Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 (Read 13193 times)
J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 9
Jul 4th, 2007 at 10:48am

Just lost my hard drive! Dell replaced with new one. Using ghost 9 with system backup on seagate external drive. When I tried to restore system by booting thru Ghost 9 recovery disk it will recognize the seagate drive as the source drive but the only destination drive it regonizes is the seagate drive. Help

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 9
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Did you ever test booting the Ghost 9 Recovery CD in the past when everything was working?

Is the internal Dell hard drive a SATA hard drive?  If so, you will need to press F6 during the Recovery CD boot process to force loading SATA drivers from diskette (I know...most people don't have diskette drives anymore, but you might have to get a usb diskette drive if this scenario applies to you.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 3:55pm

J-Ky,

I agree with Ghost4me. Which Dell model do you have?

IP Logged

J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:08pm

I have a Dimension 9150 with 250 GB SATA II Hard Drive. I did not test boot the recovery disk before but I will from now on. So I need to get an external diskette drive to install drivers. The drivers have been reinstalled on the new hard drive as well as windows XP.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:19pm

J-Ky wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:08pm:
The drivers have been reinstalled on the new hard drive as well as windows XP.

But the drivers are not on the Ghost 9 Recovery CD which is what you are booting.  They need to be copied to a diskette for use when booting from the Recovery CD.  I recommend searching on the Dell website for the SATA drivers for your model.

You can find some inexpensive usb diskette drives on www.newegg.com and other websites; slightly more in retail stores.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:33pm

A USB floppy drive is the easiest way to do this (or you could borrow a floppy drive) but if you understand BartPE you can make a Reatogo XPE CD which contains Ghost 9 and your SATA drivers. You need another computer to make the CD.

I'm using a Dell 9150 right now. Nice computer.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:41pm

J-Ky wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:08pm:
I have a Dimension 9150 with 250 GB SATA II Hard Drive.

Is this using RAID on your Dell Dimension 9150?  If so, you have additinal considerations.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/ and search for sata drivers.

IP Logged

J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:45pm

I am not real computer literate! How do I tell if I am using RAID

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:02pm

Do you have 1 or 2 internal HDs?

You need version 5.1.0.1022 SATA drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=All&strTypes=all&Prod...

It's Item 13.  (286 KB)

Download and put all the files (about 9) on a floppy. More instructions later.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:26pm

Further. The downloaded file is a zip. Unzip it and you will have a self extracting file. Double click this and the 9 files extract to a floppy.

IP Logged

J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:00pm

single drive. I will have to scrounge up an external floppy drive. Do any of the newer versions of Ghost have the necessary drivers. This is for my business computer and I don't mind purchasing a newer version if will work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Now that is an easy solution. The Ghost 12 CD will work on your computer. It has the correct SATA drivers and it should restore a Ghost 9 image. You won't need the floppy drive.

See http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183499034#4

IP Logged

J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:46pm

Just an update! I purchased Ghost 12 from download and disk. Disk will be here in a few days. Download did not have .iso download so after 2.5 hours of chatting with 4 different people I got my download and verification that ghost 12 would read ghost 9 data (This was not a concensus since three out of the four texts said it could be done). The final tech said no problem just restore like normal ghost 12 recovery.  Of course I had to download a special CD burner program that would burn .iso boot disk.  Bottom line!  Ghost 12 read data and is currently recoverying data!  Its a mircle - Thanks for all the help!!!  Grin

IP Logged

J-Ky
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:47pm

Sorry for the spelling been a long day. It was four techs and three said it could not be done!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 9:23pm

Thanks for confirming that Ghost 12 will restore a Ghost 9 image. Let us know when you are done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print