Send Topic Print
the (Read 5410 times)
Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

the
Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:25pm

I use windows xp
I have the 2003 version of ghost which I have used for some time.
Is there any way to keep ghost from making two files? ...ghs and gho
The last backup was divided 2,147,478,166 and 610,679,810
Does this have to do with some Dos limitation?
I usually boot a floppy. Is there any benefit in starting the backup from ghost within windows and then allowing it to reboot and do its thing?
Thanks for any help and/or response

jer (the male half of jerliz)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: the
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:55am

jerliz

Quote:
Does this have to do with some Dos limitation?

That would be correct--Ghost 2003 can only create a file based on the DOS limitation of approx. 2 GB.

Corporate Ghost 8.3 has the ability to go larger--but, that is beyond Ghost 2003's ability.

Quote:
Is there any way to keep ghost from making two files? ...ghs and gho

Only if your data is less than the 2 GB limit!

Quote:
Is there any benefit in starting the backup from ghost within windows and then allowing it to reboot and do its thing?

Some folks like the Windows interface to work from when setting things up--but, more often than not--it's a potential source of problems with hardware/software conflicts rather than an advantage!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 7:16am

Thank you for taking the time to respond. One additonal question that I hope is appropriate here. Reviews I've seen give newer versions of ghost mixed comments. I have used 2003 and/or earlier versions for about 9 years now. For the most part I am very happy with the results. I just recently learned about this forum.  Without your having to spend a lot of time on a reply, do your posters find much advantage in the versions above the 2003 vintage.  Again, thank you very much for responding. It is much appreciated.
Jer

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 8:42am

jerliz

Quote:
Reviews I've seen give newer versions of ghost mixed comments.

You will find *mixed comments* about DOS based Ghost 2003 and older versions as well  Wink !

Newer versions (Ghost 9, 10, Save & Restore, 12) are based on *drive image*, and are what we often refer to as *hot imaging*--the backup must run from within Windows.  They have new features that can make them appealing such as file and directory level backups, and being able to mount images within Windows for file restores--but they also have limitations in that they can not be booted to simple DOS and automated from a command line as can DOS based Ghost 2003, etc.

I personally have older computers that are not the latest and greatest with lots of excess RAM and CPU horsepower.  I have always found that the more *background* processes that are running, the more *bogged down* the responsiveness of the system.  And the new features of Ghost have not been attractive enough to make me switch to those versions as long as my older version continues to perform without a *hitch*.

Some may have to consider the newer versions because of ongoing newer hardware components/software compatibility issues--but there are occasional issues with the newer versions of Ghost as well!

And, since Ghost 2003 is no longer available, many new users do not have the option of the older Ghost versions!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:04am

Thank you, that was very insightful. I have never had a single issue with 2003 or any of the other older versions. But you know, when the new models come out, all the bells, whistles and other trappings are some times tempting.

So I'll stick with what works and is easy and straight-forward in its use. Again, thanks for your comments
Jer

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 8:41pm

I have an additonal question regarding my use of ver 2003. I have just purchased a new hp notebook dv9335nr with Vista on it . I am very unhappy with Vista. Slow and so confusing ... and I have used ever version of Windows up until now. I am thinking of putting xp on this new notbook and forgetting about vista for now. I purchased a restore disk from best buy so I can always put the Vista system back on.

After I put Xp on the note book I want to back it up with ghost 2003. That way in the future if I want to put vista back on after a couple of Service Packs I can do so. If I want to go back to XP and stay with it I can put it back on. However, how can I use ghost 2003 to back up XP once I put it back on the note book. In the past, on my desktop I had two hard drives. It was easy to ghost the C drive to D. How do I back up the C drive on the laptop when there will be only one drive after putting xp back on.  Do I have to partition the drive and then ghost to the new partition? Or can I ghost to the CD drive on the notebook? Does ghost 2003 have that capability? Lots of questions. Hopefully someone here can help out. I am very appreciative of being able to use this forum

Thanks for any help .... Jer

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:24pm

Hi jerliz,

I am a recent user of Norton Ghost 2003, but have become a great fan of it. I have a single C: drive and no external drives, so my choice is to create Ghost Backups to Optical Media. Ghost 2003 does this wonderfully, although it is slower than creating Backups to other media.

