Send Topic Print
Nero BackItUp? (Read 8971 times)
sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Nero BackItUp?
Jul 2nd, 2007 at 1:29pm

Not technical.  Just a question.
Anybody in this crowd ever used Nero's BackItUp?  If so, like it?

I've been using Ghost for my C: Drive and it works fine.

I've got Address Book, Mail, Favorites, My Documents and a couple of games pointed to my D: Drive.

Too long ago, last September, I backed up D: to DVDs with BackItUp.  Today, I'm attempting an incremental with it.

The message in the program right now is, "Backup size is being calculated,  please wait...".  In the GUI, I can see it going through all the files.  At the pace it's going, it'll be hours before it's finished and asks for a DVD.  I guess it will take as long as it takes.

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Nero BackItUp?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 1:54pm

Is that part of Nero Ultra, or its own stand-alone prgm?

Never used it myself, but the boys at Ahead generally produce quality software, if somewhat bloated.

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 2:08pm

Yep, it's part of the Ultra package.

I guess the proof of its worth will be the day I attempt a restore.  Yeah, yeah....I know...I'm supposed to test all that before risking all my data to a single program.

Looking at Process Explorer, it's using ~90% of my 1 Gig P-III CPU analyzing the drive.  Kinda dogging down the computer.

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 12:22am

IP Logged

jcb74
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 12:41am

I tried it & found it crap - Not enough options to modify for me!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 11:46am

Ghost is still the #1 backup program as far as this old tech is concerned.
I use it to backup my C: drive to my D: drive several times a week.

But hey, sometimes you just want to do a quickie backup of your "Favorites", or "My Documents" to a second drive and not a full backup.

In years past I've written DOS batch files using xcopy to do just that little deed.
Well it is 2007 after all... Roll Eyes and surely there's a more modern way to do this.  Right?

Enter "Vice Versa Pro".  This little program will let you synchronize two folders on different drives.
www.tgrmn.com

Once you make a backup 'scheme' for a certain job, you can save that 'scheme' and it becomes a shortcut to the program using that one scheme,,,,no need to recreate it.
This is great for "Incremental" backups, where only files that have been added or changed will be copied over to the second folder. 

I have a folder with the program and several shortcuts to back up different things on my C: drive to like folders in my D: drive.

I find this much more versatile than using the xcopy method and I don't have to remember all those xcopy switches. Tongue

Check it out....it's a great little program.

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print