption on important files would be your first step.  Secondarily, the bioslock is a good idea.  Following that, you enter the realm of tinfoil hats and nervous breakdowns.
If you're that worried about the files on your notebook, it might be worth looking into a verification program for it.  (Though, again, Ghost is right, someone can just remove the HDD)  Look into thumbprint verification.  It's pretty easy to do (which leads me to believe it's pretty easy to crack).
Just remember, as down the security road you go, anything you can lock can be broken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encryption#Key_size_and_vulnerability
Here's some ideas on what and how to encrypt your disk and/or files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File/folder_encryption
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_encryption_software

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print