Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost32 in WinPE 2.0 (Read 33550 times)
allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Ghost32 in WinPE 2.0
Jul 10th, 2007 at 1:44am

I couldn't find instructions for a WinPE 2.0 Boot CD with Ghost32.exe, so here they are.

1. Download Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK): vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img (992.2MB) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123...
This is the WAIK Installation Disc Image, not the WinPE Boot Image.
(Possibly, an alternative 164MB download for 32-bit systems may be found at http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/a/72ab61c6-4d8a-44b7-9353-38bf616df2c...)

2. Burn the downloaded img to a DVD

3. Reinsert the DVD and install Windows AIK

4. The program comes with its own Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Windows AIK, and then click Windows PE Tools Command Prompt. Right click the Command Prompt's Title Bar to find Edit => Paste. (Note that I had a few problems pasting things. For instance, some pasted Quotation Marks looked OK but were not, and had to be re-typed in the Command Prompt.)

5. Code:
copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86 

6. Code:
imagex /mountrw c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe_x86\mount 

7. Copy the Ghost file to your local Windows PE directory. For example, to copy RESTOREGHOST.EXE from the Symantec Recovery Disc included with Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier on D: Drive, such that Ghost32.exe loads into RAM, allowing the WinPE CD to be ejected and a DVD containing Ghost Images inserted:
Code:
copy D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\Ghost32.exe 

Edited:
For those not familiar with navigating in a Command Prompt, a better place to put Ghost32.exe is the System32 Folder. For example:
Code:
:copy D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\Ghost32.exe 

Simply type "Ghost32" at the Command Prompt in WinPE 2.0 to run Ghost32.exe.

The Documentation states that Applications (eg Ghost32.exe) can be run from CD rather than from RAM by copying them to C:\winpe_x86\tools

8. Optionally add Drivers:
Code:
peimg /inf=<c:\mydevice.inf> c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows 

For example, Toshiba RAID Driver:
Code:
peimg /inf=C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KR10N.INF c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows 

9. Code:
peimg /prep c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows 

10. Code:
imagex /unmount c:\winpe_x86\mount /commit 

11. Code:
copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim 

12. Code:
oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso 

13. Burn the ISO to CD

14. Boot the CD

Edited:
If things go awry, as they're apt to do, delete the directory C:\winpe_x86, and start again from Step 4.

Make sure to Unmount WinPE.wim first (as in Step 10, but no need to "commit".)
Code:
imagex /unmount c:\winpe_x86\mount 

There are quite a few other optional steps, such as adding "Packages" and Applications like imageX to the WinPE Boot CD, described in the WAIK Documentation.

WinPE boots to a Command Prompt. If you exit or close the Command Prompt, the machine restarts.
The Command Prompt starts at X:\Windows\System32. X:\ is the RAM Drive. In the Command Prompt, I cannot change directories to my CD/DVD Drive (D:\), or my RAID Array (C:\). No idea why.
The Command Diskpart => Volume finds my X:, C: and D: drives/volumes without a problem.
Notepad finds the drives/volumes in its "Save As" Dialog Box.
Ghost32 also finds the drives/volumes, and also locates my Ghost Images on DVD. My Ghost Images are of XP. I haven't tested a Restoration.
When I first tested WinPE with Ghost32, I received Blue Screens of Death just when the outline of the familiar Ghost Window began to appear. I have not altered the WinPE Boot Disc at all. Today, Ghost unexpectedly has decided to open.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Ghost32 in WinPE 2.0
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 3:28pm

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 7:49pm

Ben, thanks for the links. Some of the code in your "CD Forum" Post has been scrambled!?You have done a lot of work on the subject. Do you think it is shaping up to be the new BartPE?

A few things regarding my Post:

For those not familiar with navigating in a Command Prompt, a better place to put Ghost32.exe is the System32 Folder. For example, in step 7:
Code:
copy D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\Ghost32.exe 

When WinPE boots, and the Command Prompt is ready, simply type "Ghost32" to run Ghost32.exe.

