Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cannot get past the "Welcome to Norton Ghost" screen in Ghost 12 (Read 27546 times)
bobcat56458
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cannot get past the "Welcome to Norton Ghost" screen in Ghost 12
Jul 2nd, 2007 at 2:47pm

Hello to everyone, it’s been a long time since I’ve visited this forum.  In the past I’ve come across much valuable information posted here, so I’ll probe the minds of the experts here with a problem I’m having with Ghost 12, and Windows Vista 32 bit.  I’ve installed Ghost version 12 on a new Dell Dimension E521 desktop that is running Vista Premium Edition.  When the program starts I see the “Welcome to Norton Ghost” screen but when I press on the next button I get the following Norton Ghost error message window:

“Error E1AD3212: You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation. See help for more information about security settings.”  

I have all the permissions set to allow all the “Group or user names” checked in the “Security Configuration Tool” of Norton Ghost.  I am running as an Administrator so I don’t see why I’m having this issue.  I then installed Ghost 12 on another Dell Dimension E521 desktop to see if it was a Dell related problem, but it works fine on that computer, showing the screen where you can enter the registration code after you press the “Next” button  on the “Welcome to Norton Ghost” screen.  I’ve tried many things to try fix this problem like running the program as an Administrator, and changing the “Owner” of the “VProConsole.exe” file by right clicking on it and selecting “Properties”, then the “Security” tab, and then pressing on the “Advanced” button and then the “Owner” tab.  Next I pressed on the “Edit” button and changed the “Current owner:” which was “SYSTEM” to the other two choices listed there, I still receive the same error message.  I’ve been messing with this for a couple of days now, and I’ve done many reinstalls and tried cleaning my registry using tools like “jv16 PowerTools 2007” to get rid of left over registry entries after uninstalls.  Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!        

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Re: Cannot get past the "Welcome to Norton Ghost" screen in Ghost 12
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 2:56pm

As a user of both Vista and Ghost 12, I believe this is a Vista permissions issue.  To verify this you can turn off UAC, which requires going to the control panel and to UAC, then a re-boot.  If this fixes the issue, it has to do with permissions, and not with Ghost 12.  I still have issues once in a while with something not being allowed, so I am not an expert at fixing this.  However, do a search on the web for unhiding the true administrator in Vista, which will show Administrator on the startup menu.  When you get this error, sign on with this account which has ultimate rights.  Don't forget to turn UAC back on for full protection.

LWolff123

IP Logged

bobcat56458
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 6:00pm

Iwolff123, Thanks for your reply.  I do have UAC turned off but this does not seem to help, I did a search for “true administrator in Vista” and found a forum post by a guy named Sicundercover at the 3D Buzz forum.  He stated that to be a true administrator in Vista you need to do what is posted below:

“There is a way to activate the TRUE ADMIN and Ill tell you how but only log into it when you really need to be the boss. Being the true admin sometimes gives you too much control.

If you have Vista Ultimate or Business then follow the below instructions.

Click Start, right click Computer and select Manage. Once inside the Manager goto Local users and Groups, open Users, Right click the one named Administrator and choose Rename. Then right click it and choose Properties to delete the description as well. Log out and you will see the Admin (or what ever you named it) at the login screen. Login as Admin and assign a password.

If your using Vista Home Basic/Premium:

Hit Windows Button+R to bring up the Run screen and type cmd and hit enter. Once inside the Command console Type " net user administrator /active:yes "
dont put in the quotations and make sure to put a space between administrator and /.

Once again dont stay in admin all the time and I recommend that only users sure of their windows skill use the Admin account.”

After doing this I rebooted Vista and had a new User Account created named “Administrator”, which I logged into.  I then reinstalled Ghost 12, and after another reboot I logged into as “Administrator”, but still had the same error message as before.  I’m starting to think it may not be a permissions issue.  One thing that I do notice is if I right click on the partition that has my Operating System “OS (C:)” and select “Properties”, and than click on the tab called “Norton Ghost”, it shows, Cannot connect to agent on computer ‘ELMER-PC’. in the window there (I’ve named my computer Elmer).  I’m about ready to give up the Ghost!

IP Logged

bobcat56458
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 11:37pm

GOOD NEWS PEOPLE!!!  I finally solved my Ghost 12 problems.  It was after a failed uninstall that would not complete probably because I had altered the “Owner” and permissions.  I then used “jv16 PowerTools 2007” to remove the program which it did, and then I used it again after rebooting to clean the registry of errors.  Then I reinstalled Ghost 12 using the “Repair” function of the Ghost installer.  I had to do this because I think the Windows Install Shield still thought that Ghost 12 was still installed.  After the successful install I rebooted the computer and a window came up that showed: “Cannot connect to agent on computer ‘ELMER-PC’, but I was glad that I had gotten past the "Welcome to Norton Ghost" screen.   I then checked out the Ghost Help file in the program, and it stated in troubleshooting that the Windows Event Log in Windows Services must be enabled and started for Ghost to work.  I tried to start the Event Log but I received a Windows error message stating that it could not be started.  I searched in the web and found this solution posted by Geircito on the TechArena Community forums:

“Here's the solution:

Something (Vista itself ??) must have changed the ownership of the
LogFiles folder.

----

How to take ownership:

Open folder C:\Windows\System32
Right click folder "LogFiles" - open Properties
open Security-tab and click Advanced
open Owner-tab and click Edit
mark Administrator (or your user) under "Change owner to:"
mark "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
press OK and press "Continue" to all error messages
close all open windows

restart your PC, and the Event Log Service will restart automatically”

Well my computer was showing the right Owner “Administrator/Elmer-PC”, but I did put a check by "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”.  I did receive a couple of error messages so I thought this was not going to work, I then restarted my computer and to my surprise Norton Ghost 12 started as it should!  I hope this thread can help someone if they experience the same problem as I encountered. 

IP Logged

hansraj
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 7:11am

@bobcat56458

i am in a similar trouble like u have stated here but i am unable to understand what exactly have u done with jv powertools 2007. i have did a full format as well to get ghost working but still the prob is continuing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print