Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need to Restore for real - guidance pls (Read 6599 times)
Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Need to Restore for real - guidance pls
Jul 11th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Since updating my SpySweeper program, my computer is acting up, the SS guys have no answers, and it also appears that other programs are acting up - so it may be time to restore my primary drive (C:).  

I have been able to sweep for Viruses, Malware etc so that is not the problem.

Running Ghost 10. I have never restored before and need some questions answered first.

Running a Dell 8400, WinXP-ProSP2, 2 HDD (the original Dell with C: and the 2 hidden Dell partitions-other than these 2 hidden partions, the drive is 1 large NTFS partition) and a Seagate drive with 4 partitions (one of which contains the Ghost backups), also have a CD (D:) and a DVD burner (E:).

I want to restore the C: drive back to what it was before the SpySweeper upgrade. So my understanding is:

Pls confirm that I do nothing to the drive I want to restore, no delete, format etc.

1) I want to use  Recover My Computer (Chapter 11, page93)
2) I use the WinPE Start up disk
3) Select Recover My Computer and locate the recovery point I want to use (my recovery point includes the C: drive and the 2 hidden Dell partions) - OK?
4) Select Express since I want everything put back on the drive exactly as it was?
5) Select the Destination drive as the one where C: is now (the original Dell drive)?
6) No need to Delete drive since disk had plenty of partition space?
Option questions:
1) Check for file system errors after recovery?
2) Resize drive to fill unallocated space?  All space was allocated when backed up, will restore use same entire drive? Or do I need to do something here?
3) Set drive as active - I assume yes since this is Windows and the boot drive?
4) Partition type - I assume Primary?
5) Restore original disk signature - I assume no since this is XP?
6) Restore Master Boot Record - I assume yes?
7) Preserve domain trust token on destination? - I'm not on a network per se, use a router hooked to a cable modem with Time Warner?
8) Reboot when finished - yes?

I want my Dell drive exactly the way it was, with 1 large NTFS partition, the C: drive restored, and the 2 hidden partitions restored (think they are FAT32). Also want my other drives/partitions to stay the same including letters.  Will this do this?

I think this is it, pls answer every question/step with additional comments so I can use this as my roadmap.  Pls do not refer me elsewhere as my computer is erratic and I may not get there - pls answer here.

Thank you so much for assistance.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need to Retore for real - need guidance pls
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Lexus23 wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 1:52pm:
3) Select Recover My Computer and locate the recovery point I want to use (my recovery point includes the C: drive and the 2 hidden Dell partions) - OK?

Lexus23,

Could you check in your backups folder. You should have three recovery points. One for the Dell Diagnostic partition, another for your C: drive and another for your Dell Restore partition. Ghost 10 makes partition images, not whole disk images. You only need to use the C: drive recovery point for the restore process. Not the other two.

This is how I would do it.

Shutdown computer (don't do a restart). Press the power button to start computer.
Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the destination (Your C: drive). Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
don't tick Restore MBR as it's not a new HD
Next
tick Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes.

Check your computer clock when you are back in Windows. It may be out by an hour.

Any problems?

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 7:04pm

Thanks so much.  Only clarification is regarding the MBR.
The Chapter does not mention when to use this, are you dead sure that it is only for a new disk?  I though the MBR also contained file names and other stuff.  If so that stuff is different on the current MBR vs the older restore point.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 8:29pm

Lexus23 wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 7:04pm:
Only clarification is regarding the MBR. The Chapter does not mention when to use this, are you dead sure that it is only for a new disk?   

If you don't have a special MBR (multi-booting, Dell System Restore etc) you don't even need to tick Restore MBR for a new HD. Ghost will generate a new MBR anyway. When restoring to the same HD you already have a MBR so if you tick Restore MBR you will just be restoring the same MBR that you already have. Doesn't help, doesn't hurt.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11558...

The Master Partition Table seems to take care of itself whether you tick Restore MBR or not.

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 9:59pm

Brian, if you are there now pls stay awhile as I am ready to do my restore and nervous as h---.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:05pm

If you have verified recovery points then I wouldn't worry.

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:23pm

It is in the process as we speak  Shocked Lips Sealed Undecided

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 1:39am

Everything OK?

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:14am

Sorry for the delay - needed to get all back in order fast.

YES, it did work Grin

Only issue was that SpySweeper restore.  I use both Norton Internet Security 2007 and SpySweeper.  No problem with NIS - just to re-update.  SpySweeper however could not find its maleware files, and advised program corrupt and to reinstall.  I did a reinstall over the exisiting program and all is well Cool

Interestingly when Ghost came up in the WinPE, it did locate all backups auto selected all the partitions on my Dell (Disk 1) drive.  I removed all but the Local C: partition, and did a Custom selection.  As you advised, I left the MBR unchecked (I was confusing this with the NTFS MFT in my question), I did leave the  restore disk signature checked even though it does not refer to WinXP but does to Win2000 which some programs consider the same. No problem - still dont know if I needed to or not, but all is well.

A miracle in its own rite.

Thanks to this forum and your responses.

Now a question due to the SpySweeper item.  Would it be best on future backups it one closes down "active" programs such as maleware and virus programs ?   NIS did not appear to suffer but then Ghost being a Symantec program also may know how to deal with NIS when makeing the backup image??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:10pm

Lexus23 wrote on Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:14am:
Would it be best on future backups it one closes down "active" programs such as maleware and virus programs ?   

It shouldn't make any difference. I continue to use my computer normally while the backup is in progress.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print