To navigate to a different Drive in the Command Prompt in WinPE, simply type "C:", or "D:", or whatever. (I was trying to use the "cd" Commmand, and "C:\" or "D:\". Shows how much I know!  Smiley )

The BSOD came back after recreating a new WinPE Boot CD with Ghost in the System32 folder. To resolve the issue, I tried two things in conjunction. Firstly, turn the computer right off, and turn it on again booting the WinPE CD. Secondly, when the flashing cursor appears in the Command Prompt, type "Diskpart <enter>", type "list volume <enter>" to list the drives/volumes, and type "exit <enter>" to exit Diskpart. After that, Ghost32 ran fine. I suspect that the second step is not important, except that performing it might give all processes running in the background time to complete, hence avoiding some conflict when starting Ghost32. Next time I boot WinPE, I'll try just waiting a minute or two before running Ghost32, to see if that avoids the BSOD.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:14pm

allanf wrote on Jul 10th, 2007 at 7:49pm:
Ben, thanks for the links. Some of the code in your "CD Forum" Post has been scrambled!?You have done a lot of work on the subject. Do you think it is shaping up to be the new BartPE?

A few things regarding my Post:

For those not familiar with navigating in a Command Prompt, a better place to put Ghost32.exe is the System32 Folder. For example, in step 7:
Code:
copy D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\Ghost32.exe 

When WinPE boots, and the Command Prompt is ready, simply type "Ghost32" to run Ghost32.exe.

To navigate to a different Drive in the Command Prompt in WinPE, simply type "C:", or "D:", or whatever. (I was trying to use the "cd" Commmand, and "C:\" or "D:\". Shows how much I know!  Smiley )

The BSOD came back after recreating a new WinPE Boot CD with Ghost in the System32 folder. To resolve the issue, I tried two things in conjunction. Firstly, turn the computer right off, and turn it on again booting the WinPE CD. Secondly, when the flashing cursor appears in the Command Prompt, type "Diskpart <enter>", type "list volume <enter>" to list the drives/volumes, and type "exit <enter>" to exit Diskpart. After that, Ghost32 ran fine. I suspect that the second step is not important, except that performing it might give all processes running in the background time to complete, hence avoiding some conflict when starting Ghost32. Next time I boot WinPE, I'll try just waiting a minute or two before running Ghost32, to see if that avoids the BSOD.

As a matter of routine, I have kept copies of Ghost32 and Ghost(dos) and Ghostexplorer  (any version that is used for backing & restoring) in the root directory of the drive where the image is stored. That way after booting the computer, from CD/DVD or floppy (yes many still use floppy), you go to the image storage drive and run the appropriate Ghost program. It has worked for me very well.

Rama Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:11pm  Smiley

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 11:53pm

Hi Rama,

I have a mistrust of peripheral devices. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have had problems with everything from my printer to my USB TV tuner. So, I am reluctant to "invest" in an external drive, whether it be USB HDD or USB Flash Drive. At the moment I have two Drives. C: is a two-HDD RAID-0 Array, and D: is a CD/DVD Super Multi-Drive. If one of the HDDs in the RAID-0 Array fails, I will lose all data in the Array and be left with only the CD/DVD Drive.

Norton Ghost 2003 created a bootable DVD containing Ghost.exe and a Ghost Image Set of my "whole-disk" RAID-0 Array. I have restored from that DVD onto my preconfigured RAID-0 Array. I have also replaced Toshiba's Factory Ghost Images on the OEM Recovery DVD with my own Ghost Images and have restored from the modified Recovery DVD with the option of automatically altering the RAID level during the Recovery Procedure. I feel pretty secure with the Norton Ghost 2003 Images and my ability to recover or restore my Laptop from the CD/DVD Drive alone.

I have created a BartPE Bootable CD and a Reatogo-XPE-CD both with Ghost8 (RestoreGhost/Ghost32) Plugin. The main limitation here is the inability of my Ghost32 version (obtained from the Symantec Recovery Disc included with SystemWorks 2006 Premier) to create Ghost Images directly to Optical Media. Naturally, this drawback also applies to WinPE 2.0.

So... what am I doing? Just having a bit of fun experimenting. Basiically, I was wondering how Ghost32 went in WinPE, and wondering if there is any real benefit in creating a WinPE 2.0 Bootable CD incorporating Ghost32, as opposed to BartPE and Reatogo.... particularly when running good old XP.

I have read that WinPE 2.0 has improved (native) Networking and Device-Detection capabilities and the ability to boot from a USB Flash Drive. And, of course, it also has its own Imaging Software, imageX.

For me, WinPE 2.0 has a serious problem. With all its Networking Support, I am pretty certain that MS has totally dropped DialUp Modem Support in WinPE 2.0. (With the fantastic aid of the BartPE Community, I was able to dialup and connect to the internet from within the BartPE OS... no worries!)

