Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why can't Ghost 9 /10 / 12 create images of entire hard disks? (Read 18886 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Why can't Ghost 9 /10 / 12 create images of entire hard disks?
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:10pm

John, I don't use Acronis TI except in test situations but I've found its cloning function to be very robust. I couldn't get it to fail and I really tried to make it fail. Others haven't been so fortunate.

Symantec's documentation on how to clone (copy a drive) with Ghost 9/10/12 is terrible and I'm not surprised we see so many failures. If done correctly it works but there is no easy way to resize partitions while cloning. I don't clone (copy a drive) in practice so I've tended to ignore Ghost 9/10/12's peculiarities.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:19pm

My question was aimed more at wondering if this feature represented  a coding challenge.

But since Acronis & Paragon have it, you gotta wonder why not Ghost?

Personally I rarely used the disk-to-image feature of DOS-based Ghost. Actually, I can't recall *ever* using it. But if Symantec wants to market Ghost as the most developed and reliable cloning prgm out there (and there are so many now), I would expect them to incorporate features AT LEAST as comprehensive as their competitors.

Basically I image only my system partition. I don't need Ghost to back-up non-system-partition  files (nobody does).

For me, I have partitions OTHER THAN my system partition. But many may not.

That reminds me, I want to include a section in the new guide about how it's best to create a small partition at the beginning of the disk for Windows + programs .. how having a single 500-gig partition (or a single 1-TB partition) represents a big waste when it comes to backing up with Ghost.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:23pm

Brian wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:10pm:
Symantec's documentation on how to clone (copy a drive) with Ghost 9/10/12 is terrible and I'm not surprised we see so many failures. If done correctly it works but there is no easy way to resize partitions while cloning. I don't clone (copy a drive) in practice so I've tended to ignore Ghost 9/10/12's peculiarities.

Brian, I agree.  However, usually someone will purchase a new hard drive in two different cases:  they are running out of room on their old hard drive, or they hear noises and think their old hard drive is getting ready to fail.

That is a very common scenario.  They just want a proportionally (or manually) expanded new hard drive copy/clone/image of their existing disk drive.

Guess this will just be a feature that will continue to be on my "hope list" for the next release of Ghost.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:48pm

John. wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:23pm:
That is a very common scenario.  They just want a proportionally (or manually) expanded new hard drive copy/clone/image of their existing disk drive.

CopyWipe from TeraByte will do this (proportionally). It's free but the beginner won't know of its existence.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:55pm

Rad wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:19pm:
Basically I image only my system partition.

Same here. I'm not interested in a whole disk image as my data is backed up separately.

Quote:
how having a single 500-gig partition (or a single 1-TB partition) represents a big waste when it comes to backing up with Ghost.

Rad, I know you have read this. It discusses this issue.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 4:00pm

Rad, concerning “I rarely used the disk-to-image feature of DOS-based Ghost” (Reply #16), I believe this is the only option in Norton Ghost 2003 that will backup the MBR.  A ‘partiton-to-image’ backup - even of the operating system partition - does not backup the MBR (if I recall the gist of this thread correctly).

In contrast, Norton Ghost 9/10/12 does automatically include the MBR in the recovery point for an operating system ‘drive’ (aka partition).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print