The only problem that I came across was the unexplained rejection or incompatibility of certain types of Optical Media by Ghost 2003. I had success with Verbatim DVD-R 8x, Verbatim DVD+RW 1x-4x, and TDK CD-RW 4x-12x. I had failures with TDK DVD-RW 4x, and Verbatim DVD+R Double Layer. However Rad has reported success with the Double Layer Discs:
http://radified.com/blog/archives/000185.html.

Rather than purchasing a bundle of one type of disc, I would recommend getting single discs of various types and experimenting first. If you go that way, I would like to hear your results. From what I can understand, success with different types of discs seems to depend on the type of computer and/or optical drive.

On a single DVD, I have fitted a set of Ghost Images of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, the Microsoft Office 2000 Pro suite, Adobe Reader and various other applications. I excluded all User Files like documents, music, pictures and music, which are backed up by other means. My desired Image Sizes have not grown to the point where I need to try "spanning" over several DVDs, so I can't advise on that topic. One day...

I simply ran Ghost 2003 with its default settings and options, and away it went - rebooting into the Virtual Partition to create the Image. And I have restored from the bootable DVD it created witout any adjustments or switches. It couldn't have been easier. I hope you have just as much fun! Smiley

Edited:
I understand that Ghost applies certain switches by default. What I meant was that I haven't need to apply any additional switches. Smiley

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:41pm

Alan
I guess you ran ghost from within Windows, is that correct, and then you burned the backup from your CD-DVD burner? I'll have to try that with my old notebook.
Jerry

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:54pm

jerliz,

I have Norton Ghost 2003 installed on my Laptop. My method is:

Run Ghost
[Ghost Basic] > Backup
[Backup Wizard] > Next
[Bacup a Disk or Partition] >
             [Source] > Select ".... C:"
             [Destination] > Select "Recordable CD or DVD"
             Next
[Create a New Backup Image] > Next
[Device Information] Popup Window > OK
[Advanced Settings] > Next
[Important Information] > Next
[Disaster Recovery] Popup Window > Continue
[Norton Ghost Task Summary] > Run Now
[Norton Ghost] Popup Window ("Norton Ghost is about to run a task that will restart your computer....") > OK

Norton Ghost 2003 restarts into a Virtual Partition and creates a *Bootable* CD/DVD containing DOS ghost.exe and a set of Ghost Image Files (CDR00001.GHO, CDR00002.GHO, etc.) There is a set of files because each file is limited in size to 1.00 GB (1,048,576 KB; 1,073,741,824 bytes).

To Restore the Image, boot from the CD\DVD and, in Ghost, select the Image on the Optical Drive. There is no mouse functionality, so use keyboard's TAB and Arrow Buttons. If you require step-by-step instructions for restoring, let us know... I'll have to reboot and write the steps down with a pen and paper. If I can fumble through it, anyone can! That's why I am a fan of it! Smiley

A couple of points.
1. When using re-writeable CD/DVDs, the discs need to be formatted before running Ghost Backup. I like to re-use things where possible, so I use Rewritable Discs. But Write-Once (+R and -R) media is known to be much more stable and reliable. I have "significant" Backups on Write-once DVD-R Discs.
2. Insert the recordable CD/DVD before starting Ghost Backup. (Not sure if it is necessary. I read it as a "tip" somewhere.) Don't eject the CD/DVD until the end of the entire process.
3. When Ghost reboots to the Virtual Partition, there may be an error message stating that there is no Disc (or the likes). I think that the CD/DVD needs to "spin up" before Ghost can see it. By the time you select "Retry" (or "OK" or "Continue" or whatever?), it should be fine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print