With Ghost32 placed in the Directory Structure of WinPE 2.0, it is possible to boot the WinPE 2.0 CD, start Ghost32, eject the WinPE 2.0 CD, insert into the same Drive a DVD containing the Ghost Images, then Restore the HDDs. WinPE 2.0 and Ghost32 are loaded into RAM; there is no real need for two CD Drives, or for external Drives or Partitions. I'm not sure if this is possible with BartPE or Reatogo. Perhaps it is, because I do recall an X: Drive (ie RAM Drive) in BartPE.

Also, from the WAIK Documentation:
Quote:
Automatic writable RAM drive: When booting from read-only media, Windows PE automatically creates a writable RAM disk (drive X) and allocates 32 megabytes (MB) of the RAM disk for general-purpose storage. By using compressed NTFS, the 32 MB is addressable up to 60 MB.

I just think it is amazing! To run an entire OS and Applications like Ghost from RAM...

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:21am

If things go awry, as they're apt to do, delete the directory C:\winpe_x86, and start again from Step 4.

Make sure to Unmount WinPE.wim first (as in Step 10, but no need to "commit".)
Code:
imagex /unmount c:\winpe_x86\mount 

There are quite a few other optional steps, such as adding "Packages" and Applications like imageX to the WinPE Boot CD, described in the WAIK Documentation.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:34am

allanf

Very interesting!

Quote:
So... what am I doing? Just having a bit of fun experimenting.

I really enjoy doing that myself--and I appreciate when others share their experiences as well--thank you!

It's not clear--in step #5, where is the *pe.cmd x86* coming from for the copy command?  Does that come with the *Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)* download?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 3:53am

Hi Nightowl,

The PE Commands and Executables are installed with WAIK into C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools.

The Tools in the PETools Folder are:
copype.cmd - creates the directory structure in C:\winpe_x86 (for 32-bit architecture), and copies all the necessary files for building a WinPE 2.0 Image
peimg.exe - for creating and modifying Windows PE 2.0 images offline (ie before booting)
oscdimg.exe - for creating an image (.iso) file of a customized 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows PE. You can then burn that .iso file to a CD-ROM
pesetenv.cmd - ?
sys.exe -?

In C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86
BootSect.exe - "updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer. This tool replaces FixFAT and FixNTFS." (source: WAIK Documentation).

There are other tools like imagex.exe in the sub-folders under C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools; and others like Diskpart are encapsulated in the supplied WinPE.wim image. I haven't tried many of them because I really wouldn't know what they are for.

The Command Prompt that is installed with WAIK finds the necessary tools and directories. It is simply a matter of entering the code/script into the Command Prompt and pressing enter - step by step. I have re-tested the procedure, running through the sequence of steps by copying and pasting the code from this web page directly into the Command Prompt. It worked for me...

The WAIK Documentation is good, but appeared to me a little disjointed when looking for a step-by-step procedure for creating a Customized WinPE 2.0 Boot Disc... flicking between three or four "Walk-through"s and "How-to"s. Hence my original post...

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 1:36pm

a Russian Guy called Nightman has written this PE builder which you need Vista DVD
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19010

but i found it slow , the one you make with MS instructions(170MB) as you have is much faster.
I just drop the A43 file manager in ISO folder(root of CD) to get GUI if I need to.
here is another link similar to what you have achieved

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18758
and he has included some BAT files
in a ZIP form.
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=643

I have not got ghost32  so can not add any thing on that subject
Here is a Good BartPE builder Too
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
full of really cool and useful tools.
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 10:35am

Oh dear, Ben! I was trying to keep it simple, but the links you provided...  Cheesy

So, now I've included an nu2menu with DiskPart, Ghost32, GhostExplorer, ImageX, and notepad.

Thanks to the "CD Forum", especially diddy.  Smiley

Expanding on my original steps:

7. Add Programs (To do this, the WinPE.wim file needs to be mounted first, as in step 6.)

a. Copy the Ghost32 file to your local Windows PE directory. For example, to copy RESTOREGHOST.EXE from the Symantec Recovery Disc included with Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier in D-Drive:
Code:

b. Copy the GhostExp file. For example, the latest version that I have is part of Norton Ghost 2003:
Code:
copy "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\Ghostexp.exe" C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\GhostExp.exe 

Note: I can't get GhostExp to function at all in WinPE 2.0... something missing? I've never actually used it in XP either. But, it's on the menu...  Cheesy

c. Copy the ImageX File:
Code:
copy "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\imagex.exe 

This is also on the menu, but doesn't work from there. It can be run from the WinPE Command Prompt ("CMD" on the menu).

