Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 12 doesn't see ghost 8 gho/ghs files, please help (Read 5105 times)
Phil
Ex Member

Ghost 12 doesn't see ghost 8 gho/ghs files, please help
Jul 21st, 2007 at 11:20am

After 20 years I'm still waiting for computers to make my life easier!

Wanted to install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop.  IT guy at work suggested I ghost my drive "just in case".   He used a bootup disk with version 8 and saved my files to my Western Digital external USB drive.  This operation created 7 ghs files and 1 gho file.

Of course I screwed up and formatted my whole drive for Linux (I really thought I partitioned!)  But I wasn't worried with my ghost backup.

Reinserted the version 8 disk, but it wouldn't read the USB drive, didn't even see it.

I figured that W 98 either didn't see USB or did not understand NTFS.  Went out and purchased Ghost 12 yesterday.

Inserted disk into the affected computer and it booted up into the symantec recovery disk. 

Problem:  When I tried to restore my computer, I browsed to my USB drive with the ghs/gho files, no problem.  But the program is looking for either a v2i, iv2i or pqi file, which I don't have.

I bought ghost 12 as it said it could read older versions of ghost.    

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I'd mow the lawn while restoring, but it looks like I'll just be mowing!

Thanks - Phil

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 12 doesn't see ghost 8 gho/ghs files, please help
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:33pm

Phil, .GHO files are compatible with Norton Ghost 2003 – but not with Norton Ghost 9/10/12 (although the Norton Ghost 9/10 recovery disc contains Norton Ghost 8.2 which can restore .GHO files).

This thread might help you construct a Norton Ghost 2003 diskette that can successfully see your external USB hard disk drive, and thus solve the problem.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print