Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NG10: Copy My Hard Drive Fails?? (Read 9853 times)
dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

NG10: Copy My Hard Drive Fails??
Jul 11th, 2007 at 1:39pm

Norton Ghost 10 won't copy Drive C: to a second hard drive.  The destination partition is empty.  Error message (see attached) says the drive is in use.  Is this error known?  Is there a workaround/solution?

Dave

ng_copy_error_box.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: NG10: Copy My Hard Drive Fails??
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 3:24pm

dyuhas,

Strange. Could you tell us about your computer. How large are the two HDs? How large is your C: drive? Any partitions at all on the second HD? IDE or SATA?

Does a reboot help?

IP Logged

dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 3:52pm

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 3:24pm:
dyuhas,

Strange. Could you tell us about your computer. How large are the two HDs? How large is your C: drive? Any partitions at all on the second HD? IDE or SATA?

Quote:
Identical 100Gb drives.  Two partitions on each (see attached Partition Magic report)

No.  But the screwy thing is the C: drive _is_ copied to F:\.  And F: is slightly larger than C:.

Dave

pm.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 4:05pm

dyuhas,

Thanks for the graphic. A big help. Looks like the copy has been done.

Could I ask why you want to copy your OS partition to an identical size HD? Do you plan on keeping the new HD in a drawer as a backup or leaving it in your computer?

IP Logged

dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 4:17pm

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 4:05pm:
dyuhas,

Thanks for the graphic. A big help. Looks like the copy has been done.

Could I ask why you want to copy your OS partition to an identical size HD? Do you plan on keeping the new HD in a drawer as a backup or leaving it in your computer?

For the time being it's insurance.  I've read quite a few posts, on this board and others, about the unreliability of NG.  If C: crashes and I can't restore from the image I have on the external USB drive than I have the copy on hand.

Make sense?

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 4:30pm

dyuhas,

It does make sense but I wouldn't do it. There are better ways.

First you should test the second HD to see if it boots. You would need to remove the first HD, install the second HD in the boot position and start up. Don't bother doing this because your second HD won't boot. See this page for the explanation. You must copy into Unallocated Space.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

I'd delete the F: drive partition from your second HD (using Disk Management) to create Unallocated Space and then copy using Ghost 10 as outlined above. Make sure you test the HD to be certain that the OS boots.

IP Logged

dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:36pm

More out of curiosity than anything else, I deleted the smaller partition on Disk 2, and merged the space with the existing partition.  I also formatted the new larger partition.  I then executed Copy My Hard Drive.  The result?  At 99% complete, NG10 crashed my WinXP SP2 system.  After reboot I discovered the partition on Disk 2 had no drive letter; no entry in MyComputer.  NG10 also changed the label to "Disk 1."

But it did complete the copy!

This software is a mess.  It certainly doesn't inspire confidence that, when needed, it will be stable.

Dave

pm2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:49pm

dyuhas wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:36pm:
This software is a mess.  It certainly doesn't inspire confidence that, when needed, it will be stable.

Dave,

I think the userguide needs to be rewritten. I've never had any problems with the software.

Quote:
I also formatted the new larger partition. 

Did you format or delete. If you formatted I wouldn't expect success.

Quote:
After reboot I discovered the partition on Disk 2 had no drive letter; no entry in MyComputer.  NG10 also changed the label to "Disk 1."

That's what it should do. Each is correct.

Quote:
At 99% complete, NG10 crashed my WinXP

That's not good. I wouldn't trust the copy.

IP Logged

dyuhas
Dude

Pacifica, CA

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 8:53pm

Copy was successful when I copied into unallocated space.

Of course to be 100% positive about the success of the copy, I'll have to take out the current C: and replace it with the copied drive.

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 9:03pm

Dave,

Good work. Yes, boot to the new HD to make sure it works. After it has booted for the first time you can then install both HDs in the computer if you wish. But definitely have it as the solo HD for the first boot.

If you do have both HDs in the computer the second HD will have drive letters after doing the above.

This is why I don't like the idea of cloned HDs as a backup.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11329...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print