d. Download Nu2menu Beta V0.3.51 (145KB) from http://www.nu2.nu/nu2menu/ and extract all the files to a new folder at C:\winpe_x86\mount\nu2menu.

e. Open notepad and copy and paste the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<NU2MENU>
   <MENU ID="Startmenu">
       <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" DISABLED="@SetMenuPos( 'L','B' )0" MENUID="Programs">Programs</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" MENUID="System">System</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetEnvVar('ComSpec')">Command Prompt (CMD)</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@ShowRunDialog()">Run...</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" MENUID="About">About</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="SEPARATOR"></MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\setupldr.bin)),'1')" MENUID="Shutdown">Shut down</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\setupldr.bin),'1')" CMD="EXIT">Exit</MITEM>
   </MENU>

<MENU ID="Shutdown">
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\nu2shell.exe),'1')" CMD="EXIT">Exit Nu2menu</MITEM>
   </MENU>

<MENU ID="System">
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN" FUNC="taskmgr.exe">Task Manager</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" MENUID="Nu2Menu">Nu2Menu</MITEM>
   </MENU>

<MENU ID="Nu2Menu">
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\system32\notepad.exe @GetProgramDrive()\Nu2Menu\nu2menu.xml">Edit menu</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RELOAD">Reload menu</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="HIDEFROMTASKBAR">Hide from taskbar</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="SHOWINTASKBAR">Show in taskbar</MITEM>
   </MENU>

<MENU ID="About">
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">OS: Windows @GetOSVersion(), Service Pack @GetServicePackNumber(), Build @OsBuild()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">User: @GetUserName() on @GetHostName()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Windows directory: @GetWinDir()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Temp dir: @GetTmpDir()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Get environment ComSpec: @GetEnvVar('ComSpec')</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Nu2Menu version: @Ver()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Program directory: @GetProgramDir()</MITEM>
       <MITEM TYPE="ITEM">Program drive: @GetProgramDrive()</MITEM>
   </MENU>
</NU2MENU>
<!-- Nu2Menu entry for "DiskPart" -->
<NU2MENU>
   <MENU ID="Programs">
   <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\System32\diskpart.exe)),'1')" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\System32\diskpart.exe">DiskPart</MITEM>
   </MENU>
</NU2MENU>
<!-- Nu2Menu entry for Ghost32 -->
<NU2MENU>
   <MENU ID="Programs">
   <MITEM TYPE="POPUP" DISABLED="@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\ghost*.*))" MENUID="Symantec Ghost">Symantec Ghost</MITEM>
   </MENU>
   <MENU ID="Symantec Ghost">
   <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\ghost32.exe)),'1')" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\system32\Ghost32.exe">Ghost32</MITEM>  
   <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\ghostexp.exe)),'1')" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\system32\GhostExp.exe">GhostExplorer</MITEM>  
   </MENU>
</NU2MENU>
<!-- Nu2Menu entry for ImageX -->
   <NU2MENU>
   <MENU ID="Programs">
   <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\imagex.exe)),'1')" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\system32\imageX.exe">ImageX</MITEM>  
   </MENU>
</NU2MENU>
<!-- Nu2Menu entry for notepad -->
   <NU2MENU>
   <MENU ID="Programs">
   <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\system32\notepad.exe)),'1')" CMD="RUN" FUNC="@GetWinDir()\system32\notepad.exe">notepad</MITEM>  
   </MENU>
</NU2MENU>

Save the notepad document as "nu2menu.xml" to C:\winpe_x86\mount\nu2menu, thereby replacing the original "nu2menu.xml".

f. Open notepad again, and copy and paste the following:
Code:
[LaunchApp]
AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\nu2menu\nu2menu.exe
[LaunchApps]
AppPath =

Save the document as "winpeshl.ini" to C:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32.

Carry on with the next steps.

IP Logged

kns
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 11:05am

Hi allanf & anyone reading this thread

I was actually trying this method today to create a bootable ghost CD for connecting the machine to Ghostcast session, based on instructions from here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2007120608081560

The machines boots fine (booting off of an external LG drive) upto the command prompt but when I type in ghost32.exe, it gives the "bad file or command name" error in the command prompt. When I list the directories inside the X drive in prompt itself, I am not able to see the ghost32.exe file. But I am pretty sure that I had used the command for copying the ghost32.exe file over to the winpe directory, before creating the ISO. And I hope this would not have anything to do with the network drivers since I did copy over those as well.
Would you have any ideas as to why its giving this error?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print